Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Raggedy Ann In A Barbie World
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Raggedy Ann In A Barbie World Next Topic
Page: of 4

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone else ever feel like a Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World? I saw this saying painted on a sign and it made me think and laugh. I feel like this all the time. I wear clothes that are comfortable and usually second hand. I love shopping at Goodwill or Used Clothing Stores. I look like a farmgirl most of the time, but I am OK with that. On the rare occasion that I go shopping with one of my girlfriends, I am appalled. The clothing in the Malls is just gawdy and poorly made and expensive! What is up with all those baby doll cut shirts? I wore those when I was pregnant! And don't even get me started on the little girls who look like mini hookers. We have truely become a materialistic and disposable society. Much to the dismay of my girlfriends...I will just stick with Raggedy Ann!

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  07:33:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad someone else has noticed the baby doll cut shirts -- I didn't like them when I was pregnant. I think I'll make a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll world sign. Although my husband says that my outdoor look is more like a fence line rider from Montana's Big Hole country where the mosquitoes are big and the summer mornings cold. I am always covered from head to foot -- protects me from insects and sun.
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  08:39:29 AM  Show Profile
What gets me going on this is you cannot find made in the USA anymore when shopping and none of it looks good. I wear overalls and blue jeans. I am not fancy at all and I like myself just fine. My husband does not like made up woman so we fit just fine.
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddlehead Farm

Does anyone else ever feel like a Raggedy Ann stuck in a Barbie Doll World? I saw this saying painted on a sign and it made me think and laugh. I feel like this all the time. I wear clothes that are comfortable and usually second hand. I love shopping at Goodwill or Used Clothing Stores. I look like a farmgirl most of the time, but I am OK with that. On the rare occasion that I go shopping with one of my girlfriends, I am appalled. The clothing in the Malls is just gawdy and poorly made and expensive! What is up with all those baby doll cut shirts? I wore those when I was pregnant! And don't even get me started on the little girls who look like mini hookers. We have truely become a materialistic and disposable society. Much to the dismay of my girlfriends...I will just stick with Raggedy Ann!

farmgirl sister #922

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  10:01:18 AM  Show Profile
Sing along with me now "I'm just a raggy girl in a barbie world" LOL

farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  10:19:05 AM  Show Profile
I so agree with you Diane!
I am in a quandary because I am going to my sister/cousins daughters graduation tomorrow.
Now my sister/cousin(we grew up together) is living in the expensive 2 house/car/neighborhood etc. etc. world, but deep down she is much like me. She wouldn't care if I come to the party in comfy, clean jeans, maybe a nice top and some earrings. But, her brothers wives would probably laugh at me. And, if my mother ever found out I went to a family function like that. ...Sigh....
I do have nice clothes in my closet. For years I have shopped at Ann Taylor, so have lots of classic clothes. But, you know what? I haven't worn any of them in over a year.
I would much prefer to go comfy, but will probably don a sundress for tomorrow.
And, as soon as I get home, the bra will be flung and the jeans and tank top be put back on! lol!! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  11:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm with you girls. When I come home from a thrift store with a pair of overalls, that's as good as a shopping day can get. :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  1:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Most Definitely!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  2:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Just sent for a pattern to make overalls. I'm waiting impatiently for the pattern to come. Then I can go buy some fabric on sale and have fun. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  9:00:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you ladies. Every once in a while my daughter talks me into going to the mall. We both usually come home empty handed. We love to shop at Value Village, Goodwill, etc.... And my hubby thinks my overalls are sexy! My daughter just moved to Winston Salem, about 100 miles away, and she can't wait for me to come up shopping at the new junk stores shes found.

I like that Raggedy Ann saying, may have to put that up somewhere.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  04:57:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you all, too! I always did like Raggedy Ann better than Barbie anyway. ;) Love to shop at thrift stores or make my own. Mom had the news on yesterday and they were showing the latest "fashions" for the backyard BBQ. They were things I might wear to a wedding, fancy dresses with heels and wraps and everything - it was insane! My husband said "Where are those people going to a BBQ at?" CRAZY!! Its nice to be a Raggedy Ann and its nice to have a hubby who agrees :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  12:19:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm a cross-breed, stuck somewhere between Ragedy Ann and Holly Hobbie! LOLOLOLOL I love me! I'm a Country Girl and a Happy one too!
Thrift store, here I come! hahaha

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  3:48:38 PM  Show Profile
I love Goodwill! I can come out of there with 4 or 5 outfits for what one department store blouse would cost and I just can't see the point in spending hours getting ready to go to town when I'm just going to come home and get dirty. Thank goodness I also have a husband that loves me the way I am.

Judy

"Speak your mind and ride a fast horse"
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:55:52 AM  Show Profile
i am glad i am not alone in this great big world of barbies!! nice to know i am in good company.

