dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  12:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,
I am so excited we are starting off on a new book together. For Chapter 1 discussion, I thought we would do a little comparing and contrasting. When we read BK's Animal Vegetable Miracle, she had a definite voice and sustainability position throughout the book. JDG in This Organic Life also sets a specific tone and sustainability point of view right from the start of her book. Share your opinions on how the writing voice and point of view offered by JDG and BK compare and contrast.
Looking forward to everyone's comments!
All the best,
Tina

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort" - Jane Austen

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  03:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Finally received my copy of This Organic Life from Borders.com and started reading. I must say I can't put it down. What I like about it is that she chronicles the house building with the garden building and that she and her husband were able to grow almost all their food in suburbia. I also know the area well where she lives. I live only one county northwest of Rockland county and I used to work very close to Congers. I have been to Piermont several times. I don't want to jump ahead and give too much away, so I will comment only on the "voice". BK's voice was gentle, instructive, even-toned--much easier to swallow. JDG comes off as angry and opinionated and doesn't give much practical information. It is a voice like hers that turns some people away from the message she has to share. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  06:48:13 AM  Show Profile
I'd have to agree with much of what you say, Dianne, except I found BK's opinions to be annoying the first couple of chapters. (A lot I agreed with, I just don't like it when folks express their opinions as fact or can't understand that everyone isn't dealt the same deck of cards to play with.) I was hoping they wouldn't continue throughout the whole book,... and they didn't. I ended up liking AVM very much. So, I hope JDG vents and gets down to business like BK did. What she has said so far in relation to gardening is informative. I've got "How to Grow More Vegetables,..." by John Jeavons on my "to read" list. I like her how-can-we-make-this-work approach to more garden space. For a second there, I thought she would start a roof garden, but they just cut down the oak tree instead. I'm intrigued to see how the book will continue.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  1:18:28 PM  Show Profile
I appreciate JDG's roll up your sleeves, grass roots tone as far as it goes in Chapter 1. As much as I enjoyed BK's writing in AVM I, like Judy, felt lectured too at times. I was very disappointed when JDG cut down the oak tree for the garden, but it is interesting to see a less constrained approach to a more sustainable lifestyle. I am looking forward to discovering more of JDG's viewpoints in other chapters.

On a separate note, today I watched the movie Food Inc. and I highly (and I mean highly) recommend it to all those in this and the AVM book club. It is the visual truth of everything we are learning in these books. There is no way to watch this movie and not have your perspective changed. If anyone else has seen it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

All the best,
Tina

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  03:50:10 AM  Show Profile
Food Inc, Fresh, and King Corn are on my "to watch" list, but I must admit, I'm not sure I have the stomach for them! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  04:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Lol Diane,.... Know what you mean! You're right, Tina, we should watch them. My husband and I have talked about it, but just haven't got the gumption to do it yet.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  05:02:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh, BTW, Tina, did you want us to read two chapters a week like we did with AVM or one? On second thought, maybe we should start with one until everyone gets there book and is able to catch up,...

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  3:26:33 PM  Show Profile
Judy, Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's afraid to know the truth. I've read articles about how our food is processed, but to see it on the screen! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  05:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,
I am so sorry it took a few days to get back to you. My big church festival - The Rosetto Big Time - is going on right now and I have been busy working one of the booths at night.

I agree with Judy's suggestion that we go with one chapter a week until everyone gets the book. That means I'll be posting the Chapter 2 question on Sunday. Just out of curiousity, how is everyone's book purchasing going? If you are still waiting on a copy let me know so I keep the pace a little slow so you can catch up.

Food Inc. was hard to watch in two spots, the part on factory farmed Tyson and Perdue chickens and the part where they mass harvest cows and pigs. I have completely sworn off all non grass-fed, farm raised meat after seeing this. The sections on corn and soy products is very interesting in that it shows you the dominance of a few corporations in nearly every product we buy (they in particular discuss Monsanto). Their corn by-products touch nearly every product we buy at a store, whether a traditional grocery store item or an organic item. This is due to the fact that corn by-products are responsible for not only the food product themselves, but various packaging, fuel, and other parts of the development process. There is a very good chance, according to Food Inc., that a Monsanto corn by-product is in your toothpaste right now. The fact that such an influence is so pervasive, and seeminly unavoidable really scared me.

