Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  07:18:35 AM  Show Profile
My hubby and I have been married 25 years in Aug. We met when we were both in the Navy and spent many months apart, in the days brfore e mail, and I have several boxes of leters. We both saved all our letters. Most of the letters I would never destroy but there are some that was meant for my eyes only, if ya know what I mean. I worry about the kids finding them, but I don't have the heart to get rid of them either. Any suggestions? My first thought is to destroy them but I am open to suggestions......thank you!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  07:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Locked box.

Put the ones that you would want your kids to see together in a scrapbook. That way they will remember you and your hubby and share it with your Grands and Great Grands.

I hope this helps.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  09:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Please, please, please don't destroy them, put them up, with instructions that they can be read by your adult children when you are gone, no matter what they say, they are part of you and your husbands legacy, don't take that away from your kids. I have all the letters that my late hubby wrote to me, and I have the ones that I wrote to him, reading them time after time is ...just wonderful.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

TeaPriestess
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Dionne
Duluth Georgia
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  10:23:56 AM  Show Profile
Please, PLEASE don't destroy them! My mother just passed away last August (my dad died several years ago) and as we were cleaning up the estate, I found a box of all sorts of letters my folks had written each other when my dad was stationed in Korea and Turkey. Yes they were very intimate, but I feel I got to know a different side of my parents. I wasn't really close with my father so this was a wonderful snap shot of him from a different perspective. He wasn't really that affectionate but in reading the letters I think he was just better at writing it than showing it. I found this SO comforting as I've been mourning my mom. I've put them in a notebook and I'll save them for when my children grow up. Part of our family history

"Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."- Tien Yiheng
Yay I'm Farmgirl Sister #1690!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  12:10:54 PM  Show Profile
Don't destroy them!! Your letters are such a huge part of your history...oh my gosh, you have to save them! If you're afraid of someone finding them before you think they should read them, I agree "locked box" or something like that. Don't let your kids miss out on that part of their parents history because of something that might turn your/their face a little red! ;) I think they would understand :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  12:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with everyone else! Lock box them!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  9:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Those are treasured memories, one day your children, grandchildren and those beyond will love those. A couple years ago, after losing my mom, (dad had passed 6 yrs. before mom), and after moving to eastern Wa., I had some time and started sorting through a box of moms I hadn't gone through, I found loads of letters dad had written her through their "going steady" years, breaking up here and there, after they were married, and those love notes continued for many years after, I am SO thrilled to have them!! So, just lock up the x-rated ones!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  9:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh...Goodness NO! Don't destroy them.

Get yourself a fireproof box secure them with a nice ribbon and put them away for future generations. It is so very important to keep your letters....it is your very own history!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  6:11:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone. I know I could never destroy those letters, that is how I got through those lonely months. I think I will seperate the ones I don't want any one to see and some day some one will find them. There are plenty left for the kids to read now !

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  7:14:53 PM  Show Profile
I would scan all of them and save a digital copy and then save them in a lock box in a bank incase you ever had a fire or something. Even the ones for your eyes only.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  08:59:33 AM  Show Profile
I concur! keep them. Doing the family history these are very precious to you right now, but your grandkids and great grandkids will have stories to put to the pictures.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  09:49:32 AM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone. Don't destroy them.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  12:45:04 AM  Show Profile
I say don't destroy them.

Funny you bring this up! My parents are still alive! and I found their old love letters last year on accident! DAD! lol I was going to give my mom a surprise for their anniversary. And that was to put together their photos in a nice scrap book, I asked dad where they were, and he gave me free range of the area all the photos were! And there lied their old letters. Crazy me I read them.........but not all, don't worry I'm not that mean. I only read one! And then I got the drift of what they were. And put them back up. I haven't even told my other siblings! And probably won't till they pass-my parents pass that is not my siblings. Cause I don't feel it's our business yet. But, from reading the one letter, I don't feel my parents should get rid of them or feel embarrassed about them. And believe me it was pretty steamy! lol haha Yeah, I put it back quick! haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  5:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Don't destroy them! Those letters, though private, are a part of you. I say lock box!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Old love letters.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page