Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Tip for cleaning out your clothes closet
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Tip for cleaning out your clothes closet Next Topic  

Boisesue
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Susan
Boise ID
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  6:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Hello Sisters, I thought I'd share with you how I manage to rid myself of the clothes that I "think" I'll still wear....someday.

A few years back I tied a bunch of loops out of 1/8"wide ribbon,(string works too). I took those loops and put them over the hook of every hanger with an item of clothing on it. As I wore the clothes I took the ribbon off the hanger and saved it in a little box for future use. Around the first of May I go through my closet and any fall & winter clothes that still had a ribbon on the hanger meant that I didn't wear that item so I pull it from my closet. The fall & winter clothes that where left in my closet got a ribbon put back on their hanger. Around the first of October I do the same thing for my spring & summer clothes.
Now I will tell you that the first go around I had with this idea I kind of fell back to my old ways of not wanting to let go of a couple of things, so they went back in the closet but with an added ribbon. Now those items had two ribbons. Well you know what has to happen if at the end of the season and there are two ribbons on that item, it just has to go. This little ribbon on the hanger game I play helps me I hope it will help those of you who like me have a hard time of letting go of clothes even though we never wear them.

Boisesue
Sister #1731

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  6:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Great idea! I will have to try this!! Thanks for sharing! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  7:54:43 PM  Show Profile
That is a really good idea. I don't have a lot of clothes - my hubby actually has more closet space than I do LOL. But my mom is always going through her clothes and saying "have I worn this?" I think this would be a great system for her to use!! Thanks for the tip!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  8:03:11 PM  Show Profile
I will have to do this. We've been packing up for our move and it is driving me crazy how much clothes we all have. I have those clothes that were pre pregnancy three kids ago thinking ooh Ill save that because I will fit into it. It never happens and I cant seem to find enough space.
thanks for sharing
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  07:56:05 AM  Show Profile
What a super idea. I'm going to do that right away and see what I get rid of this fall of my spring/summer stuff. I'm also going to do this with my shoes because I have way too many of those and I know I don't wear all of them.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Just turn the hangers around so that the opening is in the front no strings attached I have done this for years.
Any hanger facing the wrong way goes after 6 months
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:57:03 AM  Show Profile
..Susan! What a great idea! Thank you for sharing!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Tip for cleaning out your clothes closet Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page