Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What kind of sewing machine(s)..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What kind of sewing machine(s).. Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile
do you have? What is your favorite machine? What types of things do you sew?

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  09:39:00 AM  Show Profile
I have a 60 year old singer, I learned to sew on, and a 1905 treadle I am learning to sew on. I had a machine but it had too much plastic on, it didn't feel right. I have made everything on my Singer, from diapers to overalls to aprons. What about you?

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!
Don't out smart your common sense!!
Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

CyndiAnn
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cyndi
Crystal MN
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  09:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I have an older Singer industrial and a Kenmore that I got when I graduated from high school some 30+ yrs ago - I love them both! I've gone back to making most of my own clothes, and I like to do a bit of quilting (small things), make totebags & purses, & other crafty sewing. I've always loved to sew!

Cyndi

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  09:48:59 AM  Show Profile
My old maching died and for Christmas a few years ago I got a Singer Confidence for one of my gifts. I love it. I also have a White, over lock machine, but haven't really tried that yet.
As far as what I love to sew...

I love to quilt, but prefer to that by hand if I can. I also love to make rag dolls, stuffed animals and different things like that. I just wished that I had someone to give what I make to. I think that I'm going to try to make some bags soon.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  09:57:47 AM  Show Profile
At age 8 I learned to make my own clothing on my Grandma's 1920 Singer Treadle and haven't stopped sewing since. I've been quilting for 40+ years, I currently own a Brother 1300 quilt club that sits on my Grace pro long arm frame, Babylock Quilter's choice that sits in my sewing table, a Babylock serger, and a Babylock Esante Embrodiery machine. I also have a 10 pound Eclipse that travels on air planes with me. Love to sew ANYTHING...curtains, bed linens, clothing, purses, frabic bowls are me new delight at present.

MJFG #1443
Carmen

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:02:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a 1949 Singer that was my mom's, she got it when she graduated high school in 1967, a Singer Confidence that I bought 2 years ago which I love, and a vintage treadle that I don't remember the brand of. I just found a 1949 Singer sewing manual at a thrift store too, which I thought was cool since it matches my machine.
I have sewn comforter type quilts, lots of aprons, some garments and purses. I haven't done much with knits but I'm thinking that is my next step.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:08:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a fairly new Brother. It has some fancy stitches but is not an embroidery machine. What I like is the needle threader. When I was younger, I sewed some clothes but I mostly do crafts. I have made a couple skirts lately, though.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  1:11:14 PM  Show Profile
I sew on a Pfaff Performance which I love. It's a real workhorse and a good investment. I sew clothes, bags, aprons, tea cozies, mail art, you name it! I'm not much of a quilter because I'm terrible in math, but some of the new quilt designs are more forgiving, so I might give quilting another try. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  1:18:21 PM  Show Profile
I have a Viking Designer SE - I love that machine. It does great embroideries and regular sewing is a breeze. I also have a Viking Serger and an Elna 5 thread serger. Can you tell I like to sew??

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  1:24:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kenmore...got it 10 years ago for Christmas. It is not the cheapest model, but definitely NOT a top model. I love it! It has knobs, no digital anything. I don't want anything digital on my machine! :0P

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  2:02:42 PM  Show Profile
I have a Brother. I bought it with my winning from a Super Bowl pool at work a few years ago. Best use of their money I could think of. *L* I have made apron's skirts, curtains, dolls, pincushions. It is a simple basic machine, but will do everything I need it to do. One of these days, I would really like a serger and a machine that can embroidery. Someday...........

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  08:57:24 AM  Show Profile
WoW!! you guys have some great machines! I love the vintage machines, especially those that are in good working order (lots of them keep going, and going, and going :)

I have a new fangled machine (Bernina) with a big embroidery attachment - love it!; a 1970's Bernina (still humming along); an old Singer (1955) the green machine; a treadle and a felting machine.

I sew a ton of stuff, I sell about 1/2 of it and donate a bunch of it to charities and then use some things for gifts. My favorite thing to sew - purses!! love em but I also quilt, make clothes and almost anything else I can think of.

I hope sewing isn't a dying art and that we'll all pass it along to any kid who'll listen (lol).
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  10:46:50 AM  Show Profile
My sewing machine is a "modern" Viking Huskevana (sp?) that I bought refurbished back when I was in university. That baby sews through leather or chiffon and doesn't blink, I love her! I recently pulled her out after a long hiatus and was shocked to find her only stitching backwards, so I need to take her in to get fixed. I refuse to buy any machine made after 1970! Lately my go-to machine has been a 1912 Singer 66-1 treadle I inherited from my great-aunt. It's my favorite, just doesn't do basting well or buttonholes easily. I also have a 1925 Singer 128 that was a hand crank but was converted to electric that was my great grandmothers from the other side of my family, and my mom's 628 Touch and Sew. I really want to get a Davis vertical feed for quilting, though. My dad says I am obsessed LOL!!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  11:13:07 AM  Show Profile
I have my Mother's newer Kenmore.
It has dials no computer stuff. Less for me to break [and pay to fix!].
I am learning to sew so I haven't done much yet, but the latest thing I'm working on is a replica of a mid 1800's map container [they where made of leather but I have some looks-like-leather fabric to work with].
I have a reproduction of an old Nebraska railroad map that I'm going to sew to this material. Apparently they used to use parchment maps sewn on leather and rolled up with a tie. This will be the type of map and container my Dad's ancestor John Jeffery may have used when he and Lorena first settled in Nebraska in 1868.
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!

