quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  6:52:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm wondering how many of my fellow farmgirls wear headcoverings?
If you do, would you please explain why? and if you can, please explain in depth.
This is something I've been thinking and praying about. I'm curious to hear from you!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  10:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
e-mailed you Heather!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Heather! I just sent you a e-mail about your question. Would love to hear from you soon!
Melissa
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  6:58:48 PM  Show Profile
I get sunstroke and heat exhaustion very easily, so I always wear a hat when it is sunny outside. I wear a baseball hat for weeding and a broad brimmed hat for walking.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  12:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I always wear a hat in the summer when I am outside. I could also get used to wearing a kerchief over my hair or a silk scarf when inside. I have very short hair. I have hats for various occasions. I burn easily and the hats are a huge help. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  1:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi, there! I ALWAYS wear headcoverings. A couple of years ago, after childbirth, I developed alopecia. Talk about adjusting to something! Having no hair (although it's growing back - sort of - I look a little like I have one of those traditional "monk-y" hairdos - a tonsure, I believe it's called) is lame, but it's not tragic.

So - back to the headcovering thing. For me, it's a cosmetic thing, although people I know cover their heads for all sorts of reasons. I love scarves tied in sort of a "turban" way, and for everyday, I usually wear a bandana inside and plop a hat on top of it for outside. What sorts of headcoverings are you (Heather) looking/wondering about?

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  2:16:16 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of headcoverings. From Little House to Amish/Mennonite.

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:17:44 PM  Show Profile
I think that headcoverings -- no matter the style can be beautiful and enhance the beauty of the woman who wears them. I think too that they often bring out the beauty within. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:25:09 PM  Show Profile
Chemotherapy has robbed me of all my hair. I have about an eighth of an inch of sparkly white hair, very thin. I have to wear a cap because of photosensitivity. Otherwise, now I think I will probably still wear a cap.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jul 18 2010 1:25:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  2:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Although I do cover myself--not yet I think you are asking about religious reasons. There are some very good websites explaining the way of this. Here are a few. http://www.theopenscroll.com/headcovering.htm and http://www.candleonthehill.net/store/pages/headcoveringtips.php . I would have started to cover but it is something my husband and I are still studying and praying on.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  5:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Jeanna,
Yes, I was more referring to covering because of a conviction to do so. I think that I am in the same boat as you! :) Actually, it's interesting, the more people I have talked with about this the more I find women who are in the same situation as I am, who knew so many women were feeling convicted about it?! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  3:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Prayer, and go with what you feel the Lord is leading you to do. There are some great websites as was said here that discuss this.

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:26:08 PM  Show Profile
My head is most often covered when I am outside - though with some sort of hat or bonnett. When I was in the Army we ALWAYS had a headcovering when outside [men and women]. I come from a line of Quakers. I connect with headcovering for men and women.
I am reminded these days to cover because the son is hot or the rain is cold. I have hats for summer and winter, work and play. I have a great 3X beaver cowboy hat for dressup.
I uncover when inside a building or before the flag during ceremonies.
For me it is personal and not well understood in current society.
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2010 :  2:55:07 PM  Show Profile
About wearing a headcovering for religious reasons - I read some of the links above. Interesting points... I'm pretty low on the frou-frou scale, personally. (I really liked the 'Raggedy Anne in a Barbie Doll World' thread!) But even still, I'm a woman. I have noticed at church other women's hair, even to the point of wondering at times "how in the world does she get her hair to do that?!" when obviously, that's NOT the reason we go to church! Hair really is glorious! Well, maybe not mine so much, but other people manage it :). I guess my point just being that hair is an attention-getter, no matter if you are a man or a woman. And maybe the reason that God put those parts in the New Testament about women having their heads covered during prayer and/or prophesying is that others should be able to focus on God - not someone's hairstyle!

That issue aside, my 3-year-old daughter and I are both very fair-skinned and sunburn easily, and I've started us both wearing one of a modest collection of fun hats when we're outside. You can find them at yard sales and Goodwill even - garden-style straw hats with neat ribbons, the crushed cowboy hats (which kill me - do you know how many worn-out straw cowboy hats I've thrown away over the years because they were so whupped looking, and now that's how people BUY them?!), stuff like that. They're fun to wear and sure save heat off your face/scalp and sunburned noses!! It's pretty easy to fix them with a "stampede string" of braided horsehair, or thin ribbon, or crocheted string, etc.

~TJ of Green Willow House
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Carla since you were in the military maybe you can answer a question for me. My daughter and I were at a rodeo and she asked me about removing our hats. I know men do but I thought women could leave theirs on during prayer and the anthem? Was I wrong?
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  3:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Smiley,
Hat etiquette is if a woman is wearing a man's style hat,i.e. a fedora, or a baseball cap she removes it for the national anthem or if the flag is carried by. If she is wearing a woman's style hat she leaves it on. I think a riding helmet or bike helmet would qualify as being in the 'to be doffed' category and I have no idea about a cowboy hat unless, if it is trimmed in a feminine style or has a tiara on it, it is then considered a woman's hat and left on. Hope this helps.
Linda

