momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  06:45:58 AM  Show Profile
OK, so I've got this mouse who has triggered about seven traps! He got caught in the first one, but wriggled out with a scar on his nose, and much wiser! He just trots AROUND the traps. My cat will catch the mice, but won't KILL them, she just plays with them and lets them go! Anyone else have that problem?
Doesn't seem to bother the mice much, as they keep coming back!
They also seem to love the stove, I had to empty 2 drawers next to it as I got tired of cleaning and disinfecting them over & over!
They did slow down in the spring....I've seen 2 milk snakes by the house foundation, and I know they love eating mice!
Maybe I need a pet snake....LOL

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Rxgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Dana
Id
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile
I'm using the peppermint oil on some cotton balls and it seems to be working pretty well. we live next to a large open space and get them quite frequently. even with 2 good mousers, the peppermint oil seems to be the trick at the moment more than the cats

farmgirl #1432

"He who throws mud only loses ground"-Fat Albert
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  04:23:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh you girls are making me lol!!! But, not too hard, because last night right behind me as I typed on here, I heard a scratching, turned around and there was a mouse! The night before that, we had caught one in a trap in the coat closet in the kitchen. I am hoping it is just the 2, once we get rid of this one we'll be all set.
Yeah, fat chance.
I don't have a problem with doing everything I can inside here to get rid of them, but in this old house, it is a losing battle. I have actually seen mice and chipmunks go up under the siding and into the woodshed that is attached to the house. There is no way to seal that up I don't think, but you can bet I'll have hubby looking.
Very important point here- Go all around your foundation, inside and out, and seal up the holes where the mice are coming in. In our last house we did that one fall, and we didn't have mice for a few years. The we had to go around again and seal up more holes.
And, we always had cats too, but I really don't want to get one right now...

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that using steel wool or copper scrubbie pads (like chore boy)to plug up holes will keep them from using the same entrance. They cut their mouths on the metal. I used that on a few spots around the house and in the attic (to deter squirrels) paired with great stuff expanding spray. Not a bit of that stuff has been disturbed for years. My garage door doesn't sit flush with ground so I'm stuck there. Fill any hole dime size and bigger. Heard mice can flatten out to that tiny a size! The great stuff expands A LOT so use less than you think you need until you get the hang of it. Excess can be trimmed after it dries with a knife or razor blade. Getting peppermint oil for the garage today. Moth balls worked, but they are SO toxic!!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile
I see somebody already suggested Peppermint Oil, and I'm glad to see that it's discouraging the little rodent. If you don't want a cat, borrow one for a while and that should solve the problem.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  5:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Here's another idea for you...my mom had MICE & BATS too!
We put small trays of USED kitty litter in her basement (MICE)
and on her attic steps (BATS). VOILA! Both skedaddled! Mom
didn't want to get a cat, so that was the next best thing.
YUCKY, but so is the alternative!
She replaced it as needed. JUST A THOUGHT!

oO __
<^^) )~~ SCRAM MOUSEY, SCRAM!
^^ ^^

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  5:46:26 PM  Show Profile
I have three jack russells, no mice and no chicken predators in the yard!

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:25:26 PM  Show Profile
We actually have a bunch of brown rats in the field across from our house. I see them cross over to our side sometimes when they bush hog. It just makes me freak out. We leave poison out in the barn but they dont eat it.

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mice... eeek! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page