Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Shout out to all Eastern Iowa Farmgirls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Shout out to all Eastern Iowa Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 4

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  4:06:51 PM  Show Profile
Back from vacation and looking forward to the 17th. Hope the sun is shining.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  07:39:24 AM  Show Profile
It is midweek. Sounds like it could be a bit "toasty" on Saturday. Guess that just means more "iced tea" breaks,huh ??? Hmmm...where to go first ? Probably best to do coffee/rolls then head out to Central Discount/Stringtown/Cheese Factory/Sisters Garden/Rug Cottage/Barntiques. Come back to town for lunch and hit the shops in town to finish off the day ? Make sure you have plenty of trunk space,ladies. I am SO excited to share this with all of you !!!! And wondering where we could possibly meet in the fall for our next gathering of the Eastern Iowa Farmgirl Connection ? ;)
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile
It is hot here in Iowa today! looking forward to sat the 17th at 9:00 at the bakery to meet you all and get acquainted. I would suggest amana as a neat place to meet in the fall. Or there is the fall festival in Kalona in Sept. That is neat.

Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:28:59 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so tomorrow is the BIG day!!! Reading back through all of the posts, it has been such a great journey so far. How amazing to see the generousity of spirit,the "give & take", the consideration in pulling this all together. What a fun day. I also noticed that there has been a lot of "reader"interest in this day trip adventure of we Eatern Iowa farmgirls ( & some Western Iowa farmgirls & out-of state farmgirls,too,right, Lin & Wende ?? )
It will be fun to share our travel diary with everyone else and maybe a few pics as well here at the Farmgirl Connection. The thing I am looking forward to the most is sharing a wonderful day with people from literally my own backyard.I am already imaging lively discussions centering around subjects near & dear to our Iowa farmgirl hearts...the State Fair,our gardens,other historic/fun places in "our neck of the fields"for future day trips, and ,of course,every Iowans most reliable topic... the WEATHER !!! My Grandpa always said," If the conversation lags,just look out the front door or window and start talking ! " I don't think there will be any lack of that at The Kalona Bakery around 9AM on July 17th !!!
See you all in the morning. I think we all have one anothers phone numbers so just give a "shout-out" if you need rescuing en route. Isn't the "shout-out" how this all got started anyway? ;)
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  07:37:33 AM  Show Profile
The only phone number I didn't get was Elizabeth's. Everyone elses was on the email I sent out! See you tomorrow!!!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  5:57:24 PM  Show Profile
I just listened to the news and it is going to be HOT tomorrow but that is typical for Iowa in July. I am so excited to meet everybody and am looking forward to a wonderful day of getting acquainted. Safe trip everyone!

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  04:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Today is the day!!!!

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  3:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Has everyone made it home??? We had a great day didn't we. It was so great to finally meet everyone except poor Lin-pictures will be posted Lin!! We missed you. I will privately email all snail mail addresses. Let's plan something for the fall!

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  3:46:57 PM  Show Profile

Here we are: One picture has all five of us & the other Rachel took the picture.
Karla, Rachel, Rochelle, Marlene & Elizabeth. What fun!

Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  3:55:56 PM  Show Profile
I am definitely "in the house" and holding my head over the AC !!!! What a FUN day and my pictures all turned out great. Thanks,Karla, for our "commerative" bookmarks and the sweet little crocheted flowers. Awesome. Driving home, it was pleasure just to think back over the whole day. Isn't it amazing how total strangers could meet,eat, & shop till they had sweat dripping off of their brows? ;) (Photos don't lie,girls, we all had more than a little bit of "glow & glisten" aura to us..especially after Central Discount & Stringtown)
I espcailly loved lunchtime to chat about our lives & do that thing we farmgirls do best : share from the heart on about any topic that was thrown out there.
Thank you all for making this such a special day. I am REALLY glad that you suggested the "shout-out",Elizabeth. It was a complete success !!!
Hugs to Marlene,Elizabeth,Rachel,Karla...you are all quite simply fabulous !!!!

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference." - Wanda Urbanska

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile
Email me your pictures & I will get them added on here! I also started a keeping in touch so maybe it might make it to the magazine! Who know! What fun!

Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  4:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!! Love the pics Karla. The sweet little yellow cottage like building is The RUg COttage about5-6 miles north of Kalona on Highway #1. ( Heading towards Iowa City for any other Iowa fasrmgirls.) A super neat shop with beautiful rugs for about any tast form country/ethnic/modern. And great no-sugar jams/jellies along with veggie spreads all Iowa produced. Next to it, Barntiques...creatively decorated antique barn with all wares displayed as if you were looking into rooms in someones home...lovely. And it has a charming little gazebo located on the side of the buildings which has one of the best vistas for viewing.
Imagine our surprised looks upon leaving the antique shop and seeing not one,not two,but THREE vintage teardrop "glampers" sitting behind it. They were arranged sort of "wagon train" style around some equally vintage metal lawn chairs. Oh,my, we really felt the Farmgirl connection then !!!
The second photo is at Sisters Garden also on Highway #1. A fun "shabby chic" style shopping experience. Marlene & I have both been there previously but it had certainly changed. If there was any way to take just about anything vintage junkie, or kitschy, and make it look fun it was certainly there. ( And we all walked out of there with probably more ideas for decorating than we can possibly use in a year !!) I took a picture of a frame with a cute saying in it that read "We are quirky funky vintage sisters"...Amen to that !!! Hope to get that up here,too.
Sorry we missed anyone else who could not come along but hope these photos will inspire you to join all of us Eastern Iowa Farmgirls in the fall !!!
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  6:22:47 PM  Show Profile
It was a wonderful day! The only complaint I can even think about was that the air conditioning in the van (which we just had fixed two weeks ago!) stopped working. On such a hot and humid day! lol

All you farmgirls are just wonderful and it was such a blast to meet "strangers" and connect on so many levels! I now have three new friends and hope to see you all soon! I can't wait for a fall gathering!!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  7:16:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh girls, thank you for pictures!!! You're all beautiful and what a wonderful day you all had!! I thought about you all day, so wishing I could have been there with you! Elizabeth, I can't believe your stupid air conditioner didn't work after you just got it fixed!!! I look at that picture and feel like I've known you all for years!!! Rochelle, thank you for the "run-down"....3 Glampers???!!! Whoa....quite a welcoming party!!! :) Awesome, awesome day!! WooHoo!! I'm so happy you all created such happy memories!!! Hugs and smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Sorry you missed the day,Lin & Wende,but definitely think about it for the fall. I may try to send everyone a packet with our Muscatine tourist stuff.. we have plenty of unique "freebies" and some great shops,too !!! Elizabeth,thought of you and the kiddos with all of that. Karla, we have 2 amazing shops here:one is The Cotton Shop (for quilting/sewing) that actually has been featured and ships nationally. The second is The Crazy Girl Yarn Shop...fun !!!
We have a beautifully restored fully working grist mill that is 150 years old( it really looks a LOT like MaryJanes in the June/July issue of the magazine) that offers tours through the fall (FREE). A 100 year old Edwardian mansion,the Musser Museum, that also houses our Art Gallery along with fabulously decorated rooms in complete period style (FREE). The Muscatine Pearl Button and Industry Museum which has lots of interactive displays that are adult/kid friendly. (FREE) The newly completed Zoo Garden in our most beautiful public park combining wonderful floral offerings along with audio boxes at various locations explaining the various gardens (it follows the "footprint" of the zoo which used to occupy that space). It's lovely and ,yes,FREE !!! Our riverfornt has recently been upgraded with fountains,statuary, and they do carriage rides for a minimal fee on the weekends. Many of our downtown shops are in a restored historic district and there is a tea room,too.
Hmmm...maybe I should go to work for the Chamber of Commerce or Muscatine Tourism Board ?! However, I equally love the Cedar Rapids area,Marlene. Adore the Northeastern part of the state, Elizabeth. Find Pella fascinating, Karla. Wow, maybe I could convince each of you to explore what's in "your own backyards" for the rest of us ??!! Nudge,nudge,wink,wink :)
I'm on vacation ( working here at the old homestead on much needed projects) so I will look forward to seeing what you alll have to offer...should we start a new topic ?! LOL

Blessings to all of my new farmgirl sisters,
Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make difference." - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  3:37:28 PM  Show Profile
I'll look around the area and see what I can come up with for an idea in the area for a future farmgirl gathering. Around here the "fun stuff" seems to be so few and far between though, that it may involve a lot of driving. