Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  03:51:16 AM  Show Profile
So how has everyone fared thus far concerning bee stings and such??

Odd how we can be waltzing around the garden and not get much in the way of the critters.

I got thumped on the bridge of the nose by a wasp 2 days ago, and this a.m. woke up w/ some slight swelling. I can see my cheek out of the corner of my eye. It also itches a little

Tried the baking soda thing when it first happened, but I forgot about the residual and swelling that will often times happen a few days later.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  03:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Anna, if you know what plantain looks like you should get a few leaves and chew them up a little and put it on the sting area. That should help the swelling go down in no time. Plantain grows out in the yard. It's a long leaf and the plant is kind of low to the ground. I have alot around here. I did that the other day when Kansas got a little ant sting or maybe a seat bee sting. It was gone in just a little while. That stuff is great.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  07:00:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry Anna. I hope you can get some relief soon.

I have fared well regarding bees and wasps, but yesterday I got nailed by a deer fly. Oh my goodness it hurts! I get welts from the bites (and don't normally react like that). I placed a little bit of Lavender essential oil on it and it helped.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  07:50:26 AM  Show Profile
OUCH! I got attacked by 3 wasps a few years ago, my arm swelled up something awful, but it also mae me feel like I had the flu for a few days. It sure makes you aware you have to share the garden. Hope you feel better soon, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  08:34:35 AM  Show Profile
...owwww!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  1:03:10 PM  Show Profile
I get stung every time I mow the yard. I go fast through the sides of the bushes, and every time it happens. I spray myself with mosquito spray before I start mowing. I think that's why it doesn't sting that much. I feel it, but it really doesn't bother me anymore.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  09:18:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh girls, everyone please be careful.

Please identify the plantain, as it will help tremendously. As posted by another farm girl, chew it and apply it. I don't know what grows in your area, but other herbs to identify are pennyroyal and curly dock.

All three of these are native to our area here in the Central Valley. My husband just told me that eating a few leaves of the Elm tree will also help.

If you grow any parsley, that will help also.

When my husband was about 10 years old, he got stung right in the jugular by a yellow jacket wasp. Ever since he is highly allergic to stings and we need to keep a kit on hand for him. We live so far out and once I thougth for sure I was going to lose him as I was driving at break neck speeds to get him to the emergency room.

So please be very careful.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  3:04:17 PM  Show Profile
The other day I was in the garage cleaning a shelf. I reached in to grag a stick of wood and got stung by a darn yellow jacket wasp on my index finger. I ran out and got some plantain, chewed it a little and put it on the sting. Within just a few minutes it quit hurting and I never even swelled at all. And it did hurt. So I know the platain works.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  9:24:56 PM  Show Profile
It's a good idea to let plantain grow in your yard/garden. If you have a landscaped yard, the plantain will still look nice, it's a pretty plant!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  9:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I'm glad that your finger didn't get seriously painful.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  03:39:32 AM  Show Profile
I certainly know plantain! It grows everywhere below one of our barns.

Will tuck this one back for future reference for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
I always step on wasps and rarely have shoes on. This year no exception. I have already been stung twice. Have never swelled but the itching can be a little crazy.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  10:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Every year I get attacked by wasps here. So far, I've made it sting free. Sorry to hear about your getting stung! It sure hurts like the dickens doesn't it?

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Jul 14 2010 6:55:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:52:39 AM  Show Profile
But I'll take wasp or bee over yellowjacket. Those make just about everybody swell and itch...and man does it HURT!!

Thank goodness I have never mowed over a nset, but have stood dangerously clse to one ..close enough to have gotten 3 stings on the hand.......swelled up and had big goofy looking gumby paws for a few days.

And I always feel badly for the honey bees when I get stung. None so far this year though. Although I had one read me the riot act when I was picing blackberries. It flew up into my face and hovered there for a few very long minutes. I froze and closed my eyes. It then flew to my hand and I think was just wanting a drink of sweat or something. I was too chicken to let it land on me though. Then it flew away
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Well, Kansas, my granddaughter, got too close to a bumblebee awhile ago. It got her on her middle finger. She scremaed like a banshee! So I ran and got some plantain and chewed it up and stuck it on her finger. It just took til we drove about 2 miles up the road to get a goat and she was fine. Hasn't mentioned it since.

I have an early apple tree up by the gate and all the apples are falling like crazy off the tree. So I'll get all the good ones and the bees and wasps get the rest. She was standing near the tree when this happened and was being very loud. I can go right out there with all the bees and gather aplles and never get stung. I think they sense bad vibes from people and attack. I know. I need to rake up all the rotten apples.

I hate to keep saying how good plantain is for stings but it is! I am so glad I know about it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  07:50:02 AM  Show Profile
This might come up twice. I lost my reply in cyberr space. Thanks for the plantain info. I'm going to google it and see what it looks like.My dad was a smoker so they tore open cigarettes and put tobacco on stings. We are a tobacco free home so I needed another cure.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic stung! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page