Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Quick update while I'm in town & have computer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Quick update while I'm in town & have computer Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  4:52:49 PM  Show Profile
The past two weeks have been wild around here. I've spent several days putting together the estimate for building our house so we could present it to our banker. I know now the price on almost every size stud, roof trusses, floor joists, and every other part of a house! I've decided on window sizes & placement, siding & shingles, hardwood flooring, ceramic tile, location of each & every outlet, and how the doors will swing open. It's been an interesting project, and I've learned alot!

We now have 6 guniea chicks and 2 ducks (all babies) and are really enjoying them. What we are NOT enjoying is the almost-continual rain that has turned our road and the "yard" where our camper sits into a slip-slidy muddy mess. We haven't had more than 48 continual rain-free hours in over 2 weeks!

Good news -- I drove to Mississippi yesterday to help our son bring back his stuff from college. He was going to bring the big stuff home a few weekends ago but ended up not coming because of a huge project, which meant he had more stuff than he could bring home in his car. I enjoyed the peaceful drive down there and a night in a hotel (last night) instead of the camper.

Now, for the not-so-good news -- my husband has Lyme Disease!! He kept saying he had the flu, I kept saying it was Lyme Disease, and he finally said he thought he needed to see a doctor. He was miserable for awhile there, but the medication kicked in and now he's doing much better. He returned to work (night shift this weekend) tonight.

All in all, it's been an interesting adventure. I know I've used that word so many times, but that's exactly what this is. There are times (storms & rain all night & almost no sleep) when I get somewhat "blue", but that doesn't last long. I'm so glad we're doing this, and I know it will all be worth it in the long run.

Gotta go -- my mom needs her computer! I think of you all every day and hope you're all doing well. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  5:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
wow patti- your life has been interesting. Hope your hubby is doing ok. keep us posted every chance you can. we love hearing of your adventures.will send you a pen pal letter this weekend.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  04:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Patti, hang in there! Building a house will test you in so many ways so stay strong and positive, enjoy the ride! I too got Lymes over 5 yrs. ago, not fun at all. Be sure to keep his immune system strong, it never really goes away but hides in the body only to rise as something else, mine is a circulation problem in the veins in my legs, so stay on top of it. The meds given now will weaken his immune system so keep him strong and good luck!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  05:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
It is so great to here from you Patti. Oh boy, does it sound like an adventure! Be sure to keep us posted.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  2:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Patti - so glad you all found out what he had before too much more time had passed. The meds will take care of it, and I hope you all are doing okay. You know, it sounds like you can make the best of any situation you are given. Good for you!!!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  06:05:34 AM  Show Profile
Patti, keep us posted. Things sound so much fun. Hope hubby is ok

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  10:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Thanks for the update Patti! Its always good to hear from you!! Im glad things are going well, and that your husband is doing better! We all think of you too and your adventures! Cant wait to hear more!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  09:58:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm back for a bit! I finally found the county library and dh is at work today, so I'm spending some time here. It's a fairly small library (by city standards), but I wandered around looking, and they have a fantastic selection! They also have over 20 computers for patrons to use -- thank heavens for public libraries!! Things are moving along:

On the farm front -- yesterday was a banner day! After over 10 hours of either being on the phone setting up the appointment or sitting in my car (7.5 hours) at the end of our road waiting for the phone man (I couldn't leave to use the restroom or anything, and at my age that was no fun!), I have a phone!! Being from town, I have always taken having a phone for granted, but since April 27 I've been without one. Our cell phones don't work where the camper is, & we have to drive out to the road to make a call. Not anymore! I'm so happy!!

My husband, father-in-law, and my son (home this past Friday from college) went fishing yesterday while I waited for the phone guy. I'm so glad they got to spend the day together and that dh got a day away from working almost non-stop -- either at his job or on the land. He needed this! Anyway, they had a great time together, which makes me really happy. When dh got back, we built a pen and house for the chickens and ducks. They are ready to be out of the large tub thing they're in, but still need protection from predators, of course, and dh did a great job (with minimal help from me, I'll admit!). The house is only temporary. DH and they guy I bought the chickens from told me that once the chicks are full grown, they'll just roam around the yard and then roost in trees at night, safe from most predators. I didn't realize Guineas didn't go in a chicken house -- I learn something new every day. DH is building an "island" to float out in the middle of one of our ponds for the ducks to get away from predators. He's going to connect it with a rope to the shore so he can pull it in if he needs to do something (what, I don't know -- I'm new to duck-ownership :)).

