Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Challenge For July! Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  09:49:01 AM  Show Profile
My $1,200 budget challenge is almost over! (Don't worry, I think it is coming back in August!). So I announced on my blog today www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com my new challenge for July, which is a $400 grocery budget challenge. Now, $400 sounds like alot, especially since we typically spend just $300 a month, but we are going to be eating more raw, natural, and organic. So I am giving us that extra $25 a week to do that. That will equal out to $20 per week per person. Wish us luck...and feel free to join in or follow our journey!
-Elizabeth

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  12:20:33 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy reading your challenges. We also live on a $300-$400 a month budget for food with four adults and two boys (age 6 and 7).

Have you ever looked at the USDA's thrifty food plan? Its what they base food stamps on. The last published rates on their site are from April of 2010 and it has a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids, age 6-11) as THRIFTY at $586.00 a month. So if you're going by that, I think you're doing just fine!!...and in fact could be spending more than you are and still be considered thrifty :) (Which always makes us giggle a bit up here...but I've also heard that depending on what part of the country you're in, the USDA's guidelines can seem really high or not high enough.)

If you want to take a look:

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/USDAFoodCost-Home.htm

It always makes us feel better about what we are doing ;) Good luck!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prudy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Prudence
Springfield OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  1:24:12 PM  Show Profile
how in the world do you do it?
I have 5 kids and two are teenage boys who eat everything in sight and then complain I don't keep enough food in the house! I spend anywhere from $600-900 a month on groceries, ONLY groceries and I hate to admit it, but we also raise our own beef, so beef not included! I sure could use some tips, I already shop at walmart and use coupons, and for my produce I try and buy organic from a different store as I don't like walmarts produce. UGH!

farmgirl sister #1528
www.avintagemom.blogspot.com
www.lollipookiesoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  8:52:24 PM  Show Profile
there's a website called e-meals that you can pick from several options and they give you a meal plan for the week, a grocery list, and how to prepare the meals.(they even have a walmart meal plan, if you shop there for groceries). It does cost $15 for 3 months but I found it is well worth the money. With all the little trips to the store every other day, I was surprised to find we were spending over $1000/month at the store! I was shocked. With this e-meals plan, I would make 1,maybe 2 trips per week to the store to get everything and the bill was around $80/week. HUGE difference!

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert

Edited by - Rxgirl on Jun 27 2010 8:53:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic New Challenge For July! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page