quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  1:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I've missed a lot of this thread- glad to see all of you ladies here and sharing thoughts and opinions! :)
I personally feel as though covering is a matter of personal coviction and makes no woman more or less holy to wear or not wear one. There is no sin in not covering. If I could address the "cultural" issue though regarding the church of Corinth, in my research I have found no other book (regardless of the traslation) where Paul specifically addresses the book not only to, "the church in Corinth, [but] to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ..." While the church in Corinth was having it's problems, it seems to me that he (Paul) is addressing all Christians then in this book.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  1:50:13 PM  Show Profile
I am happily surprised to see this thread. I have had a spiritual interest in headcoverings lately. It is a totally new concept to me. I know Amish and Mennonite women wear head coverings. Catholic women used to wear head coverings to Mass. I am Catholic and it is nothing that other women around here do. I have been thinking a lot about Mary and looking to her as a role model. For now I have been keeping my hair simply twisted up. I am going to spend tonight looking at links in this thread. I wonder if there is a wide spread new interest in headcoverings - it seems to be popping up everywhere.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  08:23:47 AM  Show Profile
I wear a farmgirl hat when I'm outside in the sun for any length of time as I always have burned easily,and I wear either a beret or one of my hand knit hats or flannel headbands in the winter because my ears get chilled easily. That's pretty much it except for the Santa hat I wear a lot when I'm out & about from Dec 1-25.

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.mandolinbabe.biz (Etsy Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Just found this....in reference to headcovering for Biblical reasons, In Created To Be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl, she addresses this issue very well, I think. (They live very near an amish community, so she is very familiar with the practice...) She makes note that the Word says a woman's hair has been given to her for a covering, so an additonal covering would really only be needed if a woman's hair was very short, as a means of respect while praying, (which a christian would hope to be in an attitude of prayer all thru the day...). She also suggests that it is really a matter of preference for your husband & yourself. Some husbands wish yes, others don't care. Mine is terribly fond of long hair, & doesn't believe a covering is necessary...but he sure does love it when I wear a cowboy or straw gardening hat! Prayer over your choice would be my utmost suggestion! We are trying to discern skirts/ dresses only, or britches also (if they are modest & feminine, which is hard to do sometimes...) I am continually convicted about raisin' my girls to be aware of their feminine nature & embracing it..I'll just keep on prayin' too!

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

" Stand still & let God move." ~The Isaacs
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:38:23 PM  Show Profile
I have an adorable widebrim farmgirl hat, it looks great hanging on my wall.

I love to wear my bonnets during Civil War events, but most of the time I skip the hat. I get hat envy easily and wish I had the courage to wear one more.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:15:30 PM  Show Profile
In my religion women do wear head coverings, but not all the time, only for prayer, and teaching before men-not before other women or children though.

Corrine I am very very sorry your husband abused you so. As was stated that certainly was not God's purpose in the least. God makes it very plain what he thinks of men who abuse their wives-1 Peter 3:7-YOU husbands, continue dwelling in like manner with them according to knowledge, assigning them honor as to a weaker vessel, the feminine one, since YOU are also heirs with them of the undeserved favor of life, in order for YOUR prayers not to be hindered.

It's very plain that God is telling husbands that he wants them to treat their wives with kindness, and gentleness, and honor here, otherwise he will not be listening to their prayers. That's pretty powerful!

That being said, I would really really love some beautiful yet dignified head covering for myself. Currently I usually use a shawl, or scarf. I would love to see pictures of what you personally have made or came up with.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  10:34:20 AM  Show Profile
I make lots of cotton hats and bonnets--lightweight and washable. Many people still wear bonnets. Our ancestors had the right idea!