On the job front -- my hearing before the school board is Monday night at 7:00. I'm trying so hard to put this in God's hands and not worry about it, but I'll be totally honest -- it's been a struggle. I don't know what we'll do financially if I don't get my job back. Those of you who are inclined, I'd really appreciate your prayers, expecially Monday evening.

I'm sorry to ramble on & on, but I do have one more very important thing to say. Those of you who said this is hard to do were right. Nothing is "easy", at least not in the way it's easy when you live in town in a house. I'm amazed at how almost every task requires so much more effort when you're living in a camper in the middle of mud in the middle of a scarcely-populated county. BUT I have to tell you that it's worth it. Yes, I'm sleeping on the "table/bed" and cannot stretch out, and I get a couple of ticks a day (at least), and the mud is everywhere, but I'm learning a new appreciation for so many things I've always taken for granted -- running water, electricity, flush toilets (the flush mechanism on the camper is broke so we pour water in while we flush), phone service, etc., etc. I'm learning so much, not only about things about gardening, animals, etc., but about what's really important. This truly is an adventure!!

Thanks for hanging in through my long rambling. I miss "talking" to you ladies! Bless you all!

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  10:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Patti,

Saying prayers about your job situation and the school board meeting. I hope it goes well. Try to stay calm, even though it isn't easy. What an adventure you're having. It sounds so hard but so rewarding. Keep us posted.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Patti,
Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Are you keeping a journal?
Keep us posted and all the best with everything. :)

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  08:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
I hope the meeting goes well Patti!! Cant wait to hear from you!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Patti,

I will be keeping you and the school board meeting/hearing in prayers today. Keep the faith, dear friend, unbeknownst to anyone but God in heaven, the path has already been planned and He has gone ahead to prepare the way for you, whatever it may be. And He is working in you to be prepared for the outcome. It will be for you and your household's good and to His glory whatever it may be.

As for the job thing, just like the adventure you are experiencing now, (which BTW, sounds very hard, but truly wonderful) if it doesn't work out, you will either find one that's even better or find a very resourceful side of you that you never knew you had either. Just like with the farm, you knew it was going to be an adventure and work, but you had no way of imagining just exactly what it would entail. If the teaching thing doesn't come through, then you will - with something. Look at every successful entrepeneur(sp?), it ususally starts as an experiment or because the situation called for it. Think about a plan B, with a product or service that you can do to for income. YOu are a writer, a teacher, a crafter, a farmgirl; it may not be easy to start at first, but the rewards will be well worth it - just like the farm. You've said before you wished there was a way you could stay at home and still have an income, this is your springboard to start thinking in that direction if it doesn't turn out the way you hope. I know ultimately you want to keep your teaching position and I pray that will be so for you, however, it the powers that be, think different then that means you will have to think different, too. Just be prepared and you can be no better prepared then by wrapping yourself and this situation in prayer.

I think that can be said for almost everyone here, we will send our thoughts and prayers your way for strengtgh, courage, acceptance and peace in your heart.

Take care, Farmgirl Friend, I'll be in touch a bit more later. I've been totally wrapped up in wedding details (it's almost here, June 10th) and the new baby, so I apologize for lack of responses for the last month or two. Hugs and prayers for you!

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  1:36:39 PM  Show Profile
My lawyer called me this past Friday and told me the hearing has been moved to May 30. It seems one of the district's witnesses could not be there tonight. On one hand, that's fine with me because I really dread the hearing, but on the other hand I hate having this hanging over my head. Also, today is my birthday, and I really wasn't looking forward to spending my birthday that way!

I'm at my mom's again this evening because dh is working nights tonight & tomorrow. I'll try to check in again tomorrow, but she has very quirky internet service (dial-up) -- sometimes you can't get on for a day or 2 at a time and sometimes there's no problem.

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  1:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIZ PATTII!

I will send many prayers to you on the 30th.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  2:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Patti!

I know what you mean, even though you're dreading it, it would've been nice to have it over with. Hang in there.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  04:48:13 AM  Show Profile
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FARMGIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hang in there, one day you'll look back and wonder how you ever did it, and smile knowing you did and became stronger because of it!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  05:38:50 AM  Show Profile
So good to read your updates. Thanks for keeping us posted about your transition to real farmgirl. You are doing great.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  12:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Happy Belated birthday, Patti,

I'm glad you mentioned it. Well, despite the events of the day and such, it's still a special day because it was chosen just for you by God. Not arbitrarily doled out, but hand picked. God-willing next year it will be a whole different story and you can catch up on your celebrations by having an extra big party in your new house on your new farm with all your new adventures and new lifestyle. STart planning now, girl, we're all going to join you!

Hang in there and know that you are being thought about with much love and prayers.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Quick update while I'm in town & have computer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page