CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  09:18:15 AM  Show Profile
Well, I just canned (water bath) for the first time. I canned 23 quarts of dill pickles and a quart of pickled green bell peppers. It was really fun but tiring. I think I am going try my hand at canning my ten gallons of dewberries. I'm going to make jelly.

What is the difference between jelly, jam, and preserves???

Happy canning ladies!

Cynthia

Farmgirl sister # 852

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  09:51:49 AM  Show Profile
Jelly is typically the clear juice like a thick jello. Jam is more mushed fruity spread. The definition for preserves.... not sure? More like jam than jelly, but the ones I've had always had chunks of fruit in them.

great job on your canning adventure!! I am working on lots of food preserving this year. Trying to get away from any store bought cans of fruit, soup, veges, etc.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  12:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Isn't canning fun? It is for sure one of my favorite things to do! I agree with Angie...jelly is clear, jam is mashed fruit, preserves is usually whole or bigger pieces. I make jam or jelly the most.
I think dill pickles was one of my first canning experiences too and I LOVE them!
Have fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  1:30:01 PM  Show Profile
Congraultions! Great job! I think you'll enjoy making fruit spreads too! I prefer jam or preserves but that's just a personal preference. Jelly has always seemed too much like jello to me! :)

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what I'm going to make (jam vs. jelly). I'm going to mash the dewberries through a fine mesh collinder because I don't want the seeds in the spread whether it's jam or jelly.

Thanks! Yes, it was fun. I can't wait to see what else I can can. I'm looking forward to when my tomatoes come up!

Cynthia

Farmgirl sister # 852
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  2:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that's a lot of pickles. LOL. good for you!! I just canned my first green beans using the pressure canner, a little anxiety producing, but fun, very satisfying. Did a few quarts of pickles today. I think I'm getting addicted.

the jelly or jam sounds great. good luck with that project. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  9:05:59 PM  Show Profile
The girls are right on the differences between jelly, jam and preserves. If you find a recipe for conserves, that is preserves with nuts added.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  10:22:19 PM  Show Profile
I started with apple butter. I now make jelly, jam, and butters for my stand at the farmers market. I have never used a pressure canner, but will be this summer for the first time. I think you'll like jelly makin, just don't worry if it doesn't set up right. It still happens to me sometimes and there is always a 'fix it' recipe to be found on the internet. I make sure I always have extra lids around.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  06:42:58 AM  Show Profile
I actually prefer jelly. I juice everything that I have! Then I freeze it if I'm not ready to make a batch. I'm just not crazy about the seeds or big clumps of fruit. I use an OXO brand food mill for juicing. It is so cool.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page