Re: wearing head coverings for religious reasons...I find it interesting and somewhat confusing that some people cover their head for religious reasons, and then I see some men remove their hats when singing gospel songs here.

www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  5:27:21 PM  Show Profile
I am all for headcoverings, religious or not, and because I am fair skinned I do try and wear a baseball cap or my wide brim hat when I'm in the sun. But I have to say, after watching the royal wedding in England today, I am glad we in America don't go to that extreme!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  2:28:37 PM  Show Profile
As a child growing up one of the things I remember is the woman's hats that they wore when they were out...remember jackie O? & the men wore hats or caps as well....I always loved it as a child to see a man take off his hat or tip it when a woman came by......I have never been much of a hat wearer but as I age I notice the age spots coming to my face so I try to protect myself when I remember & yes I am very fair skinned....i just made this year a prairie style bonnet with antique lace that I will start wearing for the gardening ect......I saw the comment about when woman wore covering for Catholic Mass....I now that some churches did away with that practice to draw more young people in way back in the 1970's after the Hippy movement fell to the way side but the younger generation was not coming to church because of dress codes ect...so many churches...mine included back then quit alot of the older practices & let college students ect come to services even in shorts....it was more important to have them there than to judge what they were wearing.....I think as religious reasons its all about respect....we were raised this way as a sign of respect to God & his book & the church....but society has changed so to go with the change certain traditions/respect have been dropped to encourage more to come......But oh do I remember Church day with all the pretty hats & woman in pretty 'Church goin' dresses & men in their suits & ties...When i lived in Georgia I still got to witness this with the Southern Baptist & it always made me smile......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  8:42:48 PM  Show Profile
I wear a prairie bonnet, I originally purchased it because I like them. However I sometimes wear it outside while doing yardwork/gardening due to the heat. This is mostly due to a thyroid issue I have, and trying to keep cool in the heat. Otherwise I will get dizzy, feel faint, and have a rapid heartbeat, etc. Last summer it was so hot here I was mostly unable to go outdoors without getting sick.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  9:51:35 PM  Show Profile
That's one thing I love about the bonnets Valerie. All other hats always made me too hot and feel weird in them, the bonnets never do. I love them. I may look weird out there but they are my favorite "sun" hat.

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile
ok this may not be very nice of me but all I can say is " you have got to be kidding,right" OMG Women have come so very far from being second class citizens that I have no intentions of ever going backwards!!! In the bible under one of those above mentioned websites it even says that women's hair is her covering. That sounds like to me that we already have a built in covering. and for pete's sake I sure do not want women who have had chemo to feel they are any less because they don't have hair. I think my God doesn't care how I come to him just so long as I come. I feel very strongly that he looks at how I act and feel toward him on the inside a lot more than how I look on the outside.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  8:42:48 PM  Show Profile
hmm, I don't feel like wearing a head covering to show respect towards God is putting myself as a second class citizen at all. I just feel it's my way of showing respect to his authority as my creator and God.

Every one though has freewill and a choice of what God they choose to worship. If you choose to worship a different God then others that is your choice. I don't think though that we need to disrespect over women who choose differently. Just as I have no disrespect towards women who feel they do not need to wear a head covering.

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  10:48:54 AM  Show Profile
I don't see it as worshiping a different God because I don't see things the same way as others. I believe Jesus Christ Died for my sins and he is my heavenly father. I meant no disrespect to women who want to wear a headcovering. They certainly can if they want but people in this day and age will look and feel differently toward them and they are bringing attention to themselves this way and not to God. My "actions" speak as to who is my heavenly father not my clothes...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  8:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Just to lighten this up a bit and I know its nothing "religious" but between the royal wedding and the Kentucky Derby have you ever seen so many wild hats? I thought it was kinda fun. It takes confidence to don some of those things. Seriously though the bible speaks of one feeling its wrong to eat meat etc.and another having no problem with it. but to do what you are convicted of as to the Lord. If it feels ok to you not to wear the headcovering ok just not judge the one who does. So there is no divisions in the body of Christ. Cant think where that is off the top of my head ,no pun intended.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  3:53:52 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree with you lea, I did not mean to be judgemental , if I came across that way, I am sorry...

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  7:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Heather I just noticed the countdown on your post! Congrats! How is the pregnacy going?
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  09:21:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lea. I think I just added it not long ago! ;o) No problem Beverly.

Go to Top of Page

Yesterdayfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Laura at
Columbia Ky
USA
82 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  8:17:39 PM  Show Profile
I wear Headcoverings also!!! I wear them because of 1 Corinthains 11; i began wearing them when I received Jesus in my life. All the women in my family wears the covering. I am privileged to wear the covering , and I am treated with great respected where I go. I hope you find a blessing threw your obedience to the Lord Jesus.

God Bless!

Come and see what is happening at Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm! http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Headcoverings Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page