Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 The scoop from the Dirt Lovin' Dames coop, vol. 1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic The scoop from the Dirt Lovin' Dames coop, vol. 1 Next Topic  

missjlee9
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Jen
Ferndale MI
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  10:39:16 AM  Show Profile

Hey, chickadees! Last night's first farmgirl meeting was an absolute triumph! I know not everyone was able to attend, but please don't fret - there's plenty more meetings where this came from. Meetings PLUS. And that PLUS, which is what we discussed last night, sure is something to be excited about (in addition to solidifying a name: Dirt Lovin' Dames it is!! Thanks, Danyelle!!).

First, I introduced the gals to the sisterhood - MaryJane's official sisterhood. It's not required by any means, but I'm personally quite inspired by this and am sort of using these brilliant ideas as the backbone for OUR sisterhood because they are so encouraging. It provides opportunities to earn merit badges by doing various good deeds, learning new things, and sharing with our community. You need to pay dues to be a member of the sisterhood ($20 per year), and I highly recommend simply checking it out. It just sounds lovely and the badges are adorable!

We silly (and adorable, I don't mind sayin') lil' hens also discussed some of the things we would all like to do, what our talents are, and who we may know to guide and teach us along the way. Here is a list of some of the things we came up with: candle making (the old fashioned, dipped candles), composting (Jeremy's uncle will teach us!), harvesting and drying our own herbs (Carol!), volunteering on community farms (Sarah's sister lives on a farm!) and at horse/animal rescues, sewing and mending, canning our own fruits and vegetables (Jeremy's auntie is good at this!), donating, recycling, upcycling and sooo much more (ideas were bouncing around like frisky little pixies... it was hard to catch them all!). We are also going to start a sisterhood journal, which we will pass along to our sisters at our roundups, filling the pages with our ideas, recipes, and flair, and Rebecca is interested in starting us a blog and a facebook fanpage. All while wearing our favourite aprons!

Getting excited??

Our powwows will take place every two weeks (give or take), each with a different theme or objective and at a different farmgirl's home. Our next will take place at Dayna's house, who has always wanted to learn how to grow herbs and vegetables and finally finds herself with a perfect little patch of land for just that. There'll be a proper invitation to follow, but here's the gist of our upcoming "Garden Party": everyone wears their biggest, bestest gardening hat and apron, brings a dish to share with our fellow farmgals, a vegetable plant/ seedling to plant in Dayna's yard, and some lovin' instructions to get those babies flourishing.

There are a few out of state gals interested in sharing and learning with us, too. Let the farmgirl apron/letter/jam swaps begin! Let me know, in OR out of state darlin's, if you're interested in this.

Who knows what the following glorious weeks will bring!

Joyride on the learning curve!
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic The scoop from the Dirt Lovin' Dames coop, vol. 1 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page