Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 What do you Collect - Exchange
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic What do you Collect - Exchange Next Topic
Page: of 2

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  09:41:19 AM  Show Profile
Here is another idea. What about if we find out what little knick knacky things we all collect and then when we see something at a yardsale or flea market etc we pick up a small collection of things to send on to those who collect them. Just an example, I collect cocker spaniel stuff - could be a vintage photograph or a little statue - We could set a price limit but I don't think it is necessary. I have to tell you many of my treasures were curbside finds.

I would love to know what you all collect, what makes your heart go pitty pat when you see it?

Also it would be wonderful to have a collection of things to send to someone who has had surgery or is ill - I know The Soap Maven is going to be out with surgery for a bit - perhaps we could all round robin her a card?

I am open to ideas - gee, I have not even had coffee this am and am on a roll - lol, later I will be too pooped to pop. If you smell smoke today - it is me....

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  10:17:20 AM  Show Profile
YOUR IDEAS ARE ALL GOOD. I had a cocker spaniel when I was growing up. Our MAILMAN brought her to me, when he heard that our MILKMAN ran over and killed my beagle pup. So I had my cocker spaniel from the time I was four, until I was seventeen. Suspose you are taking a nap about now! HA.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  12:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy........I collect dragonflies. Anything dragonfly! I too think your ideas are wonderful. When is Soap Maven going to have surgery........everyone has been so kind to me here in my first few days of joinging, I'd love to send her a card. How do we do the address thing so it isn't on here?

(I'll be keeping my eyes open for cocker spaniel stuff from now on!!)

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  1:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Hahaha - getting ready to take a nap! I raise cocker spaniels too - I think my one - named Martha is pregnant and she is due next week but she is carrying very small, this will be her first litter. I have 7 cockers - my new male will throw beautiful puppies, he is a parti-cocker, black and white and his name is Freckles - I also have a luscious chocolate one called Oprah - the others are - Hun Bunch, Sister, Doris, Poppy. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Emma Jean, a mini poodle, Holly "Bush" and a German Shepherd, my soul mate, June. They are all my children!

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  3:00:10 PM  Show Profile
oh my! what a wonderful idea .. let's see now .. if you happen to see an early 1800's PIE SAFE or STEP-BACK CUPBOARD in 'early' paint .. you can send it MY way!

i do have many, many lovely vintage teacups .. sooo .. i'm gonna' be in that swap! xo

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  4:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm always looking for vintage children's patterns but they have to be complete as I use them to make clothes.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  6:05:47 PM  Show Profile
I can't begin to tell you what each and every email has meant to me - I have come home at last- I will look for all the things you like - I think we are all very lucky indeed to have found eachother.
A big hug to all of you and a big thank you to MaryJane!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  6:47:06 PM  Show Profile
Kathy - I have a vintage post card collection. My first cards, which I began to collect in 1975 were a real photo series labeled "In the Pines" New Jersey. They show hay being baled the old fashioned way, women in turn of the century clothes reclining hammocks in the woods. I just love all of them, and wondered if you knew what "The Pines" was and if it still exists.

By the way, I am sending you your aprons tomorrow!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  8:41:12 PM  Show Profile
I like to collect little cow things (not holstein so much..brown cows) since I got Mona. Some of the farmgirls here got me started..and I have an adorable little cow planter or pocket vase ( I am not totally sure what it is..my grandma kept change in it) that was on my beloved grandma's kitchen window sill when I was growing up.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  8:44:03 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking there has to be a way for us to keep track of who collects what. I may look into something called Smart Groups and we can list what we collect there. I will keep you all informed.

Blessed Be everyone!
Have you had a chance to read my blog?
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  06:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Kathy- What a great idea you have here! I am a flower frog collector. Wierd, I know, but I just love them. I am also a button collector. Whenever I travel, I try to find old buttons. They are unique, beautiful and SMALL, so no worrying about taking up space!!
I am making a list to take with me when I go out on "Yard Sale Friday." You never know what you will find.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  07:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
I started "collecting" little girls.... OK so I made them, but then just couldn't give them up. Well I started calling them my ladybugs, so I didnt call ALL of the neighbor kids when I called them in for dinner! A good friend started giving me little ladybugs things so I might stop making them myself... And so my collection of ladybugs began,and even my MIL sends my Ladybugs stuff like sticker and last Valentines day, a watch! Ialso love old books of classic lit, but I am so starved for space that it is loosing the charm! I cant see and enjoy them packed in storage! But ladybugs, now they are fun!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  07:59:39 AM  Show Profile
Karin, I have a round large tin of my grandmothers buttons.....I would love to share some with you (as everyone here has become very dear to me.....I love you all) and I actually saw some flower frogs at this big "junk" place. You can not believe this place, all kinds of stuff, lots of "junk" but some good stuff thrown in and I did see some frogs. I know they wouldn't be too expensive..........how do we do this, if I was to pick a couple of them up?

Georgette

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Georgette- How sweet you are to want to share some of your treasured buttons!!
I was just sitting here thinking about what I could do for you and egg cosies popped into my head!! I have been knitting them like mad lately. If you don't know what they are, an egg cosy is like a little hat you put on your soft (or hard) boiled egg in an egg cup to keep it hot. Mine are made of wool or cotton, and can be striped or solid, pointy or round, shaped like a strawberry ( sent some to MaryJane in the traveling apron!).Soooo, I was thinking I could trade you a set of egg cosies (4) in your choice of colors for the buttons. How does that sound? You can e-mail me through the forum and let me know your address, etc. and I will do the same if you would like.
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  08:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Like everyone else in the universe...oh dear...I collect enamelware/tinware - but not for display. I look for pieces I can actually use every day. Since we want to go off-grid, I feel enamelware is the best choice. I'm still trying to find a good tin measuring cup that's marked.

