Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 How to go about selling or 8 acres?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How to go about selling or 8 acres? Next Topic  

janinman
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Jan
Cleveland MO
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:04:05 AM  Show Profile
My husband hates living here in the country and his health is declining so it is difficult for him to do the upkeep on the place. I told him I would agree to move to the city with him so we need to know the best way to sell our place. We have 8 acres in Cleveland, MO. A lot of it is trees. When we moved here I planted fruit trees. This year the peaches, pears, and apples are bearing fruit. I have cherries, plumbs, elderberries, and paw paws that are not big enough to produce much, yet. I also have blackberries, rasberries, blueberries, currants, gooseberries, asparagus, rhubarb, herbs, and some flowers. We have some walnut trees and hickory nut trees, too. There is 6 acres just north of us for sale that is wooded and it doesn't have any house on it. I don't know the owner, but my husband has talked to him. We have lots of deer and wild turkey since there are so many woods. We have wonderful neighbors. Our neighbors to the south own a small u-pick farm. They have blueberries, blackberries, and asparagus. I get free berries and asparagus from them for helping them with the berries. I get free goats milk for milking for them once a week and doing chores for them when they go out of town. I get free manure (rabbit and horse) from them. I have another friend that lives a few miles away that I milk for and I get free milk and eggs from her. My neighbor and friend and I get together once in awhile and make cheese. It is so much fun. It makes me so sad to leave the things that I love. I raise vegetables and herbs for my family in my garden. When the environment it right, we also have morel mushrooms that come up in our yard and woods. We have a barn, an out building (fairly nice one), and our house on the property. Our house isn't much, but we like it. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, an open living room/dining room, good size kitchen, a breakfast area, and a laundry room. The house is a simple modular home around 15 years old. I have some questions about selling the place. Should we remodle the house before we sell it? If we do, we would have to raise the price about $20,000 to pay for the remodeling. Should we try to sell it "as is" (that is how we bought it) and keep the price down? Should we list it with a realtor? We bought it from the owner and no realtor was involved. If we sell it "for sale by owner", how do we go about advertising it? The price of our home will have to be $170,000 if we do not do any remodeling because we will have to get the amount we owe out of the place to sell it. If we do the remodeling, we would have to charge $190,000. Thanks for your help! I appreciate the advice!

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:35:04 PM  Show Profile
You might try the classifieds in Mother Earth News, Grit, Backwoods Home.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  2:10:46 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like a lovely place. I am sorry that you will have to leave a place you love so much. I would probably go with a realtor. If for no other reason they have access to so many people.If you can sell as is that would surely be the best.Most upgrades are done for your own personal likes. You don't always get your money back out of them. The idea of listing it in Mother Earth News, Grit etc. is also a good one. So is advertising in a local newspaper, like the ones they leave in your paperbox for you. That is how we have rented our rental property every time, Word of mouth works too. If you have the time, I would for sure try the ways that are on your own. Just be sure you have a good lawyer that can make sure everything is done the right way to protect you. If you are on a short time budget just try it for a few weeks and if nothing developes go the realtor route.Hope it all works out for you.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  6:18:26 PM  Show Profile
We sold without a realtor years ago and it wasn't the best experience, but it was doable. Internet and all the available knowledge wasn't at the tip of our fingers at that time though. I know there is a website out there now that may actually be called for sale by owner or something to that effect that gives you all the info you need (for a price I figure) to do it yourself. I'd check something like that out so you know what you're doing. You do have to have a contract and other info ready and available for a potential buyer and states have different laws. If you find you don't want to go through doing it yourself there are plenty of realtors out there looking to make a sale. I wouldn't go with the first reator you find, but choose one you are comfortable with and will work with you.

Good luck with your future move and although I'm sure you will miss where you are at, as would I, I know in my heart if I had to move for my husband I would do it because he is so important to me. Focus on the good things that will come in the future. It's amazing what one can do in the city...even raise chickens.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  05:49:39 AM  Show Profile
I think selling it as is at a low price is your best option in todays market. Using a REALTOR is a good thing for several reasons, 1st they can list,advertise and handle all the appointments for you. The 2nd resaon I would use a REALTOR is for all their legal knowledge and amrket knowledge.
Now this is coming form a REALTOR so take it as you will. I do think it may take awhile to sell. Just knowing the market as I do... it is slow. I will pray for the best for you and your DH. Let me know if you have any other questions.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  05:56:45 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry you have to sell such a wonderful place. Wish I were in the market for one.
I would try the classifieds that Trish mentioned first and if you get no buyers that way then I would go with a realtor. We have bought and sold 3 homes and we have done it both ways. You will have to raise your price to use the realtor as they will be getting a percentage as their commission. We were fine buying directly from the owner because the title company handled a lot of the process for both parties anyway. I hope you find a nice place to move to.
One more thought. You can get a standard contract made up to have ready for a buyer, I believe a lawyer can do that for you.

farmgirl sister#43
"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 28 2010 05:59:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How to go about selling or 8 acres? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page