Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Starting a home cleaning business
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Starting a home cleaning business Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am tossing the idea around of starting a home/small business cleaning company. Does anyone do this??

Prices for service??

Also plan to offer services from my hubby like changing light bulbs, furnace filters, small repairs, put fencing back up, etc

Please help

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I worked my way through most of my college doing this. It can be a GREAT business. Just be prepared for very sore knees and wrists!

I charged $10 an hour for services plus I offered for an extra $10 a month to provide my own cleaning supplies that were homemade organic non toxic. I used their equipment (Vaccums etc) but brought my own rags. I also had a kit that had screw drivers, paint brushes, paint scraper razor blades etc in there for removing faucet handles to get hard water build up cleaned off.

I also invested in an MP3 player and a membership to Audible.com so I could listen to Audiobooks while I was cleaning. It helped me stay focused. Good luck!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:37:15 PM  Show Profile
I've thought about doing this but in my busy season of life (3 kiddos and homeschooling) it just isn't possible at this point.

But, if I ever did, I would make my service rise above every other service in the area by offering something that no one around here does - natural cleaning. All the cleaners would be natural and safe (and most handmade). It would be called "Naturally Clean". Just an idea you may want to think about.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  1:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Along with natural cleaners; I'd also offer organizing (seems like so many people ask about getting someone to come in and just organize, label and get things in order and I'd tout complete and absolute confidentiality!

Don't forget to get bonded and insured too.

It's a darned good paying job - if you're really willing to work hard.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  2:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Good luck, Amy. I wish you success. And start small. Just a few a week. It is hard work and gets old fast if you don't pace yourself. Does hubby know what he's getting into??

I need organized in a bad way. I wish someone could help me!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  07:39:59 AM  Show Profile
I started my own cleaning business in high school and bought my first car with the money! I grew up in an area with a lot of affluent people and I was able to charge between 10 and 15 dollars per hour depending on the size of the house and the ammount of things they needed done and this was in the mid 90's. I would suggest that you visit the house, do a walk-through and discuss EXACTLY what is expected BEFORE you come up with a set price. Maybe even offer a free one-hour cleaning to get started because that will help you gauge the amount of time it will take you to complete the job. I had a few people who wanted me to do way more than I possibly could in an hour and werent willing to pay for more than an hour. When you are cleaning for someone else you have to work on their time. You also need to set a minimum price. Some really simple jobs may only take 45 minutes but they need to agree to pay you for a whole hour. Also discuss what will happen if you go over your time. How much over are they willing to pay for? Also how and when will they pay you?

Also - I never supplied my own cleaning supplies. The expense is so high and if you are doing any number of houses you will run out quickly and will be making trips to the store and spending your own money on cleaning supplies. And while trying to use "natural" cleaners is great there are some people out that who WONT like that idea and will prefer you use traditional cleaning supplies anyway. It's easoer if everything you need is already there and you dont get halfway through a job to realize you left your bowl cleaner at home!

I did do two really simple things that always got a lot of positive comments. I folded the end of the toilet papers into points like in hotels and I always placed an Andes Mint on everyones pillow. It was that little extra thing in an unexpected place that reminded them you were there and worked hard.

As far as offering other services - organizing, handyman work etc. I would suggest starting simple and not getting your self involved in too much to start. Cleaning houses is time consuming and an hour long job will take you at least and hour and half when you figure in travel time etc. to the job. The hours add up quickly.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Starting a home cleaning business Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page