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  12:49:28 PM  Show Profile
I don't personally know any Barbie doll girls, probally cause they would want absolutly nothing to do with me,lol. I wear worn out jeans with lots of holes, and a tank top (and it usually has a hole or 2 also), I have 2 nice dresses for weddings or the like, and its been years since I wore them (I'll have to check and make sure the mice havn't eaten them), I am a farmer/rancher girl, not some foofoo girl, never have been, never will be.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  10:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I'm half and half I guess. lol I looove shopping at Goodwill!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  11:16:31 AM  Show Profile
Channah, I'm with you: half and half. While I do love dressing up in nice clothes, I would so rather wear jeans and t-shirt. I will agree though that there are a lot of mini hookers walking around these days. There were fifth graders at my school wearing skinny jeans and shirts from Aeropostale and Abercrombie! I sat there thinking, really? Fifth grade! Sorry for the rant, but that bothered me to the enth degree.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  12:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, my work outfits are professional woman; my home outfits are as my husband says, "nutty but cute." Last night I had to laugh at myself. WE went out to check the garden at dusk. I did not want to be bitten by mosquitoes; our are many and hungry.So here's what I wore: baseball cap (lightly sprayed with bug repellant), silk handkerchief, bright lime green t-shirt over which I wore a man's pink striped shirt and a full apron in bright lime green and yellow, black pants, socks, winter clogs, and pink gardening gloves. What a hoot. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  12:24:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I'm either...I dress professionally, classically--even expensively, but it's all bought at thrift stores. I don't buy trendy items, which I (think) would be in malls--haven't been in a mall in I can't tell you when!

I come home from the office and put on jeans, button downs with collars and Dansko clogs, and on weekends, unless we're going out somewhere, it's the same uniform.

If they made a doll that looked like Katherine Hepburn, I'd say I was more that than Raggedy or Barbie...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  1:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Well maybe more of a raggedy ann. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

dreamingofafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Tina
Bangor Pennsylvania
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  05:34:37 AM  Show Profile
I love wearing comfy prairie style or flowered dresses and sandals all day. I am always suprised by how out of place I look with other women in their 30s (they all look like they are dressed for a night club in New York City). Sometimes I can get self conscious. Nothing makes me feel better though than when I am dressed in my style, out and about, and one of the kids or my hubby tells me I look pretty!

Farmgirl Sisterhood #1355

"It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones afterall." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort" - Jane Austen
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile
So glad others feel the way I do. We just had our town's annual "Loggers Rodeo" and the guys are all wandering around in logger jeans, suspenders and work shirts. The girls, for the most part, looked like they stepped out of the mall or unfortunately, the "white trash" bus. Some people need to look in the mirror before they leave the house. geez.

I would say I am more of the Raggedy Ann. Even my "dress" up clothes are getting more and more comfy. I just hit the thrift store last week and found a calf length denim skirt. Pair it with t-shirt and sandals... good to go. I get very tired of wearing a uniform or fire t-shirt/jeans and duty boots. So being a modest, comfy apron wearing me.... just fine being raggedy ann.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  11:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Angie, unfortunately most of women's "casual" wear is starting to look like nightclub clothes. It's sad and very disgusting how some women think it's appropriate to dress like that during their daily lives.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  5:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I have to admit, I am pretty appalled at what some women where for casual times, times at family events, and even at work. Lingerie is not my idea of work clothes for women.

I wear professional clothes -- comfortable though -- I gave up on heels and pantyhose years ago. Garage sales have been a blessing to my gardening atire and my professional wardrobe. I buy basic black pants and shirts and then have fun with jackets, sweaters, and shirts. I sew tops too.

I like the idea of prairie dresses and long denim skirts.

Right now I am in a shoe quandry because of some foot pain issues my podiatrist said to wear atheletic shoes. But I'm not a fan of those and dress pants or skirts, no matter how casual. I found some great sandals that proved the right support - fisherman style, but I can't find any tie oxfords that will be good for work.

Any suggestions? Suzanne

Go to Top of Page

Boisesue
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Susan
Boise ID
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  7:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Hello Sisters, I thought it was just me! I don't care to go to the mall. As far as I'm concerned no matter how hard I try to find something to wear there, 99% of the time I come home tired and empty handed. The last time I went I decided to get out of my comfort zone and tried on lots and lots of things I never would have tried on before. I decided I like my comfort zone and was going to stay in it. I wear blue jeans and T-shirts. I own one skirt, bought it back in 2005 and I still have a dress I bought in 1997 for a dress up dinner we went to. I have one pair of nice slacks and I actually bought a couple of sweaters to go with the slacks last winter for a funeral I had to go to. I bought slacks so I didn't have to buy any shoes. I only wear clogs and Birkenstocks. I'm really in a rut as far as clothes go but I just can't put on those "maternity tops" or hooker tops and pants. I told my husband today that I needed to get my sewing machine set up again so I can start making some clothes, prairie dresses and skirts and blouses. I'm pretty tired of blue jeans and T-shirts.

Boisesue
Farmgirl #1731
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  10:37:26 AM  Show Profile
this should be put on a large coffee mug for sure! Priceless saying!

...life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  12:22:54 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to have a mug with that saying on it. Great idea. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Raggedy Ann In A Barbie World Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page