Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 herbs for psoriasis/skin rashes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbs for psoriasis/skin rashes? Next Topic  

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  7:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I have a patch of psoriasis on my leg that is really getting to me! I've had many prescriptions that have helped a bit, but they all seem to be a temporary fix,and I'm just sick of spending the money on new prescriptions.
So, I'm starting to look into herbal /natural remedies instead. any suggestions for something I could either take internally, or apply as a compress to the area?

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  8:36:24 PM  Show Profile
I too had issues and figured it was an internal issue and something I was eating. Well come to find out I had lots of intolerance that I am now dealing with. the big ones were gluten, dairy and sugars. I'm sure someone else will recommend something and there are others threads with this same issue, but I might recommend you look at some of your foods for the main cause. I too spent lots of money trying to find something to help the itch. Because the internal repair takes a bit of time, I've been at this a few weeks, the nutritionist suggested "Derma Cap", a holistic doctor he knows recommends it. It is a spray that takes the itch away. Haven't tried it yet, but on the list. Good luck.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  10:46:12 PM  Show Profile
Try not using soap or shampoo any more at all. And only wash yourself with baking soda. It may take a few times, but I am betting it will get rid of it. It did for my daughters and me.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  10:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Calendula-I use Calendula in my lemon verbena handcrafted soap. I have a client who had terrible psoriasis until he started using my soap-He swears by it and I do believe it is because of the natural vegetable oils I use in my soap and no preservatives plus the Calendula!

On a checkup at his clinic his dermatologist asked him what he was using...my client brought along a bar of my soap and said "This is what I am using!" The dermatologist was impressed-Made me smile when he told me!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  08:42:58 AM  Show Profile
I have a feeling I need to try dairy free,and maybe gluten free. I just havent' gotten around to it yet. Uggh- that will be a huge dietary change, too. I was thinking of finding a naturopath and getting tested for other food sensitivities. My mom just went to one,and found out she has 20 food sensitivities!
quote:
Originally posted by Montrose Girl

I too had issues and figured it was an internal issue and something I was eating. Well come to find out I had lots of intolerance that I am now dealing with. the big ones were gluten, dairy and sugars. I'm sure someone else will recommend something and there are others threads with this same issue, but I might recommend you look at some of your foods for the main cause. I too spent lots of money trying to find something to help the itch. Because the internal repair takes a bit of time, I've been at this a few weeks, the nutritionist suggested "Derma Cap", a holistic doctor he knows recommends it. It is a spray that takes the itch away. Haven't tried it yet, but on the list. Good luck.

Best Growing

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile
I forgot all about calendula! A friend use to make a salve with that. It cleared up my son's eczema right away. Does all your soap have calendula in it, or just certain ones?
quote:
Originally posted by melody

Calendula-I use Calendula in my lemon verbena handcrafted soap. I have a client who had terrible psoriasis until he started using my soap-He swears by it and I do believe it is because of the natural vegetable oils I use in my soap and no preservatives plus the Calendula!

On a checkup at his clinic his dermatologist asked him what he was using...my client brought along a bar of my soap and said "This is what I am using!" The dermatologist was impressed-Made me smile when he told me!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  5:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Try eliminating cinnamon from your diet. In many people it exacerbates skin problems. Good luck!

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:29:42 PM  Show Profile
Chickweed salve was a great help for my daughter who had eczema on her legs.

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile
What does chickweed look like?

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mayamade
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

maya
minneapolis minnesota
30 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  5:23:29 PM  Show Profile
hiya, psoriasis is an over growth of skin cells, so skip any thing that would rejuvinate or cause cell regeneration. the skin cells dont get mature when you have psoriasis. try a salve with comfrey, chickweed and calendula in it. i would make it with cocobutter and olive oil as a base.
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  05:23:29 AM  Show Profile
definitely calendula. My son had a rash the doctor said was exzema and I bought him some calendula cream to put on it. Gone in 4 days, never came back. Surprised him, but not me. I keep telling them God didn't plunk us down here without a way to take care of ourselves.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic herbs for psoriasis/skin rashes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page