Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 For us letter writing people. A must read.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic For us letter writing people. A must read. Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  11:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Farmgirls! I thought is was such a neat artical from Cindy Woodsmall newsletter. Just wanted to share it with you all.

I received a letter from one of my Amish friends not long ago. As I handled the white envelope that arrived in my mailbox, I thought about how it had been in a home built in the 1700s and addressed to me in the same manner as if it were the 1700s—by candlelight. I slit open the envelope with my letter opener and unfolded the crisp, white paper with a smile of anticipation. Seeing the handwritten words and knowing that I had in my hand the opportunity to “visit” with my friend touched my heart.

E-mail, texts, Twitter, Facebook, etc. are wonderful. We can stay in touch with family and friends no matter where we, or they, are. But how often do we save or print out e-mails? Most of the new communication technology promotes brevity. That’s not a bad thing. I enjoy that newer aspect of life a lot. But with a real letter in hand, I poured myself a cup of coffee and moved to my recliner, ready to absorb the sights, sounds, and aromas radiating from those pages.

In this age of instant communication, there’s something special about getting mail that you can hold in your hand, knowing that someone cares about you enough to sit down, pick up a pen, and share his or her life, thoughts, and feelings, then seal and stamp the letter or card and take it to the post office.

Do you have any special letters or cards you’ve saved that you enjoy rereading? Handmade cards from your children when they were little, with misspelled words and crooked hearts pasted with too much glue? Maybe a collection of special letters from a loved one, tied with an old-fashioned ribbon?

I’m not a hoarder at all. I routinely clean out storage rooms, closets, and drawers. But I don’t throw away letters or cards. If you’ve ever sent me a letter or note via US mail, I still have it. I’m amazed how many years of notes, cards, and lengthy letters can be stored in one stackable tub. I keep a tub in an easily accessible spot, and when I receive something handwritten, it is displayed in a prominent place for a while, then stored in that tub. When I’m dealing with a particularly bad patch of life, I can return to that container that holds years of items written to me and read through them. It’s soothing to read a thank-you note for doing something I don’t remember, or to read about a loved one’s garden, neighbor, or doctor’s visit. I have ten years of sweet letters from our sponsor daughter in Thailand, most of which have the same words written over and over. I enjoy reading the birthday and Mother’s Day cards again too. Or the humor cards, like the one that says, “You have just received the Amish Virus. Since we do not have electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all of your files. Denki!”

Words—whether written, sung, or spoken—have the power to encourage the downtrodden, heal wounds, make us laugh, and call to mind a memory of honor or hurt decades after the event.

We all store words. Maybe you don’t have a tub full of them in an office closet, but I’ll bet you can recall, with sorrow or joy, some words that you’ve stored. What words are you giving someone else to store?

Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  11:26:15 AM  Show Profile
Well said! I too save cards & letters as well as write them. I grew up before all this technology & it is still habit to write a letter. (besides as you will soon find out my typing is not the best!) It is soooo much more personal to think that someone cares enough to put pen to paper & handwrite you a note! Thanks for finding & sharing that Channah.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  11:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You are so welcome Karla! I just loved it and knew I had to share it with you all.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Channah, thank you for sharing that wonderful "soul food".....simpler times before the race began!! We each need to try to incorporate at least one simple act in our daily lives and before we know it, maybe we could all find a way to slow down and live life to it's fullest. That's what MJF is all about anyway, so shouldn't be difficult for us!!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  4:07:19 PM  Show Profile
this is very neat and why I write letters to pen pals.I have had pen pals since I was a pre teen.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  5:04:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree! To me, there is nothing like holding and reading a hand written letter or holding a book and reading it.
Channah! I'm still waiting on your letter.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

TeaPriestess
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Dionne
Duluth Georgia
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  5:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing this! Even with all the moving we do, I kept all the letters and cards people sent to me. We had a flood when we lived in Germany and one of the boxes that was lost had letters in it that ended up having to be tossed. I keep all of them in rubbermaid containers now. Also my mother passed away last August and one of her friends (who was my 8th grade teacher) wrote me a lovely letter telling me how much my mom loved me and valued my opinion. It was so healing over these last few months of adjusting to be able to pull out that letter and read it.
I can't wait to start writing penpals.

"Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."- Tien Yiheng
Yay I'm Farmgirl Sister #1690!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  5:32:47 PM  Show Profile
I do the same thing - keep handwritten cards and letters. I have some from a dear lady who was my neighbor growing up and like a grandmother to me. When I grew up and moved away she still wrote me until her death a few years back. She was in her nineties then. I can still rummage through my box of letters and know which were hers by her handwriting. And countless notes from my mom, friends...they mean alot. Thanks Channah for sharing this.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  6:04:12 PM  Show Profile
This is lovely. I save all handwritten letters and cards. Love reading them with my cup of tea.
hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  6:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so happy you ladies like it!!

Marly, I finished your letter today and hope to mail it tomorrow or Monday. Been super busy!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  7:40:40 PM  Show Profile
My sister just said to me the other day about keeping letters written to her. She
said it was a record keeping of what when on in each person life at the time. Also
reminds me of sort of like a diary. I like to keep all my notes and cards and letters,
but every now and then someone in the family will say what are you saving all that for?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  10:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing Channah! I have saved or my Mom has saved pretty much all my cards since about third grade. And now I'm a freshman in high school! I love looking at old birthday, Valentine's Day, Easter, Christmas, and just because cards. I love reading all of them, and I do agree that emails and posts just aren't as heartfelt as a handwritten letter.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  11:13:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for that uplifting message, Channah. I keep all the letters from friends and family and now all of my pen pals here.
It is very comforting to go back and re-read sweet words of encouragement or words that cause laughter, or childish words written from an innocent heart. Those are awesome treasures. I have letters that my daughters have written me and I think they are those ones I treasure the most. The note cards they have sent or given me and I keep all the cards, birthday, anniversary, etc.
Denise
Farm girl sister #43
"All you need is faith, trust and......a little bit of pixie dust" ~Peter Pan

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 19 2010 11:15:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  7:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You ladies are most welcome!!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  10:10:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Channah. I'll be waiting!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  06:19:33 AM  Show Profile
This was a great share Channah! Really enjoyed reading it. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  4:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
So glad you ladies liked it!!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic For us letter writing people. A must read. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page