Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Kombucha-whats your experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Kombucha-whats your experience Next Topic  

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  7:03:40 PM  Show Profile
I just got my Kombucha (Scoby) from my friend Lisa. I tried some and its pretty good.I mixed up a batch and its been working since Friday. I have been reading pro's and cons on the internet. Was wondering if any of you ladies here have had good or bad experiences with this drink. Did you notice any improvements and how long before you noticed ? Or did you find that it didn't help at all. I was curious what everyone who is drinking this has experienced. Some of the stuff I read was kinda scary and other info was very interesting.

Oops I almost forgot to ask... how much Kombucha do you usually consume a day? I didn't know if there was a set rule. I see different amounts depending on what site you go to.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jul 26 2010 7:13:55 PM

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  9:43:40 PM  Show Profile
kris sent me my scoby. i like the drink. i only drink a 1/4 cup or so a day. i poop better if i may say that.lol digestion seems better too. i am still learning. but i make extra and do feed it to my poultry. just my thoughts. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  08:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Linda,

I have to say I am definately an advocate for kombucha and it's health benefits. I buy a cold bottled brand that is amazing. I started drinking it about 3 years ago when I was diagnosed with an early form of cervical cancer. I had surgery to remove the cancer, but I truly beleive that the kombucha slowed the spread of it pre-surgery. I continue to drink kombucha to this day and I am cancer free and in great health. I love the stuff, it's my favorite drink. I have about one bottle a day. I've also noticed that my digestion works like a finely tuned machine when I drink it. I feel great immediately after I finish the bottle, it's a happy little moment in my busy day.

I looked your brand up and I noticed that Scoby is going out of business. I recommend GT's Kombucha. It comes in a rainbow of flavors including guava and grape (my favorite).

http://www.synergydrinks.com/home.aspx

Don't listen to the negative hype about kombucha. If you attempt to make the tea yourself and something goes wrong, or you buy tea from someone who doesn't know how to produce it properly, then you can run into problems. But kombucha as it is supposed to be is wonderful.

I'm so glad I can share my love of kombucha!
--Brandy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  1:15:23 PM  Show Profile
Linda, how's the kambucha doing so far? I have more if anyone needs them. Mine are making little babies like crazy. I have 2 gallon jugs going right now. I just threw some in the compost this last time.

So if anyone needs a kambucha baby to get them started on making their own, please feel free to email me. I just ask for the shipping cost.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  2:22:16 PM  Show Profile
Maybe this has been addressed, but what is kombucha?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  07:24:24 AM  Show Profile
good morning loyce. kombucha is a mushroom like orb. you grow it in strong tea and sugar water. you let it ferment. the drink has lots of enzymes good for the gut. it will smell like sweet vinegar when ready. it has helped my stomach. hope this helps. i have a piece. you are welcome to a start if you like. they are called scobys. chinese have been drinking it now for 1000s of years happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  2:58:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info ladies. My kombucha went bad after 3 days. It grew a black mold so I threw it out. Next time I see Lisa I will try it again. Hers is doing great.
I was so bummed when I seen the black mold.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Aug 07 2010 2:59:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  08:02:11 AM  Show Profile
i thought i saw black mold on mine. i think it is part of the scoby not mold. i could be wrong though. just my thought happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  09:19:08 AM  Show Profile
My scoby is HUGE. It is in a half gallon canning jar, but not a wide mouth & it has taken up most of the jar. Not sure how to get it out without cutting it apart.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  11:13:39 AM  Show Profile
I just read that the reason for mold is improper ingredient ratio. The most common are forgetting to add the sugar or starter tea. Although contamination could also be a problem. Like a little particle of food or something stuck on the jar. So if there is black mold on the scoby, throw it out. They compost really well.

For a gallon you HAVE to use 2 cups of white sugar. They said that is the best sweetener to use. And after so long the sugar is used up by the scoby. So there is hardly any sugar that we drink. So make sure you are using the proper amount of sugar to the amount of tea you make. Also make sure tea is cool before adding to the scoby. You only need one scoby per container. If there are more then either share them or compost them.

I hope this helps a little. And Linda, I hope you try some more as soon as Lisa has more. If not, I have plenty to share.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  6:34:59 PM  Show Profile
well kris i am not sure now. is it mold or is there black on the scoby? maybe i have been too lax also. maybe mine is sick. well can you send me a new one? i can pay shipping again and some kefir grains? i will send you some cash happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  07:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I have had great success with my Kombucha. My DH has been converted too. I haven't had any brewing since early July when I went on vacation because of our heat and humidity here in Wi this summer. We don't have air so it makes it hard to work with I have found. But I have used many different flavors of tea. We haven't had any negative results and I notice a big difference since I have not had any in a while. I like to home brew better then the store bought. But did not know that until I made my own. Coconut milk Kefir is awesome too. Great non-dairy substitute for dairy kefir. Fermentation is best.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  07:19:06 AM  Show Profile
hi betty, coconut milk sounds delish. i need to rehab my kombucha. been too busy on the farm outside these days. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Kombucha-whats your experience Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page