Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Personal UFO challenge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Personal UFO challenge Next Topic
Page: of 2

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  6:19:50 PM  Show Profile
I realized the other day that I have 6 unfinished knitting projects, some dating back as far as 2 1/2 years. Then there are the sewing projects......I have strictly informed myself that I am to start no new projects nor to buy any new yarn, fabric or patterns until I have finished some of these. In the interest of actually following through I thought I would post and see if anyone else wanted to join in a "Finish the UFO" challenge, if nothing else y'all can keep tabs on me.
So here are the knitting projects I need to complete:
Snowman
Log Cabin Felted bag
Felted slippers
Dishcloth
Cabled scarf
Cloche hat
Tomorrow I'll make a list of my sewing projects in process - my goal is to finish all these and use some for Christmas, then be able to start new stuff for Christmas too, which means I better get busy!!
Anyone else want to play?
Dagnabbit, just realized I had another knitting project in progress - add slanted stripes scarf to my list!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jul 05 2010 12:01:28 PM

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  7:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, I would love to start this! Of course, it will probably take me a LONG time to finish all my projects...
So, here goes all my projects I have to finish:
1) Snowwoman for swap
2) Scarf for swap
3) Baby blanket
4) Knitted bag
5) 1 discloth
6) An apron that I started
7) 2 other scarves
8) An envelope purse
Wow, that's a lot of stuff to finish!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:13:33 AM  Show Profile
What I have going right now are:
1- Button hole bag (knitted and felted)
2- easy lace socks (working on heel of second sock)
3- Alpaca Estonian lace scarf (about half done)
4- Simple cotton dish cloth..but I ALWAYS have at least one dishcloth going
I plan to try to wrap these projects up this week. The button hole bag (a Mason Dixon knitting project free pattern that I LOVE) is for a gift for second son's girlfriend's birthday this month. Socks are for me so they will likely be the last finished..scarf is a Christmas gift I am getting done early, dishcloth is for the gift drawer as well.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:31:03 AM  Show Profile
I will join the UFO Club too and here's hoping we inspire each other to complete these things.

1. Finish Potholder for a Swap DONE!
2. Finish 3 embroidered Redwork Dish Towels/2 DONE 1 TO GO
3. Re-make a Knit Poncho for my DIL (the finished one fits me
I am 5ft 2 and she is 6ft...grrrr) But I love how it
turned out so I am keeping it and starting over.
4. Want to keep knitting wash-cloths & making scrubbies for swaps
my goal is several per week.
5. Clean My Bathroom (the job I hate the most in my house) DONE!

I am sure I will think of more. BUT, let's check them off once we complete them or type "done" next to them. What do you think?

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 21 2010 1:46:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  06:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace, what a wonderful idea!!
I have been guilty of the same, many stages of UFO's sitting around the house. . . so about 3 months ago I started to work on them and guess what. . . I got them all done!!! I'm in shock!! LOL! So, now I am digging into the fabrics I have on hand and considering those as UFO's. My challenge is to make something with this "stash" and not purchase any new fabric until it has been depleted by at least half. . . and that is a lot!

Joanna #566
"Keeping Traditions Alive A Stitch At A Time"
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  07:37:54 AM  Show Profile
Joanna - that's so inspiring!! I have to say that that will be my next step - considering stash as UFO, I have to start with the ones that are really unfinished though. I did finish a pair of fingerless gloves/mittens last weekend camping so I was pretty proud of myself (those were started 2 1/2 years ago). I did learn that on a pattern where it gives directions such as "knit to knuckle" rather than a specific number of rows, it is wise to write down how many you knitted the first time. My mittens are definitely different sizes, not by a lot, but it is noticeable.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ScotDeerie
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

G
western NY area NY
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile
I still have an unfinished quilt -- made from my daughter's clothes as she outgrew them when young -- around her somewhere...

My daughter is 32.

Giselle, of Fibro Farmgirls Henhouse
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  11:42:09 AM  Show Profile
I have so many, I can't list them all.
I need to start somewhere...
Ok...
Finish the glider cushion set (not mine, talked into it)
Finish the liner for a felted purse (my purse Yay!)
Test embroider Sierra's name on her collar (machine embroider for my Golden Retriever)

If I get these done this week I'll be happy!
Karen

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:08:20 PM  Show Profile
No time limit!! Deadlines make me stress out and paralyzed. I'm just hoping to change my ways some....

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  12:11:45 PM  Show Profile
I have some personal ufo challenges I need to take care of but kept on postponing.
1-finish my niece pj
2-scarf for swapping
3-snowman-woman swapping

I am sure I have more...
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  3:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it funny how we are all different...lately a deadline is the only thing that make me get my butt in gear! I have several knitting projects in the works, a fleece that I have to finish prepping little alone spin, 3 quilts to finish, and numerous other things on the to-do list that I have supplies for and haven't even started. I am not going to try to list them because I think it will scare me and I won't be able to do anything ROFLOL!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  3:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so I started back on the baby blanket today. I can't wait til it's done, because it's so big!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  4:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Catherine - it is funny, the UFO list is inspiring me but a to-do list of chores makes me freak out.
So everybody for this challenge do whatever works for you - either make a list and cross stuff off, or list as you finish things.