Talk to everyone soon,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  10:55:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by textilelover

Food Inc, Fresh, and King Corn are on my "to watch" list, but I must admit, I'm not sure I have the stomach for them! Dianne

I've seen them all and they will definitely change the way you view food production in this country. It should be recommended viewing to every American consumer.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 5.
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  2:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,
I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday. Here is the question for Chapter 2 discussion:
JDG discusses her purchase of a new home. Describe how you and your family chose the home you live in now. Did gardening or any other lifestyle pursuits (type of town, location, etc.) impact your decision and if so, why?
All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page

roseella
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

32 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  2:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes about Food, Inc being hard to watch. It was really an eye-opening experience. Just today my adult daughter said that I had sure ruined her for ever wanting to stop by the fast food hamburger place.
Peggy

myviewpaintingstoo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  3:59:01 PM  Show Profile
When we purchased a home we just needed something we could afford that we could move into. At that time, Hubby and I both worked stressful jobs and just didn't have time to put time into a fixer-upper. We did want to be in the country or at least the edge of town where we could see the country. We weren't into gardening at the time. If we were we probably wouldn't have bought our house because there is a lot of shade even though we have over two acres. However, none of that is to complain about our place - it has the prettiest view of any place I have lived. Farm fields across the road and beautiful trees in the back, pines on the North side and birches on the South side.

Judy

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  04:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Peggy, about ruining your daughter's appetite for fast food! When we moved from Long Island (all developments) to the Hudson Valley almost 20 years ago, we knew we wanted to either live in a small town or in the woods. We didn't want a suburban lifestyle. We found our house by chance--a charming custom cape on just one acre surrounded by 20 plus acres of neighbors' woods--and paid the seller's asking price for it. What sold us was the property (we did garden at the time and there was a designated sunny spot for a veggie garden) and the charm of the house. It's not very big, but it is open and spacious and with a little cosmetic work, it became "us". We are close enough to shopping, schools, doctors, etc. for it to be convenient, but far enough away to feel secluded. Unfortunately, there is more and more building of developments and apartment complexes, so we will probably not stay here forever. We have done so much to the property, though, it will be hard to leave eventually. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  2:42:59 PM  Show Profile
I can honestly say that the gardening/mini-farming lifestyle is the very reason we bought this place in 2006. We had been looking for small acreage not too far from town and this beautiful old piece came up for sale again. I still have to tell me husband(to rub it in) that if we had bought two years earlier when it was first on the market it would have cost us $30,000 less! We truly did buy it for the land, the location and the fact that we have the original water rights to the creek that runs across the south side of the property. I can identify with the process of moving from a house and gardens you've owned for such a long time--we'd been in ours for 29 years. It took at least half of that to get the flower beds the way I wanted them. Here we started over from scratch basically with the gardens, the flower beds and the pastures. Things had been so neglected outside that it's taken us this long to even get the acre(I kid you not)of lawn green. Now we have a few cows and chickens, we raise grass hay and alfalfa and irrigate from that creek. We've enlarged the garden area each year--in fact this year it could be too big, if there is such a thing.

I am enjoying this book. I even like the extra about the house and the things that go on with that. Have any of you read a little book--Eat More Dirt? I read it last year. I was thinking of it today while I was reading this book. Maybe we could read it next. Look it up on Amazon and see what you think.

Marcia

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  3:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Marcia, I definitely will read Eat More Dirt. Sounds like my kind of book! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  11:02:49 AM  Show Profile
Happy Sunday Everyone!
Here is the question for Chapter 3:
Near the end of Chapter 3 JDG states that agriculture is the foundation of civilization. This is a very broad truism that relates to both books we have read so far. Do you agree or disagree with this viewpoint. If you agree, explain an example of agriculture as the foundation for civilization from your life experience. If you disagree, give detail as to what you think is the foundation of civilization.
I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
All the best,
Tina

P.S. - I would love to read Eat More Dirt as our next book. Thanks for the suggestion Marcia!

