Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Next Topic
Page: of 2

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  8:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Just sat down and read this book this afternoon and it is wonderful. My mom got it at Costco and passed it along to me. Great characters and story and a really interesting look into the Nazi Occupation of the Channel Islands. I learned a lot, and laughed and cried
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  06:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Great! Glad you liked it.. I am wanting to read it too. Specially now that I know someone else liked it ;)

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  07:03:42 AM  Show Profile
I loved this book. It is sweet and quirky and a perfect quiet afternoon read. Now I want to go to Guernsey!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  08:02:55 AM  Show Profile
Karin - that is so funny, I do too. It was never even on my list before and now I'm thinking, how do I get there
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  6:55:45 PM  Show Profile
i am so glad to see good reviews here. i am on the wait list at the library for the book. i started out at number 65 on the list and have made my way to number 31. woo hoo!

farmgirl sister #37

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  3:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Sounds delightful, thanks for the recommendation!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  7:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a good read. My husband and I loved the BBC series "Island at War" this sounds similar to it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  09:11:39 AM  Show Profile
I read GL&PPP Society on my nook (Barnes and Noble's eReader -kinda like a Kindle) It is the first book I read on it (I have re-read a lot of titles though...) and I am so glad I read the book, I really enjoyed it, and I am really glad to have a nook. I read the back story about the authors online, which was sad, since the woman who wrote it died of cancer after it was released and her niece had to help her finish it because she was so sick and ended up as the co-author. It reminded of Helene Hanff's "Charring Cross Road", a book I adore and would love to download to my nook and read again (note to self). Anyone else ever read Helene Hanff's books? Do you get the same feeling of similarity as I do from GL&PPP?

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  10:27:47 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely adored this book. I wasn't sure I would love the format, with the letters back and forth, but in no time I was caught up in the characters and story. Historically, the story of the Guernsey islands is very interesting as well. I can imagine this being made into a movie but it would have to be treated very carefully to do the book justice.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:09:32 PM  Show Profile
That's funny Kimberly Ann - I was not sure if I was going to get into it when I first started reading it because of the format either, I'm glad I tried!!
I will have to look for Helene Hanff - I don't know anything about her.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Cowgirl Cocinera
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dana
Chelsea OK
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:41:12 PM  Show Profile
This is such a great story, I just loved it! I listened to it on tape, which was an added dimension since I got to hear the different accents and tones of voice. The historical asspect of the book was very intesting too.

Cowgirl cookin' makes you good lookin'
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  03:12:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy Grace, Your Farm Friend here! GL&PPS is one of my all-time favorite books. I have read it twice and listened to it as a book on CD and also suggested it for my book club. I just love the innocence (despite the horror of war) and how people so different from one another took care of each other during this difficult time in history. Isn't that what it's all about? PS...Did you get my package yet? I mailed it a week ago! Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  12:32:43 PM  Show Profile
Dianne - I got your package yesterday, although it could have got here sooner but I didn't get to the post office - one of the high school girls ran over our mailbox last week and I have to go pick everything up which is tricky given my work schedule and that I live 33 miles from where I work. Anyhow - yours is going in the mail in about 1/2 an hour, I was waiting for something else to put in it and found the perfect thing yesterday!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  12:41:05 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like a great read, too, Amy! Thanks for sharing. I will try to pick it up at the library!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  12:58:54 PM  Show Profile
I listened to this book on audio and really enjoyed the fact that they had different people read the different letters. It really made it sound more real and alive. This was an excellent story!!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  1:41:22 PM  Show Profile
I ordered it a few days ago.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  4:48:57 PM  Show Profile
I loved this book. I stayed up all one night reading it because I could not put it down. I cried so hard I gave myself a headache but, this is one of my all time favorite books. It is amazing the strength people have when faced with truly hard situations.

delicia
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  8:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Delicia - I know what you mean, and this book reminded me of how many stories of strength there are that we never hear.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

hikerchic
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Stacey
ravenna oh
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  06:05:05 AM  Show Profile
I loved this book. I found it a little difficult to read at first as well because of the letters, but after I got inot the story it didn't bother me at all. I would love to see it as a movie.

Edited by - hikerchic on Feb 11 2010 06:05:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  07:05:59 AM  Show Profile
I LOVED this book!! I picked it up purely because the title intrigued me and found a read gem!!!
Enjoy gals!!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  07:08:54 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading it yesterday.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  3:26:48 PM  Show Profile
I picked it up and put it down a million times until I finally checked all the reviews on Amazon and they all raved. I did love it!! Great book.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:10:22 PM  Show Profile
I have FINALLY gotten around to reading this book and it is absolutely fantastic. Want to get a copy to send to my Grandma. I think she would just love it. :)

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  04:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I recommended this book to 2 book clubs (one I am currently a member of and one I had to give up) and both liked it. I think it would make a great movie. I love all the different characters. Amy Grace, I am just reading your post about sending out your package to me. Thanks...as I said somewhere else, it was thoughtful and perfect. I've already read the cookbook cover to cover (LOVE the stories about each Grandma) and I found some recipes I'm going to try. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

RaspberryBee
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

Karen
Montrose Michigan
USA
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:41:05 AM  Show Profile
I love this book!!! The story is just amazing. This book, along with 'The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie', was one of those books that I wanted to shout from the rooftops and tell everybody I saw to read and enjoy :-) Some books just take you away to another time and let you in on something special. Good books - enough said

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  05:33:22 AM  Show Profile
I recently finished 'Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie' myself. I loved the main character, a feisty teenage girl. If you have the opportunity, listen to it on tape or CD--the reading is wonderful. Dianne

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page