Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 How soon/long did it take you to get married?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic How soon/long did it take you to get married? Next Topic
Page: of 2

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  12:57:26 PM  Show Profile
I have had my own rescue farm and run it for about 9 years now. I bought it shortly after I divorced when I was only 22. I have dated a few people here and there 1 or 2 were OOOKKK. They have all had kids or some other kind of baggage. Don't get me wrong I love kids and I DO want some, but I always thought it would be nice for it to be both of our 1sts. Being 31 now.... it was looking kinda grim.
I know there is not such a thing as "perfect" in-laws but I at least need them to be "sane". I have recently met a GREAT guy with a NORMAL family. He is just like me (no kids or extra baggage). His parents have been married FOREVER. I think his mom loves me more than my mom. His family comes to hug ME first when we get together. :) We both know that there is something different here than there ever has been before even when we were with our spouses.
We have not been apart for 1 day since we met. He has helped me out on the farm without me even asking. He is so eager to learn. He even admitted he was a little intimidated at first but he tries to do it all if he needs help he just asks. We had to go to his cousins wedding on Friday and now that is all he is talking about. Weddings and babies, weddings and babies.
I told my older best friend 2 days after meeting him that I WAS going to marry this one and she just laughed. This week my younger best friend called and asked if I was OK she hadn’t heard from me in a couple of days. I told her I had been with the new guy I told her about…. She started hollering “I knew it I knew it!! He’s the one!” then she went on to tell me about her best friend she had when she met her husband and how she knew he was the one.
He keeps asking how soon is too soon. I have NOOO idea. I know not tomorrow. His dads dad met his grandmother when he was home on leave for 3 days married her took her back with him and they were together ever since.
I am happy but kind of scared at the same time. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi, my husband Dexter and I met on Dec. 10th, blind date. 3 months later we were engaged, and married 2 days short of knowing each other 6 months. after our first date, he went home and told his Mom he was going to marry me. we have been married 36yrs. I would say, follow your heart, only the two of you know when the time is right. good luck, oh, and your rescue sounds great, what kind of animals do you rescue? blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  1:40:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Phyllis! I have 4 horses, 5 dogs, and 4 cats for right now. I think these are all keepers. My problem is I take them to find them good homes and no one ever seems as good as where they are right now. Tee hee hee. I call my farm Second Chance Ranch.

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  2:10:15 PM  Show Profile
I met my late hubby when I was barely 16 on the side of the road, me with a flat tire on the feed truck and him on his Harley sight seeing while on a 2 day leave. I think we both knew it was love at first sight, we were married with-in a few months, and he passed 3 yrs ago next month, and we would have been still in love for 37 yrs this year.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  2:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Hubby and I met in February, engaged in April, and married the next January. This coming January will be 3 children and 8 years. :)
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  3:12:00 PM  Show Profile
I knew right away when I saw my husband. And he did too. I was visiting with a friend in Chattanooga and met him. I was here a few days and spent the whole time with him. Then had to leave. He gave me his number and said to call. He had just bought a house and was ready to settle down. So I waited a few weeks then called. I came back up here with everything I owned in my little car and have been here ever since. 32 years. We met in June and were married in Oct. 1978. That's fast. I had just turned 20 and he was 30.

I wish you love and happiness together. Sometimes ya just know and that's enough.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 11 2010 3:12:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Met my hubby aug 17, 1967....married him 10 days later on aug 17, 1967/ been together ever since.lotta years, some good some horrid, but all very worth while
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  7:44:12 PM  Show Profile
Met my hubby in December, Started living together in August married in May of the next year. We have 3 daughters lost 4 babies and have been together 34 years all together.
There are no guarantees, you just have to have faith and I personally don't believe in wasting time if you know what you want. As far as in-laws. Mine are all certifiable, I haven't spoken to any of them in over 10 years and don't care to. So it is possible to have a great marriage with totally looney in-laws.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  03:33:28 AM  Show Profile
I met my first "husband" shall we say and a mere 3-4 months later we eloped to Vegas and I divorced him a year and a half later. I was basically lied to and abused. Was 27 then

With second husband, we dated for a year and have been very happily married for year #10 this October. Was 30

For something like this I'd say a year or more. It takes a lifetime to really get to know someone and is best not rushed.

