Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Maybe We Found Our Hobby Farm, Again!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Maybe We Found Our Hobby Farm, Again! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:51:54 AM  Show Profile
The DH and I went up to Hixton, WI yesterday and looked at some land. It is almost 13 acres, 1/3 hardwoods and the rest wild grasses with about 3 acres rented to another farmer that is growing alfalfa. It has the most awesome barn on it, no house. We plan on building a small log home on it. The barn is in great shape. It has cement block foundation with glass block windows. No rotted wood or water leaks anywhere! It is huge with about 20 milking stalls a huge second floor with sky light windows. It also has a silo in really good shape and an attached milk house. There is water and electricity to the barn. Question: Do you all think that is enough land to have some goats, chickens, meat rabbits and maybe a couple of pigs? We want it to be our self-sufficient little farm. Of course there will be gardens too. We want to put in an offer but would like your thoughts first. Funny thing is...my DH's Mom and Dad are both from Hixton. They grew up on farms there. Small world.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Sep 03 2010 5:47:24 PM

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  11:23:05 AM  Show Profile
13 acres is plenty if you section the land wisely. You can do rotation pasture for your goats with an alley way to your milking barn, and do some renovations in the barn for the pigs with an indoor/outdoor system. You can also adjust another area in the barn for your meat rabbits, along with making another indoor/outdoor coop for your chickens. That will make your time wisely used as far as feeding/cleaning etc the animal pens. Then you have plenty of room for a big canning garden and also a separete kitchen garden if you want. I think you would do just fine there, if you take your time to plan out where everything will go, good luck.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:05:45 PM  Show Profile
13 acres sounds like a good amount of land to do what you have in mind. I am excited for you and to think that is where you have family roots is really nice.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:48:20 PM  Show Profile
We only have 11 acres and we have a small acreage that does very well so I think 13 should work out very well.

Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  09:08:43 AM  Show Profile
13 acres is enough to have all that and a few cows and horses too. And if the barn has electric and looks as good as it sounds, you could live there til you get your house built. I would. I love barns. And I would love to see that one. You should definetely put in an offer on it quick. Oh, how exciting for you! I am excited for you. I can't wait to hear more about it. Would love to see some pictures too.

I only have 3 acres and have chickens, 4 goats, 2 cows and dogs and cats. And 9 turkeys. I plan on getting some pigs too. And another bottle baby calf.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  09:17:18 AM  Show Profile
I second to Kris' comment of living upstairs in the mean time!..

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  09:25:26 AM  Show Profile
I was actually thinking about making the upper floor into our house. We are thinking about that. The second floor is beautiful! It even has four skylights that are in amazing shape. I would do a great room-all open except the bedroom and bath. Probably would be less expensive than building a seperate house. There is a house made from a barn outside of the city where I live and it is gorgeous!
Kris-I did not want to take any pictures yet, in fear that we don't get it. If we do...the first thing I am going to do is post some photos of that amazing barn! The barn is 34 X 70 not counting the milk house or back calving stalls. Another good thing is it is on a 1 mile long country road with only a couple of neighbors and a tree farm, orchard and remote public hunting and fishing land. Also, it is unzoned, which could be a good thing. We are looking into that.

farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Jul 19 2010 09:29:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  09:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Diane, it sure sounds like a piece of heaven on earth. That barn sounds so cool. I would for sure live in it. I so am hoping ya'll make an offer and that it's accepted and you get it soon. And I can understand about taking pictures right now. But as soon as it's yours...

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  2:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Diane I agree with Kristin, it does sound like heaven. I can only imagine what you would do to the top floor of the barn. With all your talents it will be beautiful. So happy for you and DH and let us know whats going on and anxious to see pics.

Hugs, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  6:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Diane! It sounds just beautiful! I am so happy for you!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  05:09:33 AM  Show Profile
I have goosebumps!!! That sounds absolutely gorgeous!!!

I am dying to see pictures!!

I will be praying for you.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

katrina
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Katrina
The Dalles Oregon
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  07:04:22 AM  Show Profile
It sounds absolutely wonderful! I hope all goes well for you.

www.WorkOfArtCreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  5:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Diane: I am praying you'll get the farm. It sounds wonderful and knowing you personally makes me really excited for you. I am going to April's for the River Valley Farmgirls meeting tomorrow night and I am wearing my hat! Thanks, keep me posted. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

hour3suns
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Sharon
Frankfort OH
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  6:10:25 PM  Show Profile
I agree - 13 acres is perfect. We took 2 years to find our dream farm and it's only 7 1/2 acres. Much less than we had when we lived in VA, but it's set up well. We have dogs, cats, a rabbit, a lizard, horses, sheep, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese and I'm looking into the possibility of adding a couple Large Black hogs next spring. We rotate between 3 pastures and it works quite well for us.

Good luck to you with your new place. I'm sure everything will go smoothly and you'll be there before you know it.

Smiling & Waving,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  05:16:10 AM  Show Profile
Update...I did not want to get too attached to that land due to the fact that they are asking way too much for it. We made an offer and the realtor just kind of gasped. But, we found 25 acres that is a little more diverse than the first one and it has this ancient hand hewn cabin on it that reminds me of MaryJane's shack that she restored after her farmhouse burned down. It is a lot more remote and has more hardwoods on it than the other 13 acre parcel. It is in the Richland Center area of WI. We are going to go look at this one soon!!!!

farmgirl sister #922

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  05:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Well darn! I'm so sorry, Diane. There is always a reason though. This other one sounds really good too. Good luck!!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  10:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Diane....
They both sound wonderful. I'll just pray that whatever awesome place God has planned for you - it will become evident and be a smooth process.
So exciting!

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:02:31 AM  Show Profile
God will work it out and has the best place in mind for you and your honey :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  8:00:23 PM  Show Profile
What an awesome adventure you are going on...and how exciting! To be looking for land...I can't wait for the day!! Good luck and I know you will end up where you belong. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  2:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Going to look at the 25 acre parcel on Monday! This one sounds more like what my DH is looking for. More remote and more woods! I will take some pictures and keep you all posted.

farmgirl sister #922

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  6:38:28 PM  Show Profile
hope it works out Diane. Praying for you

blessings
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  05:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait to hear how it goes and see pics! I hope you guys get something soon!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  2:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Just one more day! Don't you just hate waiting? I hope it's something you both will like. Can't wait to hear about it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile
We went and looked at the 25 acre wooded parcel yesterday! It has been abandoned since the 70's. There is a 1800's hand hewn log home on the site. It is so overgrown and the foundation is gone. There is some sort of animal living under it! It is exactly what my DH has been looking for. Very secluded...at the end of a gravel road and only one homesteading neighbor about 1/4 mile away. We also found the perfect log home in the perfect price range! Beautiful rolling hills and fields in this area west of Richland Center, WI. To top if all off the owner of the land (a sweet older woman named Margie) will finance the land. I am calling the realtor about the terms today. Margie and her DH restored old log homes before he passed. Her's is for sale and it is the cutest thing with 7.5 acres of pasture. DH wants more land than that. I forgot to mention there is a dairy barn that is in way better shape than the house. Wish us luck!

farmgirl sister #922

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  08:09:18 AM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful Diane>

blessins
Tammy

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  08:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds amazing!! Are you going to try to restore the 1800's log home? Please say yes! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Maybe We Found Our Hobby Farm, Again! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page