kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  3:30:34 PM  Show Profile
The kind you eat, not the other things! I think that's what they were called. Years ago my step mother's mother made them. I remember they had beef and carrots and potatoes and onion wrapped in a pastry and baked. They were SO good. I would love to make some now. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Ingredients:

* For the Pastry
* 4 oz/110g all purpose/plain flour
* Pinch of salt
* 2oz/ 55g butter, cubed
* 2-3 tbsp cold water
* For the Filling
* ¼ cup/50g onion, finely chopped
* ½ cup /110g potato, cut into 1/4 inch /5 mm dice
* 4oz /110g rump steak, cut into small cubes
* Salt and pepper
* 1 egg, lightly beaten

Preparation:
Makes 2 pasties
Pre-heat oven to 425 °F /220 °C/ Gas 7.

* First make the shortcrust pastry. Place the flour, butter and salt into a large clean bowl.
* Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, working as quickly as possible to prevent the dough becoming warm.
* Add the water to the mixture and using a cold knife stir until the dough binds together, add more cold water a teaspoon at a time if the mixture is too dry,
* Wrap the dough in Saran wrap/Clingfilm and chill for a minimum of 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes.

The dough can also be made in a food processor by mixing the flour, butter and salt in the bowl of the processor on a pulse setting. When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, add the water, slowly, through the funnel until the dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in Saran wrap/ Clingfilm and chill as above.

* Divide the pastry into 4 and roll each piece into rounds the size of a tea plate (approx 6 - 7 inches).
* Place the onion, potato and meat into a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Season well with salt and pepper.
* Divide the meat mixture between each pastry circle. Brush the edges with a little beaten egg.
* Draw up the edges of the pastry into a line above the center of the filling. Crimp the top edge ensuring the seal is tight. Brush each pasty all over with the remaining beaten egg.
* Place the pasties on a greased baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
* Serve hot or cold.

We like them hot with brown gravy
Linda

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  3:36:25 PM  Show Profile
P.S. They also freeze well so feel free to multiply the recipe and make a lot
Linda

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  3:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda. It seems like hers had carrots too. And do you cook the beef or not til it's in the pastry?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  4:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
You can put whatever you want in them, as long as 1)it's diced about to the size of coarse grind, about 1/4" by 1/4" size, and 2) it won't give off a lot of water when it's cooked. thus if you want to make a veggie pasty with zucchini I'd recommend oven roasting it first to drive off some of the water. The recipe is the original Cornish/Upper Michigan/Butte,Montana recipe. In all the years I was in Butte I never encountered a pasty with anything in it but meat, potatoes, onions, salt and pepper. Most everyone in Butte made theirs with either lard or Crisco, though. I prefer lard to Crisco, but now I use solid red palm oil for all my baking shortening if I'm not using butter. Half butter and half palm oil or lard would be good. The recipe should read makes 4, not 2 BTW. Also the meat can be steak meat from game like deer, elk or moose.

Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  4:24:04 PM  Show Profile
Maybe I'm thinking of something else with the carrot. I use lard too. And I have palm oil also. It really sounds good. Thanks again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile
In lower MI folk are more creative with theirs, and there's definitely carrots in many. This is one of those recipes that morphs the longer it travels around....

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  5:24:50 PM  Show Profile
We use carrots in ours, other root veggies, too. Like turnips or rutabagies. Sounds really good-maybe lunch tomorrow.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  8:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Yep! We are known here in Michigan for PASTTT-TEES (pasties) mainly because of the iron mines we had up here in the Great North Woods. The minors would bring these along for their lunches deep in the mines!

I will try to find our family recipe and post it later on.

Made me smile to see your post-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  8:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ya'll. I had no idea of the origin of these little goodies. And I have not had one since I was about 13. So it will be a treat to try them again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  8:41:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe! I love pasties too! (The kind you eat, not wear)!

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Jul 22 2010 8:42:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  10:17:01 PM  Show Profile
When I was in cornwall they had pasties you could get with apple pie on one end and the savory filling on the other end. (I was lucky enough to find vegetarian ones.)

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  06:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I was going to say that they're actually Cornish in origin, then brought to the new country (and obviously, Michigan). Miners in Cornwall took them down into the mines for lunch and supper because they are an "all in one" meal and easy to transport. When I lived in Cornwall, I ate them constantly, both savory and sweet. They are a star of the working man's lunchbox.

I plan on making them for Violet's lunch when she starts going to school! There's a LOT you can put into them to make them wonderful and filling, and soul satisfying.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pasties? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page