I also recommend premarriage counseling

And like the others, I just "had as feeling".

That's awesome about the in-laws too! Hope it works out
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  04:47:50 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I had our first date on December 9th. I then left until mid January (We were at the same college in Arkansas and I went home for Christmas break in Vermont)although we did talk on the phone 2 or 3 times during that month apart. He picked me up from the airport when I returned to Arkansas and then we spent practically EVERY moment possible together. We got engaged 5 WEEKS later in mid-February! We got married in July - just 8 months after our first day. We will celebrate our 10th anniversary in about 2 weeks!

My husband told me that the night he called me to ask me out on our first day (we had just met earlier that day and he spent half the evening hunting down my phone number) that he told his mother that I would be the girl he would marry!

I was scared too! I had been engaged for three years earlier in my life and FORTUNATLY found out BEFORE we got married what a dirtbag that guy was. I had "played it safe" with him and it didnt work out. With Richie, I threw caution to the wind and it was the best decision I ever made!

Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  05:24:22 AM  Show Profile
There is no perfect time, just follow your heart! I met my DH in June and was married one year later in June! We just had our 10th anniversary last month. My first Husband and I were together for 3 years before being married. We were young and he turned into an alcoholic. After 8 years and two children, I left and was single for over 11 years before meeting my current DH.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  06:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Met my husband in November, started planning a May wedding in January. We have been married 28 yrs. and have
3 of the best blessings (aka kids) in the world.
And it only took us about twenty minutes to get married. It was all the planning that took so long.

farmgirl sister#43
"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 12 2010 06:16:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  07:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Met my husband on a Sunday afternoon at a friends house, he asked me to marry him the following Saturday, and we were married 6 months later. It has been 31 years now. When you know it's the right person you just know.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  08:09:52 AM  Show Profile
What does your heart say? I know that sounds like a silly, romantic thing to say, but having had the experience of a "planned engagement, do all the right things and get married" marriage, that failed and then a "fly by the seat of your pants and do whatever feels right" marriage, I'd choose the latter.

My first husband: we met, dated for 2 years, got engaged when I said I wasn't going to "live" with someone, then divorced after 4 years of marriage. Crazy inlaws and his inability to stay sober also helped with the marriage's demise...

My now husband: we met July 10th, he moved in August 25th and we married a year later, on August 4th. We had our first child a year ago, February, after 9 years of marriage--as much as I even thought, "what? Are you nuts?" I wouldn't change a thing--when you know, you know :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  08:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Met my hubbie when I was fifteen at a disco dance. (dating myself) He had the coolest Chevy truck in town. I tell him all time that the truck is what snagged me. He was 20, so my parents would not let us date until I was 16. We dated for 2 1/2 years until I graduated high school. We got married 2 days after graduation and have been married for 29 years.

Remember that no one guy is going to perfect for you. If you love him enough that you can put up with him when he is being his worst jerk (because he will be a jerk) then there may be a chance. There won't be a chance if you don't try, though, right?

Hope everything works out well for you.

Thanks!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile
I met my Hubby in 8th grade. We were best friends, but I didn't see him as a husband type till I was married to the worlds biggest loser. I was divorced, engaged, and married in about 3 months time. My Hubby was there by my side through the horrible marriage, payed for my divorce, and let me have my silly side by agreeing to marry on halloween! We've been married almost 13 years now. My parents met at work and knew each other for 9 weeks on their wedding day. They've been married for 35 years now. Long or short doesn't matter, if it's right it's right. Follow your heart. If you believe, pray about it. God will lead you.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  08:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi Danielle, I agree with Diane...just follow your heart. You will know when it's right. The best of luck to both of you!