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

LindaAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  4:46:47 PM  Show Profile
I got interested in the convict bonnet project http://www.christinahenri.com.au/ a couple years ago because so many of the women shipped off to Australia as convicts and undesirables were actually simply homeless through poverty or the death or abandonment of their husbands. There also seemed to be a disproportionally large number of Scots women consigned to the convict boats. I have suspicions that it was an expedient way to get crofters with hereditary rental rights off the land. I am of Scots descent so it's not improbable that I have a distant relative on the lists, so many of the women had the same name as my great-grandmother. I made a bonnet for myself in honor of whoever that may have been but also as a way to honor all those women. It felt like such a powerful link to the women in my past, not just the Scots women, my grandmother on my father's side was German Mennonite and always wore a soft kapp. It felt very medieval but in a good way, a sort of archetypal self-sufficient "I am no ordinary housewife but mistress of my own domain" way
I sewed myself a few more more in the style of my grandmother's cap with ties and wore them for a while but my mid 20's daughter freaked out about being seen in public with me and I kept having total strangers accost me in the supermarket with their finds of Amish butter or in the fabric store demanding to know if I had any quilts for sale. So alas I gave up wearing them because although I wear long dresses or jumpers, but they are modern denim or corduroy styles and to my eye very obviously 'not plain', I guess I was sending out identity signals that I didn't have the energy to be constantly refuting. I wish the custom of wearing the cap was widespread enough that it didn't have quite the immediate 'Amish' connotations that it does now.
I also crocheted up a couple caps last summer in ecru cotton just as an exercise in figuring out the pattern. They turned out very nice and don't look at all Amish. I wonder if I can wear them without people thinking that I am.
Linda

"There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog."
Konrad Lorenz

Edited by - LindaAlbert on Aug 14 2010 6:38:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  11:45:24 AM  Show Profile
I think the reason behind women leaving their hats on has to do with the complicated nature of older style women's hats. You know, with the hat pins and flattened set curls and all that. Can you imagine if all the ladies in a crowd had to remove their hats when the flag came out? It would take a good 10 minutes for them all to be removed, then all the ladies would flood to the restroom when the flag was put away to try to fix their hair and return their hats to their normal place. Don't get me wrong, I think those old hats were beautiful, but not very practical. But I agree that a woman wearing a man's hat should follow the "man's rules" for hat removal. Since I don't particularly care about the state of my hair (a la Raggedy Ann) and have a hubby and brothers in the military, I will ALWAYS remove my hat as a sign of respect. I think for most women, it is a personal choice, but I don't see why the "rules" should be any different than those for a man. We don't wear hats that require pinning and loads of time to get on and off, so I say remove it. Just my opinion. :) I also appreciate the idea of head coverings in church, but I don't attend a church, so that isn't too much of an issue for me. :)

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
http://fabulousfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  6:28:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls. My DD asked me at a rodeo and I wasn't sure of the answer. Its weird that the rules would be different but since ours are ball caps or cowboy hats we will remove them and like she said "people who don't know that rule will think we are rude"
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2010 :  05:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Heather, for opening this discussion.
Thank you, Jeanna, for the links. I've read about it but I kept getting hung up when it talked about a woman's hair being a covering for her. The first link explained it well that our hair brings us glory or shows ourselves as our husband's glory. That makes sense that we should be focusing on God and His glory and pointing others to Him and not ourselves.

Farmgirl #1951
Home is a gift that should be opened every day.
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  05:44:39 AM  Show Profile
I've been talking with my husband and mom about it. My mom was saying how our grandmothers, great grandmothers and great aunts would always have their hair in a bun. I think that is how they interpreted the verse about a woman's hair being a covering for her. I think I may make some coverings to wear around home and maybe to town. I think I would wear a bun and maybe a crochet cover over it for church because I don't want a personal conviction to bring undue attention to myself. That is precisely the opposite effect of what we want.

Farmgirl #1951
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:12:56 PM  Show Profile
I think this is one of the most interesting topics we have going on the forum right now. I am really enjoying it. Even though I dont see myself wearing one I respect those whose convictions cause them to.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Christy, I too have been following this thread as I am conflicted about that bible passage too. It seems to clearly state that we are to cover our head yet so few churches follow this. I know my church says it isn't necessary but never explains why. I like your idea of wearing a covering around the house and perhaps to town. And I can see wearing some scarves or something to church but I'm like you, I wouldn't want my personal conviction to bring attention to myself.

Heather, thanks for bringing this topic up for discussion. It's nice to know there are others who are feeling led to observe this. And thank to all who have given their opinions and personal insights.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  10:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
as a woman who use to cover, i want to put in my two bits. i know that everybodies situation isn't like mine, but for me covering was not a good experience. it was a control issue of my ex-husbands and my head covering served to remind me that i was inferior and had to obey his every whim. there were times that i knew he was being cruel or wrong, but when i moved to disobey him my cover reminded me that i was not allowed to think or act for myself. when the police finaly came and hauled him off, i removed my cover as a sign of no longer being in bondage. the Bible tells us that God has no respect for persons male or female, servant or master. i am scanctified by Christ's blood and grace. i do not need to cover my head in order to be a Godly woman. i believe that covering was a cultural thing special to the Corinthans since women who served the idols in the temple wore their heads shaved. if covering my head had been necessary, Jesus himself would have commanded it.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  03:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Corinne, I'm so sorry for the terrible experience you've had. I think it's terrible that men all over the world use ideas like this to put woman down. An idea that was never God's intention. Deep down, I don't think it's really about submission. Or hiding what belongs to your husband. I feel it's about giving God the glory. But I don't think it's a deal-breaker. We each have to pray about it and follow our own convictions.

Farmgirl #1951
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  1:06:59 PM  Show Profile
I often do, not because of Religion really, but just simplicity and convenience. I have long hair, and it keeps it out of my face, and the sun off of my neck. I usually wear this style: honey-autumn-chiffon-headcovering-hair
(i've actually bought a few of theirs, they're really nice, and stay put!

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Headcoverings Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page