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  03:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Amy, The topic of this forum caught my eye, but then when I saw you (my Farm Friend) came up with the idea, I had to join in! UFOs in my basket include:

sizing my dress form
stitching 2 blouses I cut out
stitching 3 aprons already cut out
covering clothespin clips with fabric
recreating a pattern from a store-bought shirt I love

I also have embroidery and knitting supplies for projects that are still in the thinking stage! Also, must we count all the patterns we buy that we haven't even removed from the envelopes? If so, I'm in big trouble! Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  06:09:11 AM  Show Profile
Someone else wrote they had too many to list and I'm in the same boat. I'll just list the top three and go from there. Cheers to those who get to cross things off their lists!!
1)Crochet covered hangers for Christmas gifts
2)Lavender and rice "heat" bags
3)Finish my son's lasagna quilt (piecing done, just have to layer it)

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  07:31:13 AM  Show Profile
This is great! Thank you so much for starting this. I am so in!

1. Finish hand quilting two lap quilts that I have hand pieced. (I also have two other, full sized quilts that I am hand piecing as well)
2. Finish knitting a prayer shawl. I have no one to give it to, but it is nice to work on. I was thinking of maybe putting it in a give away or something.
3. Finish needle felting my teddy bear.
4. Get started on crocheting a granny square afghan that is going to help me use up some of my left over yarn.
5. Maybe get started on teaching myself how to knit socks. I can knit pretty much anything else, but when it comes to socks...I am completely intimidated.
6. Try and use up some of my material, yarn, clay and other supplies that I have tons of without going out and buying more.
Now the first five are not going to be all that hard to do, but the sixth? That is going to take some self control, lol!!

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  12:31:08 PM  Show Profile
I started a new projects with these projects in proces: wall hanging for my son, table runner needs quilting, quilt for grandson, doll for my sister's birthday, and several that I can't remember. I did however finish a number of projects this spring. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Amy,

What a great idea! I have a quilt top I finished ummm,... ten years ago, maybe longer, that I need to back, quilt, etc. I also need to make the second apron for my expert apron badge. I have an embroidery project that I started as a child (blush!) and another I started for my daughter more than 7 years ago.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  6:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, that is making me remember that I have a quilt top I put together when I was pregnant 18 years ago, I'd forgotten all about it - yikes! I haven't gotten to counting up all my sewing projects yet. I do not think that unopened patterns should count - I would be in big trouble.
Dianne - have you made patterns from store-bought stuff before?
I'm making progress on stuff, nothing finished yet, but progress none-the-less
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  04:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading what all of you are busy doing. . . sounds like we are all going to be smiling a lot! ( finishing a project has that effect on us) While reading your posts it occurred to me I do have one large UFO that needs my attention. . . the mending basket!! Yup, that is one BIG UFO. . .LOL!! So, that is what's on my to do list.
Hmmm. . . my BF will be shocked to have "all" his jeans back, patched and ready to wear. LOL!

Joanna #566
"Keeping Traditions Alive A Stitch At A Time"
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  06:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Several years ago I finished a sampler that I started as a 9 year old. I display it proudly in my sewing room. It took 30 some years to finish it. The amazing thing is that I kept it through all of my moves.

I sure hope unopened patterns don't count. As they are not apt to be always available, I buy patterns when I find one that I like. I often find them on sale or at garage sales. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne - that's so cool you kept, and finished, the sampler!! I don't know what happened to my first embroidery project, my mom made it into a pillow. I will have to ask her about it.
I have finished knitting the pieces for my felted slippers, now need to block and sew them together, I probably will wait for cooler weather to do the felting, so I won't get to cross that off my list for a bit. I am close to finishing the scarf too - it's an easy one so I can knit while I watch the baseball game:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  7:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne, that's pretty cool that you were able to keep that sampler all these years and that it didn't get lost!
Today I worked on a baby blanket that has been long in the process... But it's going to take a while longer to finish, because I'm not even close to halfway done! But someday it'll be done!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh and Kris - I forgot to say I love your idea of "paying" yourself with cotton yarn!! That is a motivator for sure.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  09:09:22 AM  Show Profile
I finished a miniature Amish wall quilt & started an apron. I have toooooo many to list here but I am going to post as I finish some! I now live in an old schoolhouse & have all my projects in tubs & such! As i am going through things while packing for the possibility of flooding I am trying to pull things out to finish!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  09:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Karla,

The quilt is beautiful! I love the colors. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing the pics. One of these days I'm gonna get around to learning how to post pics on this site, lol! The quilt really is beautiful.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Personal UFO challenge Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page