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  11:21:18 AM  Show Profile
I agree with this truism wholeheartedly. If people cannot feed themselves, they cannot be independent and free. If we depend on big business to feed us, we eat what they supply, not what we want to eat. Although I did not grow up on a farm, I have always yearned for a country life and, as an adult, did more for myself and my family to maintain self-sufficiency. Regarding agriculture, we grow what we can, raise laying hens and honeybees, and buy locally grown produce and meats. Agribusiness is not agriculture. According to Michael Pollan, most of what we buy from the supermarket is not food, but food-like products. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  09:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Had to think about this for a while. From the standpoint of what do we need to survive each day on this earth, agriculture would be the foundation of civilization. The only reason I hesitate is because our need for socialization, relationships, is also necessary for civilization. Good question, Tina!

I like the recipes she includes in the chapter. They add a little spice (no pun intended)to the book. I've tried a couple and liked them. I'm also in the process of using one of her gardening suggestion. This is truly a practical book! Judy

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  03:32:30 AM  Show Profile
Tina, I forgot to mention that I love your Jane Austen quote! Dianne

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  07:07:55 AM  Show Profile
I have not read these books, but will look into them!! I am trying to get brave enough to watch food inc!!

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  09:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,
I hope all of you are having a blessed Sunday. Here is the question to Chapter 4:
This chapter focused on JDG's struggles in building her home, establishing relationships with neighbors (to say the least when it comes to Barry!), and setting up her garden. In the case of JDG, her garden really is the heart of her home. If you have a garden, what role does it play in your life, beyond just a means of supplying food or flowers? What do you think this says about the emotional/psychological benefits of agriculture and gardening overall.

Wishing everyone all the best,
Tina

P.S. Thank you Diane for the compliment. I adore Jane Austen and this is my favorite quote for her by far!

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  01:57:03 AM  Show Profile
There's something peaceful, relaxing and fulfilling about gardening. It's a fun kind of work. Judy

Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  04:08:46 AM  Show Profile
Tina, Just getting back to MJF after a college tour circuit with our third child. Thank you again for doing this online book discussion. I realize there are not nearly as many participants as there were for AVM, but don't be discouraged. I always feel if you reach just one person, it's worth it!

After many years of not planting vegetables on our property (a losing battle against deer), I participated in the AVM online book discussion and decided to try it again. I feel empowered! We certainly don't grow everything we eat, but it's a start. I admit (and I may have said this here before), I was more receptive to BK in AVM, than I am to Joan in TOL, so we started veggie gardening again, buying more from the farmers' market, and eating grass-fed organic beef (we already have hens for eggs and drink raw milk). I feel more in control of what I feed my family.

I also have (too) many flower gardens, an herb garden, fruit patch, fruit trees, you name it, and gardening for me is not only relaxing but creative. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

LadyDarcy
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Darcy
Billings MT
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  2:10:20 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie and was wondering if it is to late to get in on the next book for "This Organic Life Bookclub"?
Love to read, Love to learn, & most of all enjoy getting to know my "new neighbors" here at MJF.
Thank you & sincerely,
Darcy (LadyDarcy)
from Billings, Montana
You become your enviroment, so make it a good one. Make it beautiful, with your love.*** LadyDarcy***
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  05:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Hello Darcy! Welcome to the group! You are more than welcome to join in the discussion whenever you like. Just jump right in.

Diane, thank you so much for your kind words!

For this week's question, I wasn't sure how I would answer. I, too, was inspired by our AVM discussion and planted my first veggie and herb garden from seed this year. My yard is small and gets little sun, so I planted in containers that I moved around to chase the sun all day. Well, the herbs grew not the veggies. That is until this Tuesday. I was sitting in the yard looking at the plants and saw what I thought was a weed in the bush bean container. I went over to pluck it and pull off a nice long bean. I poked around and noticed at least ten more in the container. I actually jumped up and down and clapped my hands. I got my husband and kids outside in the yard to see and we all ate the beans together right there in the yard. I don't know what I'd call that feeling other than joy, but that's what I got from my garden.

On a separate note, I am heading out of town on a long weekend fishing at a lake cabin with the kids and my parents. This means that I can't post this week's question until Tuesday evening. I hope this is okay with everyone. I'll go back to the Sunday schedule the following week. Have a great weekend and talk to everyone on Tuesday.

All the best,
Tina

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Reading Room: Previous Topic This Organic Life Book Club Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page