Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 What are you reading? week of 7/18
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? week of 7/18 Next Topic
Page: of 2

Morning
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Laura
Albuquerque NM
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  11:46:13 AM  Show Profile
I thought it would be fun to see what everyone is reading this week. I am always on the lookout for the next good book.

Currently, I am reading:
1. The Alpine Scandal - Mary Daheim
It is a cozy mystery set in the small town of Alpine. The main character owns the local newspaper and of course solves mysteries. I have read them all in order and so far am enjoying them.

2. Julie - Rousseau #23/1001 Books to read before you die
My husband and I are slowly making our way through the 1001 books to read before you die list. I finally finished this one but it was tough going The writing was beautiful but the story was so boring.

Up next: I heard that Song Before - Mary Higgins Clark
Rameau's Nephew - Diderot #24/1001

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am reading The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith. It's an amazing book, citing rather diverse sources for someone who apparently wasn't trained in food science formally. I have been reading a lot about the food chain and sustainability and am impressed by how this book pulls it all together.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:31:16 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading a few books right now (a few of which are teen reads!)
I'm reading:
Three Cups of Tea- the story of how one man built 55 schools in Pakistan
Hope was Here- a teen read about a small town where a girl learns to adjust to her new surroundings
The Story of Stuff- self-explanatory!
Simple Gifts- A book about how a woman confronts her past and learns to move on
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Right now I have 3 books going.
Home Comforts--I have read parts before but am reading it through this time
Escape--The story of one of the wives of a polygamist marriage and how she escape.
Play Dead--an Ann Frasier
As soon as I finish one of these I am going to start on Make your Small Farm profitable.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Jackie Ferri
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Jacqueline
Trumbull CT
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:48:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, it's good so far. Recently I have read "Shanghai Girls" and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. They're very good historical fiction books focusing on Chinese women at the turn of the century and during WWII. Wow what eye openers!

Jackie Farmgirl Sister #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am reading

Garden Spells..for the moment can't think of author
Poems by Emily Dickenson
Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  3:47:02 PM  Show Profile
Right now reading
the secret history of the Pink Carnation by laura Willig and
366 days in Abraham Lincolns presidency by Stephen Wynalda ( I'm a history major :)
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  5:21:15 PM  Show Profile
I have the pink carnation on my reading list. I am looking forward to reading it.

tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Morning
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Laura
Albuquerque NM
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  6:07:14 PM  Show Profile
I have read Snowflower and the Secret Fan and really enjoyed it. I also have Three Cups of Tea in my TBR pile and thinking I should probably read that one soon. We read The Help for my bookclub and everyone agreed that it was a great read. Lots of good books out there
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  7:08:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Ferri

I'm reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, it's good so far. Recently I have read "Shanghai Girls" and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. They're very good historical fiction books focusing on Chinese women at the turn of the century and during WWII. Wow what eye openers!

Jackie Farmgirl Sister #1664

Resourceful Creative Organized Mom

I hear that "Snow Flower" is being made into a movie. . . with Hugh Jackman. I've read excerpts of the book, and I'm trying to figure out how Hugh Jackman fits into the movie!

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  7:10:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm the slowest reader ever. . . I'm reading An Irish Country Village currently.

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  8:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am in the thick of it with a book titled

Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All by Allan Gurganus

Me being an oral historian myself on teeny tiny scale, I find that I am ENTHRALLED with this extremely captivating book...I just can't put it down--

...718 pages of pure "T" genius!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  8:59:14 PM  Show Profile
I love getting ideas for my "to read this summer" list here!
I am finishing "Moon Spinners" by Sally Goldenbaum right now. (a knitting murder mystery) I like her books for light reading. I am also just starting Omnivore's Dilemna by Michael Pollan. Always on the lookout for good fun or serious reading!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  03:40:32 AM  Show Profile
I am reading This Organic Life by Joan Dye Gussow (for the online book club here) and Handmade Marketplace (trying to jumpstart a small business). I'm also reading Hannah Hinchman's Little Things in a Big Country (a nature journal about her life in Montana)and listening to The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (which I've read before and loved). The Vegetarian Myth sounds interesting! Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  7:29:56 PM  Show Profile
I am reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. This is probably one of my top 10 books of all time!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  03:27:11 AM  Show Profile
What is The Art of Racing in the Rain about and why is it a favorite? Dianne