But I'm always at the thrift stores and I find all kinds of things I don't collect but I know others do. This is a great idea.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  08:45:51 AM  Show Profile
Karin, I don't have any egg cosies, but would treasure some I got from you!! I think that is a wonderful idea. I will email you in a minute. And you me, and I will select a few (bunch) of buttons to send. Georgette

Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  08:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Oh I love this thread! What a good idea Kathy! I think I start a new collection every week!! But I mainly collect vintage or vintage looking buttons (I make button bracelets and sell them at the local dairy), i also just started my new favorite collection of scientific or botanical prints, but those are fairly hard to find. But what i LOVE most of all are old hankies! Especially the really colorful ones with flowers or fun designs! Im gonna start my farmgirl collection list right now!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  09:36:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I think I collect too many things!! I collect old kitchen utensils, old cookie cutters, old hankies, old fabric, buttons & on and on.....

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  4:14:30 PM  Show Profile
Jeanie
I sent you an e'mail, there is a lot of info on the pines on google.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  9:35:26 PM  Show Profile
My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I'm just crazy about pickle dishes. Clear cut or pressed pickle dishes. Please don't send any to me, I have shelves of them. Here is the crazy part, I'm not that fond of pickles! LOL. I think I just love them because my farm granny always had one on the table during meal times. I always get them out for holidays and special dinners. My family loves pickles. My daughters are already claiming their favorites. I too love vintage buttons, aprons and fabric. I sew, alot and make aprons and costumes (just finishe 24 for the third grade play: Of Mice and Mozart. They were fun to make and I made them to fit my girl, so they can wear them to Colonial Williamsburg! Oh and I collect sewing patterns vintage and new, adults and children...main requirement: they must be value priced (aka: cheap) The Goodwill is a great place to pick up vintage patterns! Sewing is one of those dying arts and the patterns are in great supply! (well here at least) Gotta get some sleep soon. Just finished watching the finale of 24.
Go to Top of Page

Merryday
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Kansas
30 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  07:23:07 AM  Show Profile
What a great topic! I too collect a little bit of everything...
Ironstone, 1940's cannisters, clocks, and doll teasets (my plan is to give my daughter one on each of her birthdays).
Just yesterday I decided to start a vintage apron collection - I bought my first one for $5. It is so cute. I've found the full aprons are harder to find??

"As you travel through life, remember your goal, keep your eye on the doughnut, and not on the hole" - something my Pop used to say
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  8:20:06 PM  Show Profile
I have a small collection of vintage hats and purses...also a small collection of teacups and saucers given to me by my mother in law..they are the kind with the irridescent type sheen on them(lusterware? ..I dunno..but they sure are pretty) and of course I certainly enjoy things like old photographs (being that I am a photographer) and vintage items.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  08:12:56 AM  Show Profile
This is just too fun! What a wonderful idea!!

I LOVE ironstone! Nothing fancy....the more crazing and stains the better!!
I too have a few good junk stores near me. I'm sure I can find just about anything....except a stepback cupboard or pie safe...those are mine!!LOL
Paula :o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  09:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I collect ruby glass, vintage mother of pearl buttons to use in my daughters dresses ( which are made from vintage crochet thread I collect and I also collect vintage crochet patterns to make these dresses), Portugal roosters and old lace making tools any type as I pretty much use them all.

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  8:30:45 PM  Show Profile
I love animals without backbones, especially insects. I collect actual insects (pinned and labelled) and other insect items. My friends got together one year and got me all of the "A Bug's Life" McDonald toys except for Dimm. I'm missing him from my collection. I collect all insect things, but I like to have them as closely resembling real insects as possible (ie. 6 legs, the right number of wings, etc). Some of my favourite things over the years: an actual size glass banana slug, a jellyfish fingerpuppet, a stuffed toy of African Sleeping Sickness, and an embossed etching called "bar flies". Do you know how hard it is to find art/collectables with flies on them? I LOVE flowerflies, and I'm always looking for insect things with flies on them, but I never have much luck! And absolutely NO butterflies. Why too overdone.

I guess the other thing I collect are books. I can't bear to part with them! Even ones I don't like! I'm moving to Toronto at the end of June, and the whole process of trying to weed my book collection is daunting! I have a severe weakness for kids books, poetry books and Canadian literature. From my last move, I still have 3 boxes of books I couldn't unpack because I didn't have the bookshelf space! I also have WAY too many CD's... -Cat
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  05:19:57 AM  Show Profile
Here's a wierd item for collection (for a farmgirl, anyway!) Anything Chihuahua!!!
We have an alpha male Chi who weighs in at a whopping 9 lbs. and believe me, he runs the whole household! He knows he has a lot of territory to protect, and he does it well, rarely taking a day off. He has no idea he is the perfect snack-size for hungry hawks and large dogs. He is learning quickly about being a farmdog and loves being outside. I am partial to just about anything referencing this cute little breed.

Jo
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic What do you Collect - Exchange Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page