Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Ceiling Fan Settings for Warm and Cold Weather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Ceiling Fan Settings for Warm and Cold Weather Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  12:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you have a ceiling fan, they can be a huge asset to your efforts to conserve energy. Especially in these hot summer months, and if you have 4 seasons, the cold months as well.

For Summer: Run ceiling fan only when people are in the room as the cooling effect is solely based on skin temperature evaporation point. In other words it won't actually lower the temperature in the room, rather it gives the illusion of lowering the temperature by creating air flow. Artificial Wind Chill Factor. Set on high speed for greatest effect.

Set your fan to run Clock Wise to direct the flow downwards. Make sure you are looking at it from the side as the fan slows to know if you have the setting correct.

For winter: Run ceiling fan constantly. Set it to run counter clock wise. This will redirect the collected warm air at the ceiling down along the walls and back into the room. Set on low speed so as to not give the wind chill factor.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

If you have a ceiling fan, they can be a huge asset to your efforts to conserve energy. Especially in these hot summer months, and if you have 4 seasons, the cold months as well.

For Summer: Run ceiling fan only when people are in the room as the cooling effect is solely based on skin temperature evaporation point. In other words it won't actually lower the temperature in the room, rather it gives the illusion of lowering the temperature by creating air flow. Artificial Wind Chill Factor. Set on high speed for greatest effect.

Set your fan to run Clock Wise to direct the flow downwards. Make sure you are looking at it from the side as the fan slows to know if you have the setting correct.

For winter: Run ceiling fan constantly. Set it to run counter clock wise. This will redirect the collected warm air at the ceiling down along the walls and back into the room. Set on low speed so as to not give the wind chill factor.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

thanks alee for posting this. i never even thought to run them in the winter. and i run the fans all the time, how silly of me i should run only when we are in the rooms.

AngiKay

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  2:57:03 PM  Show Profile
I've done this in the winter, when we use the fireplace. It helps keep the warm air from just settling up at the ceiling, since it rises by nature. Haha...never thought to turn it on a lower setting to avoid the wind chill factor...we always keep it going at a fast speed. Might help a wee bit if we quit doing that. LOL

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  4:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Alee.... So as wonderful as it is to have you back ( and you know we all think it is) what about Miss Nora?? How did she like the trip and the new house and all....??????and there has to be an updated photo.. I must be having little miss Nora withdrawls LOL...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  7:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Rene-

Well the camera broke before the move so we are stuck with the back up camera, so it might be a while before I have new pictures to share. Her whole schedule was thrown off by the move, so we are working on getting her back on track each day. Her sweet temper prevailed though and she was very sweet and good all the time. She had much fewer meltdowns than I though she would, actually. Mom and Dad took her home for 4 days while we got the house safe for her and she had lots of fun playing with her cousins. We are finding lots of fun parks here in town- one even has one of those kiddie wading pools for free so I think we are going swimming tomorrow!! yay!

I think Mom took some cute pictures of her in Wyoming so I will see if she can email me one of those!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  8:35:56 PM  Show Profile
welcome home gurlfren .. can hardly wait to hear all the 'gossip'. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  09:56:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip. I knew you were suppose to change the direction of the blades according to the season but I didn't know which direction went with which season.

But just a tip (and I just figured this out) Clean your blades before you change the direction of your blades because I didn't and Huge pieces of dust went flying everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

rgrahams54
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Susanne
Cantonment Florida
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  12:12:35 PM  Show Profile
here in Florida it is blistering hot already 93 degrees with high humidity. we run our ceiling fans in the day time in every room or the ac will run all the time. we have trid not running them in every room and the ac just will not cut off. we do conserve and keep thermostat on 78 degrees. we also run them in the winter to keep the warm air where it should be and fireplace smoke from settling on furniture. Thanks for the directions they should go, was not sure and it is always good to have a definate answer
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee. I try to remember to do this but tend to forget to switch them. A little trick I've learned is that in the summer, the switch needs to be down- to "cool down" the room. Then up in winter since the warm air rises "up". I am getting in the habit of turning the fans off, just like the lights, when the room is empty. Trying to save as much as possible on the utilities. I will have to try using them in the winter on low. Seems like I've tried them in winter but only got cold. Maybe we had them up too high and/or still on the summer setting.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TeaPriestess
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Dionne
Duluth Georgia
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  10:37:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rgrahams54

here in Florida it is blistering hot already 93 degrees with high humidity. we run our ceiling fans in the day time in every room or the ac will run all the time. we have trid not running them in every room and the ac just will not cut off.

I have to do the same thing here. I noticed a huge difference between my May bill and my June bill when I would turn off the fans in the unused rooms.

"Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."- Tien Yiheng
Yay I'm Farmgirl Sister #1690!
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  4:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great reminder! It was so nice to see this topic -- I always forget to change the direction of my ceiling fans. But this year... well, it's only one week in to summer and I'm going to go check that switch as soon as I get home!

Thanks!

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Ceiling Fan Settings for Warm and Cold Weather Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page