Go to Top of Page

Morning
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Laura
Albuquerque NM
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  05:04:58 AM  Show Profile
I have heard a lot of good things about The Art of Racing in the Rain. I think it is a book about dogs???
Go to Top of Page

Morning
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Laura
Albuquerque NM
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  05:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Interesting that Hugh Jackman would be starring in Snowflower and the Secret Fan. Loved that book so I'm sure that I will want to see the movie too.
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  06:00:26 AM  Show Profile
I am enjoying Mitch Albom's latest book, Have a little Faith. It is the story of two clergymen from totally different backgrounds and religions and how faith strengthens and sustains them in life. It is beautiful, inspiring and moving. If you enjoy Mitch Albom's other books you will like this one too. I recommend his The Five People you Meet in Heaven and For One More day. Those two really brought tears to my eyes. Sara
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  07:06:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently reading:

1. The Organic Life along with Dianne and our reading group. We've only read one chapter so can't say much about it yet.

2. Who Me? The Autobiography of Betty MacDonald This is hilarious! She is the author of the Egg and I, The Plague and I, etc. Her autobiography puts the books in order and edits out a little bit. I read the first chapter to my family when we were on a trip and everyone enjoyed it.

3. Under the Net by Iris Murdoch This is for a Goodreads reading group and I haven't read enough yet to know if I like it.

Laura, I loved The Help and Shanghai Girls, also.

Dianne, I listened to The Historian on audio, too, and enjoyed it very much. Do you recommend "Little Things in a Big Country"? It sounds interesting.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

EarthMamaJEM
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Jenn
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  7:20:06 PM  Show Profile
I am reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Sophies-World-Novel-History-Philosophy/dp/0425152251

Sophie's World right now and loving it!

Also just finished the first installment of the Wonderland quartet by Joyce Carol Oates and need to find the next 3 books (probably going to resort to abebooks.com ) and then I can begin the next one.

I usually have 2 novels going at once.

I am Jenn. Wife to A, mama to S, B, L and V.
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:45:18 PM  Show Profile
I just got and started reading "Magical Housekeeping" by Tess Whitehurst and "Reiki for Life" by Penelope Quest. Am also listening to the audio book by Sophie Kinsella called "Undomestic Goddess". It's fun and light summer romance. Hope to start "Cookbook Collector" soon....it's fiction!

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  2:11:06 PM  Show Profile
I just finished A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wollf about a gal who opens a Vintage Clothing Store; but it is mostly about the Fabrics of Friendship and Threads of Love' with a mystery woven into the story, and a little bit on Nazi-occupied France. It was a very good read!

Also Reading...Flight to Heaven by Capt. Dale Black. A true
story about a plane crash...a lone survivor...and a journey to Heaven and back.

And Messenger of Truth (a Maisie Dobbs Novel) by Jacqueline Winspear...this is the fourth book in a series about a London Sleuth named Maisie Dobbs, who was also a nurse in WW II and has opened her own Detective Agency in London. Jacqueline Winspear must have a personal background in Psychology because a lot of psychology and counseling are brought forth in these books from Detective Maisie Dobbs. The time frame of these stories are the 1930's. They are great classic reads. I love them.

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 21 2010 2:14:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  3:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Judy, Little Things in a Big Country is hand written and illustrated--like reading someone's journal. The artwork is breathtaking, but most of the book is about nature, so you have to be interested in that. It's not a book in which much happens, and the author is very liberal and has strong opinions about our land, so be prepared. I loved her first book, A Trail Through Leaves, also an illustrated journal. Dianne

Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  11:50:58 AM  Show Profile
I just started reading Atlas Shrugged by Aynn Rand.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 5.
Go to Top of Page

Morning
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Laura
Albuquerque NM
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  06:58:37 AM  Show Profile
I actually have the first Maisie Dobbs novel. I better move that to the front of my to be read pile! It sounds so interesting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are you reading? week of 7/18 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page