Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 What do you Collect - Exchange
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic What do you Collect - Exchange Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2006 :  1:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Citycat,
that is quite interesting that you collect bugs. my 15 yr. old daughter does too..she is doing a study this summer on the click beetle and my freezer has at least 2 cigar boxes with specimens in them all the time. She has been extremely interested in the world of entomology for about 2 years now..ever since we set up a tropical rainforest type cage and raised several types of butterflies and host plants and learned about the humidity requirements for rearing butterflies, etc. She has just recently been invited to take a private tour of the Entomology/Nematology department of FSU/Gainesville by a professor in the beetle area. She was quite tickled to say the least..so..no..collecting bugs isn't weird.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  3:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I collect, with the help of my children, tiny birds eggs & rocks. We have a small collection of birds eggs, we started collecting them 2 yrs ago, when we first moved to our farm. They are such tiny fagile things. The children usually find them in their wanderings around the farm. They bring them in, were they are washed with warm soapy water, and left to dry in the window. Then days later, when sure not to draw ants, they are placed in their home. Their home is currently in a old wooden pop crate hanging on the kitchen wall. The crate also is home to several odds and ends that we have picked up here & there.

Our rock collection started when the children where very young. We lived next to a RR Track. Many times after returning from a walk to the store with daddy, they would stop to get a rock to bring me. All the RR rocks are long gone, however, it started a tradition that has indured over the years. Some of our prized rocks are...one that was tumbled in the sea, it looks like swiss cheese, and when you shake it, you can here a sea shell (or another rock) stuck inside....a brick sized piece of soapstone, collected from my childhood home....a 1 1/2 ft long brick of granite, from my father, that reminds me of stonehendge....another long brick, this one marble brought back from Marblehill Georgia....several fist sized chunks of obsidian (sp?), this is the stone arrowheads where made from...and a fossile....among tons of others. I did have to leave one of my prized pieces, in California when we moved. It was a large, 3ft diameter, boulder of quartz, from my childhood home.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile
I had a childhood friend who had a rock or little babyfood jar of soil from everyplace she had ever been. It was fun to look at the different type rocks and different colors of soil. She didn't have a single one labeled..she just knew where they were from. I always thought that was a kind of neat thing to do.
Hey Elizabeth...I have saved tiny eggs from my hens over the last few years. I have a couple who lay tiny eggs like bird eggs now and then. (they are banties so smaller eggs in the first place) We dry them just like you said. I have a few in a little bird's nest that the boys found on a shelf and the rest in a small basket. I would love to send you a couple if you want them. They are lt. brown and real cute. Already dry. Email me if you are interested. I am sure I could pack them well enough since they are so small.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  5:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I forgot about my rocks! Thank you for reminding me! I have been trying to collect them from places I go, too, but keep forgetting. I do have a rounded pebble from a bay in Cape Cod, a one-inch almost-perfect square of red quartz from New Mexico, a glass doorknob from a fire on an old farm in Michigan, a Petoskey stone, a flat black round stone the size of a nickel from a Lake Michigan beach, and one from Puerto Rico. How could I have forgotten?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  06:45:41 AM  Show Profile
I have too much "stuff" as it is. So when I got married 2 yrs ago(2nd time) I deciede I needed to collect something. After much thinking I decieded on ceramic thimbles. I started on our honeymoon with on from Washington D.C. Now when DH and I travel I buy one from places we have been. Since I sew these are displayed in the sewing room. I recenctly found a printers tray and now I have a place to put them on my MIL 1918 singer electric machine.. I love it. So far only 5 thimbles. Guess we need to travel more!!! LOL

Teddie
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  6:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I just love these exchanges!!! They are so neat and give a chance to get to know eachother even better!!!!
A lot of what I collect may not be usual fair at garage sales and such (can't remember it has been sooo long ) but I love teddy bears that are made from meterial scraps or not, that look old and loved or just oldfashioned looking that could sit in an old rocking chair and "fit", I love dolls that are in good shape that would fit in with teddys rag dolls and older looking ones from like the 70s and back, I love serving pieces in white and/or greens or pinks, or pastel colors or clear, pink, or green glass. Pins that are from specific places or you can tell they are (ie the white house etc), old fashioned sewing notions (thimbles,pincushions, darning tools, buttons, etc.), unique musical instruments, old hardback books, kaleidoscopes, classical music LPs, and right now my biggest quest is to find tons of things I can use in my scrapbooking ie old magazines, lace or ribbion, buttons, old earings, old neclaces, broches, beads, material scraps, and so on. The scrapbooking has become VERY important to me because my grandmother is entrusting me with ALL the family photos which go two generations before her (and she will be 91 this year) to have for my scrapbooks!! I feel SO honored and am so very excited!!!!!

Kathy, I love your ideas and HUGZ!!! Please let us know when you are going to post a final list so I can print it up and be on the hunt!!! **am so excited!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  07:37:34 AM  Show Profile
I collect seeral things. I like the tins, like Quaker oats, crackers, cracker jack. Sheep, especialy primitive. Raggedy annies amd primitive dolls, and little chairs to put them in. I have a small collection of really old KY postcards. Enamelware, baskets, treenware. I also love when I order a prim or country home decor piece, and they come tied in a package with little srtips of homespun. I use those little strips of homespun and just tie them to various items sitting around or hanging on my walls. I would love to be in on this, and have a list.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  11:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I was thinking myself that it would be interesting to know what others collect, so I did a search and came up with this!
Like Teddie, I collect thimbles, any kind, I have some ceramic, pewter, silver. I also collect teapots and anything chicken themed. But my favourite collection is my snowmen - anything snowman; so far, mainly ornament type snowmen, but I also have a snowman head shaped mug and some candles. I would really love some snowmen tea towels, none here in Australia. The snowmen I collect are more rustic looking than really glittery.
Best wishes and keep dreaming,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  11:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kathy,
I know you have been very busy, but just wanted to know if you did create a list of our collections or a place for us to post them like you were hoping to...let us know when you get a chance!

Have been thinking of you and am hoping all is well!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic What do you Collect - Exchange Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page