Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Bought the 5th Wheel! We're on our way!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Bought the 5th Wheel! We're on our way!! Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  08:52:53 AM  Show Profile
We took about a week off last week. Hubby and one of our friends went down to northern CA and got the 5th wheel. Brought it back, set it up and we're good to go!

We have been calling the landowner about selling his piece of land but he won't respond. So we went to the courthouse and found out about his taxes. He seems to pay them every two years or so, never enough time to let the land get foreclosed. But we got his physical address and periodically we go through his town. So...we figgered we'd show up on his doorstep and ask him if he'd sell the land. He has a business also and we'd rather try there first.

If not...Plan B! Another guy bought 11 acres and then figgered out that it's too much to really take care of. So, he might sell us about 3-5 acres. Then there is a patch of land that is on the highway but it's too close to the pavement for me. I'd rather be back off in the woods, not so close. This isn't an investment, it's to be our home. I think there is 9 acres there and that's too much, don't want that much.

Our plan is to buy our land first then maybe looking at buying back tax land, but we have to have a permanant home first. I don't want to buy back tax land, build something and then the owner redeems the land and we're out of the door. So, buy our land and then look at other back tax land.

It's all finally coming together! Whew!!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:44:24 AM  Show Profile
... sound like things are rolling along bit by bit.. good to hear!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Winona, are you going to live in the 5th wheel or are you going to build some day? Sounds like your plan is coming to fruition. Happy for you!

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  10:49:02 AM  Show Profile
I hope you get the land you want, Winona. Ya'll need something that is just right and don't settle for anything less.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:12:42 PM  Show Profile
We're going to build a cabin from a kit 'one of these days'. But that's in the future. I did the worksheet for the kit and will all the perks, the whole kit comes to about $22K. Not bad, eh?

But we want everything paid for as we go along, so the kit is on the back burner. A coupld of our friends have bought similar kits and been very happy with them.

We cashed in everything we have except for the big one (which we can't touch for a few years), we're not making a cent on them anyway and could put the money to good use here. Get things while prices are way down. Great deals are to be had.

A guy we sort of know got 5 acres with house and barns, fenced, well and septic for $9K. The previous owners moved in, not realizing what kind of winters we have (they didn't do research, only how pretty our summers are...). It took a couple of years for them to not want to be there. Basically, they sold the place for as much as it would cost them to move back to the Southern-Midwest.

There are other stories like that too. Lots of for sale signs up. But we want to be on the, er, 'cheap' end and do things ourselves. Don't have a whole lot of money to plunk down at once.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com .

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  2:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, after rereading my post, I want to make sure it's clear, that's $9,000. That's not a typo! Nine grand for the whole place!!

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Bought the 5th Wheel! We're on our way!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page