Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Using honey buns for quilting?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Using honey buns for quilting? Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  10:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm new at quilting and not sure I have the precision yet for making strips of exactly 1 1/2 inches wide for a fence rail quilt I want to make for Christmas. Has anyone used the "honey buns" rolls that are 1.5" x 44"? I thought they might get me started off on the right foot.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Craft Zealot,
Newbie Fiddler, Backyard Chicken Rancher

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  11:07:33 AM  Show Profile
They say they are great! I haven't used them but it sure would save you time!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile
I think that would be a great way to start I have used the charm squares in a lot of quilts. But with a mat and a wheel cuter and a good plastic ruler you can do it just fine.
With a split rail fence you usually use 8 colors of fabric and with the honey buns I think you would have at least 20 different fabrics.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  12:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Honeubuns are great! I love the pre-cut strips. Right now I am making a purse. Great for all kinds of quilts too. Happy Quilting. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  11:57:45 AM  Show Profile
I haven't used the precut strips but I think they would be good. I just wanted to share how I cut out my first ever quilt to tell you that I think you would be fine. Don't get me wrong though, cutting correctly will make things easier.

Anyway, my first quilt...I was married at 19 and moved from a farm into town temporarily. We were married in October and in April we were both laid off, me for 6 months. Needless to say I was BORED. I needed something to do and had always been handy/crafty. I walked over to the local hardware/craft/fabric store and bought a Eleanore Burns Quilt In a Day Log Cabin book and a rotary ruler and cutter. I didn't want (or didn't have, I don't remember) to spend money on the matt. Can you see where this is going? I cut out my whole first double size and baby quilt on a piece of cardboard on the floor. I would not recommend this method to anyone else but the quilt is still good to this day.. I am now 37 and my quilting technique and knowledge has greatly increased.

Anyway, don't get too stressed out.

All of creation sings Your praise!

Edited by - Singing Tree Farm on Jul 20 2010 12:04:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Using honey buns for quilting? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page