Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 ten native plants in oregon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic ten native plants in oregon Next Topic  

christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  3:35:27 PM  Show Profile
i am working on a badge under outpost on out there women. i wanted to share with you the 10 native plants in oregon.#1 douglas fir: is an evergreen tree, the seeds are extremely important for small mammals and birds. the wood is used for lumber and in other countries the buds are used to make a clear colorless fruit brandy. #2evergreen huckleberry: in summer it produces round edible black berries. traditionally these berries were sought after and collected by many native american tribes. #3 false solomon's seal: its a woodland plant, the young shoots while still tender and stripped of their leaves can be simmered in water and eaten, but can act as a laxative in sensitive people. #4 sagebrush: coarse silvery-grey bush, the plant is highly allergentic to humans and can cause dermatitis if applied to skin of sensitive people. #5 common snowberry: is a deciduos shrub in the honeysuckle family. it is poisonous to humans but is an important winter food source for quail, pheasent and grouse.#6 vine maple: commonly grows as a large shrub, usually in the under story of a taller forest. leaves turn from bright yellow to orange in the fall.#7 red flowering currant: is a very popular garden shrub grown for its brightly colored and scented flowers, the fruit is a dark purple oval berry edible but with an insipid taste.#8 salal:is a leathery-leaved shrub, with dark blue berries and the smaller leaves are both edible, used as an appetite suppreant and as a sweetner, the leaves are sometimes used to flavor fish soups. #9 pacific madrone: is abroad leafed evergreen tree with rich orange-red bark, has small bell like flowers and in the fall red berries, many mammals and birds feed off the berries. #10 piggyback plant: is a perennial plant commonly kept as an ornimental. native to the west coast especially in regions dominated by redwoods. it bears small flowers usually brownish-purple to white. it requires moisture and does not tollerate sun or dry conditions..hope you all enjoyed reading this, have a great weekend... rose

"Life is'nt about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain" sister #1486

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  8:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Rose, for the info! I learned some things :-) Best wishes on your merit badge!

Love...always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor 13:7
Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  07:27:00 AM  Show Profile
hi oregon girls, i am in redmond and bend. we should start a chapter. we have patti in portland and lisa in bend also. i love oregon. i was born and grew up in coos bay. good job on your plants. i grow currants over here. sure miss coastal wild fruits. huckleberry for sure. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  09:23:36 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the imput, im up for an oregon chapter, i dont belong to one yet and this would be fun... rose

"Life is'nt about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain" sister #1486
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  09:29:22 AM  Show Profile
Hey!! I am in Washington and those look like our Native plants too. LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic ten native plants in oregon Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page