http://familyhistoryfindings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  12:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I have an Old metal Bernina that's a great workhorse. This past Christmas, my husband bought me a Brother, so I could do some machine embroidery. It's a pretty nice machine that was relatively inexpensive. I've seen a treadle machine & think it's sooo pretty. Would love to get it, but am a little intimidated whether I would know how to clean it up & make it work. I've got my eye on it though I love anything that is hand-powered (foot powered, in this case). I sew for my little business & for charity. I make quilts by hand & by machine.

Love...always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor 13:7
Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  1:35:10 PM  Show Profile
I have a Jaguar (no one has ever heard of those) and a Brother and a cheap one I picked up from the thrift store- can't even remember it's name!
I also have my great grandmothers Singer but I haven't used it.
I make quilts and clothes. I have loved my Brother. It's a 6000csi.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AsiyahK
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Asiyah
New Jersey
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  5:56:33 PM  Show Profile
I have a Brother CS-6000i that I piece quilt blocks with. My favorite machine is a New Home mechanical that I only use for quilting.

I've named her Lola. She makes a beautiful stitch.

Visit my blog at http://mypointohtwo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  6:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Well I have learned something new....I've never heard of a Jaguar or Davis sewing machines. Anybody have a short bio on these machines?
Severe weather coming soon, got to run,
MJFG#1443
Bellagirl

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  9:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, the Davis are older and I don't know if they make them anymore, BUT the particular type I want, the vertical feed, I simply don't understand why they stopped making them! The needle goes into the fabric, stays in while the feed dogs move both needle and fabric back the stitch length, then the needle comes out and forward for the next stitch. No need for walking feet for quilting, sweet!! There's a youtube video on it somewhere.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  06:00:01 AM  Show Profile
OMG! AsiyahK - Lola is a beautiful and sexy machine! very nice.

I've never heard of a Jaguar - I'm off to look it up and see if I can find a picture.
Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  06:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Catherine for the Davis info. It sounds delightful. I do alot of machine quilting these days, it's much easier on the old hands. Think I better do some checking on the Davis. There must be more out there collecting dust and needing a good home. LOL

MJFG #1443
Bellagirl

Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  12:27:08 PM  Show Profile
needy - I'm having some serious drooling envy right now! Crazy?? I don't think so.. lol.

what model is your new Bernina?
what types of things do you sew, now?

I gave away my featherweight old singer and have longed for it ever since. My first tredle machine burned up in a house fire :(
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  6:28:12 PM  Show Profile
I have a Husqvarna Viking Rose, a Singer featherweight (52 model), a 1917 singer--electric, and Janome Magnolia which is actually my daughters but she doesn't sew on it so I do. I have to say my favorite is the Singer featherweight. Although it only does straight stitches it is the best sewing machine I have ever seen.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  6:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Jeanna, I have a featherweight also and LOVE it! It just hums along and sews so beautifully! It was made the year I was born, 1941! I live in Blue Ridge, GA, not far from you in Franklin, NC! I hear you have a few nice quilt stores there! Haven't been yet, but I'm coming soon!
Hugs, Ruth

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Deana
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Deana
Greenview IL
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  6:46:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kenmore that I've had for a good 30 years, it's wonderful. I also have my grandma's old singer heavy duty upholstery machine, an extra head for it, an extra singer treadle head, two singer treadles and one New Royal treadle. Atioll my treadles were purchased at aution real cheap. I'm very fortunate that no one else wanted them. Wish i had more time to play with them. I love to make new purses out of old blue jeans.
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  8:06:26 PM  Show Profile
I have a Singer Scholastic -- the kind used in schools. It's not computerized and is a great machine. I did have to have it repaired this past month, but that is after 8 years of working without any problem and it just needed oiling in a rather remote place. I also have a White Treadle machine from early 1900's -- plan to learn to use it. I had to hunt for a bobbin case and found one in another White at an estate sale. the machine isn't in great shape, but the bobbin case is, so it was a great buy for me. I have an old electric Singer and table that I use as a prop for pictures of my sewing projects. I just love the look of the old metal machines. I learned to sew in the 1960's on one and love the feel.

I sew aprons, clothes, quilts, purses, and other projects on my Singer Scholastic. I made two really neat t-shirt quilts for our oldest sons -- I used their sport t-shirts; one lovely quilted purse for our daughter; and I'm just finishing up a quilted wall-hanging for our youngest.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What kind of sewing machine(s).. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page