Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Trying to Find a New Career
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Trying to Find a New Career Next Topic  

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  9:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
I'm interested in starting an at home kind of job. I'm 22 and I have done a few jobs in my life but I'm really wanting my own business and I'm trying to figure out how to go about it and what to do. Something that people will buy and invest in. I have thought about a bakery but out of my home how do I advertise since I'm in the country... ? Please some thoughts and insight will be appreciated!

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  9:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Patricia! I can't help much but I will be praying that you find something that you like. :)(
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  9:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
aww thanks and I have a lil' card for you that I need to mail out to you... :)

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  9:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
YAY! Can't wait to get it.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile
I don't know about the laws there, but Indiana left a nice loophole for the farmers market and roadside stands. If you do your business(the actual money takin and product handin over) within 10 feet of the road and more that 5 feet outside your front door, you are a home-based vendor and not subject to business laws like others are. I know of people who are doin cakes for parties this way and have a picnic table with a canopy over it for an 'office'. It means you can name and advertise your stand as a roadside business without the board of health sittin in your kitchen. The only major thing is the labeling, which sounds confusing when you read the requirements, but are very easy to follow. I had to call my local board of health for them to walk me through all of it, but then I was off. I sell jams, jellies, cookies, breads, muffins, and fudge at my roadside stand with my veges. I also do local farmers markets with the same items, our market master is very good about homemade items being welcome! Just some thoughts!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  09:51:13 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am getting ready to start house cleaning. Good luck to you in your business.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  10:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Patricia,

Do something that you love :) . Whether that be crafting, cooking, gardening, writing, stitching ... find the thing that you enjoy and do that. You can always set up an etsy shop or sell online even from the country.
Blessings,
Catherine
Farmgirl #1801

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
I love stitching and knitting and writing the only thing is I am unsure of how to do a website...I have a blog and have signed up for etsy. but all in all I have no idea.

<3 Patricia (soon-to-be-EMT)

Prov. 31...

Go to Top of Page

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  1:18:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Patricia,

My advice to you is find a niche. You know the organic and whole food market is exploding, that's a popular niche. Maybe you have a particular style of baking that would appeal to a certain market. For example, if you bake healthy animal crackers you can market them to day cares. Since you would be operating out of your home, baking an item that would ship easily is a good idea. That way, the sky is the limit when it comes to who is able to purchase your product and you don't have to worry if the locals are enough to support your business.

As far as advertising goes, advertising online is a great place to start. I'm looking into online advertising myself for a few things. At start-up, take advantage of what's free. Craig's List, Myspace, Facebook... the list goes on. Then you can get into starting an independent website for your business and begin purchasing search credits from places like Google and Yahoo.

Pick something you are passionate about, and run with it. Kudos for your ambitions of starting your own business. I'm in the same boat and I know how insane it can be.

Lots of Luck!

--Brandy from Florida
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  1:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on what Catherine & Brandy have said already-it's gotta be something you really love. I still make hand knit items to sell,but I'd have to clone myself to have enough & sell enough to make a living-but I do offer items as a sideline. Sewing goes faster than knitting & holiday decor is always hot. Think hard,search your heart,and get a copy of "The Handmade Marketplace" by Kari Ann Chapin. A wonderful guide that goes into all aspects of havin your own biz with an easy going writing style. And let us know what you decide!

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.gigulele-bag.com

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Trying to Find a New Career Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page