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  10:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I had just moved to Kansas and was tired of the bar scene so I joined a club that had a dating service. It had some safety policies and I was careful about where I met them. ; My husband was the second guy I met but not the last. I guess I was drawn to him, though. We met in June and he asked me to marry him in October after seeing Fiddler on the Roof. We married the next April and we've been married for 27 years and have 3 daughters. There is no standard time; there is a lot more to it but it is hard to explain. From your description, he sounds like a keeper but only you can decide that.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  11:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I thought I had a winner and fell in love with someone who was divorced and had 2 boys. We lived together while I was in nursing school. I graduated from nursing school 1 week and got married the next week. While I was in school he got custody of the kids and I was raising them. Poor me! I was the one solely responsible for them. Their mommy and daddy did their own thing and I was it. I should have left but in that day and age it wasn't the thing to do. I got married and I shouldn't have. My husband was abusive then and he still is. I feel like such a fool for wasting my life. The good thing is my 2 children. He tells me on a frequent basis that I never did a thing for him in his life. If he doesn't get his way he throws a temper tantrum and all the verbal and mental abuse starts again. It's been 43 years of hell to someone who promised me the world until he got me. I applaud all of you who were able to get divorced and move on. I wasn't strong enough to do it because I knew he would never let me alone. However, he is in for a big shock. I already applied for my nursing license in another state and I'm going to be gone for 3 months to decide on the rest of my life. My sister lives in that state. There just might be someone that could love me. I'm not looking but if it happens I'll move on. If you know than do what's in your heart.

Blessings,
Darlene
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  5:51:00 PM  Show Profile
I was much too practical to ever believe in 'love-at-first-sight' until the night I met my husband. I was out with my sister and he was with a friend. He thought I was 28 and I thought he was about 28 and boy, were we both wrong! But, by then it was too late. I was 34 and he was 22! I spent way too much time adding and subtracting those numbers and our ages never did get any closer together. He finally told me it didn't matter. We dated for 2 years and we've been married for 22 years and we have one gorgeous son who just turned 21. It hasn't all been easy but most of it has been an incredible adventure. And 'they' said it would never work. Ha!

My oldest daughter, who will be 35 next week, married the first guy she ever dated in high school...fifteen years later. They had each gone to college, moved far away, had really good jobs and had a history of some very bad relationships, but neither one had any kids or had ever been married. They were reintroduced by mutual friends and were married a year later.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  02:56:45 AM  Show Profile
My husband is 4 years older than I and he was my councelor at our church camp. I was 19 when I was married. We celebrated 48 married years this year. Love will find a way. Sounds like your guy is Mr. right. Grab him quick. There aren't many like him out there. God bless. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  7:50:42 PM  Show Profile
I met my husband at high school. He asked me to marry him after graduation, I thought he was nuts! He asked four times in 6 years but I wanted to make sure he knew where he was truly headed in the big things in life. We were married his graduating year of University. I had finished University a year earlier. WE bought a farm and raised a family and have been married 27 wonderful years.

Marlyn

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  8:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
This has been so much fun reading all your stories! What can I say, I'm a romantic at heart.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  8:45:05 PM  Show Profile
It is fun to read the stories!

I was engaged to a guy for a long time but he was a jerk (and I finally got around to admitting it) so I called off the wedding about three months before it was supposed to happen. I met my sweet husband about a month after that. We met in June of 99, engaged in Feb of 00 and married in October of 00. Will celebrate 10 years this fall. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Love all the stories.

My hubby and I met in fall of 1995. His Mom was dying at the time. We talked on the phone a few time. We went out in Jan of 1996. We have been together ever since. He actually asked me to marry him a few weeks after we went out. We lived together for a few months. We got engaged in Aug of 1996 and we married Aug of 1997.

We are best friends. We have had good and bad times. But we always have each other.

The only thing I can say is do what you think is right. Don't worry about what people will say. My parents can't stand my hubby. We will be married 13 years in Aug.

I will pray for you. Lots of love.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  5:42:58 PM  Show Profile
well love story here too. papa and i met at a christian meeting and were married 3 months later. i was a hippie girl he was a dairy boy. green and scared and in love and excited. it has never been dull. we are together now for 36 years and still going strong. i know my God Jah gave him to me. so you go girl as the others have said follow your heart. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic How soon/long did it take you to get married? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page