knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  08:54:25 AM  Show Profile
Is dried plantain as effective as fresh? I want to dry some for the winter, so I can make my ACV and plantain face astringent in the winter.

Also, what else do you all use it for? I'm very excited about using herbs that are readily available in my back yard, but am having a hard time finding a book that helps identify them and tells their uses.

Can you recommend a good book or a website that might be helpful?

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

mayamade
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

maya
minneapolis minnesota
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  09:12:46 AM  Show Profile
a website that is very helpful is herbmentor.com
there are several books that are helpful, i might start with a book on recognizing plants like field guide for the area you live in. plantain has several names, englishmans foot, plantain, etc. and that can lead to confusion.
this is the plantain i know of, crush and use on injuries, dry and use in salves, http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://exploringhealth.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/plantagomajor4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://exploringhealth.wordpress.com/&usg=__bkplvOyncgMINQzvJv0XY3MQSz8=&h=425&w=640&sz=87&hl=en&start=5&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=tOFW1b7LRcIYPM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dplantain%2Benglishman%2Bfoot%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  09:16:59 AM  Show Profile
I'll check it out the site. That looks like the same thing I am calling plantain.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, in the last 2 issues of MJF is an ad from the Bulk Herb store. They are not very far from you in Tn. You should check the web site.It's www.bulkherbstore.com. Shoshana is an herbalist and has lots of great videos and books and sells herbs too. She also tells how to make tinctures and all kinds of different things.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  6:39:31 PM  Show Profile
I use it dried or fresh. I usually go out and pick it before hubby runs over it with the mower.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  7:25:11 PM  Show Profile
I have used it dried. I make my own salve for my hands, feet,lips, and as a makeup remover. I make a salve using olive oil,jojoba oil, and beeswax. I take the dried plaintain and infuse it in the olive oil for 24 hrs on low in a crockpot to infuse its properties into the oil and then strain it out. Its suppose to be super good for healing.I also add celudula this way too. Then add other essential oils too. Supposively native americans used plantain for these purposes. All I know is its super good stuff. Some people use it in the spring when its fresh and young in salads.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  10:20:29 PM  Show Profile
I've made a salve using plantain for years but I've only used fresh. And yes, it's wonderful stuff. But I infuse the plaintain and some comfrey in olive oil for 4-6 weeks, shaking it occasionally! I probably make bigger batches cuz if takes so long! It works so well, I warn people not to use it on any deep or puncture type wound that needs to heal from the inside. It's also great for burns.

Will try to track down where I got my original info, Ashley.

Blessed be,
soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  05:02:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies!

Soleil, I'd love to know where you got the information. An herbalist website was posted and it looks like it would be most useful, but they charge $10 a month to be a member and that is a little out of my price range. The best site I've found is bulkherbstore.com as Kris suggested. They have lots of good information, but do not give methods to use herbs.

Have a good day. It is raining here in TN, I love the rain:)

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  6:34:46 PM  Show Profile
If you have a library thats not to far from you they usually have great books on herbs. I found alot of info in them many years ago. Its great because you can see the books and look at them first to see if they would be something you would purchase for yourself. Just a thought.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  06:28:23 AM  Show Profile
That is a great idea....Thank you!

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2010 :  8:11:20 PM  Show Profile
I have pictures and information about plantain on my facebook page. You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to it as there have been quite a few posts since then - go down to about July 19. Worth checking out!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

----------------------------------------------------------

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

ramonaj
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

rhonda
gibsons british columbia
Canada
118 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  6:09:26 PM  Show Profile
I have tons of plaintain in my garden and have only ever used it fresh, but think you can dry it to use for teas. it's incredible stuff, good for many uses. one of the best places to find herbal info is Susun Weed's website. www.susunweed.com

happiness to all sentient beings
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Plantain question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page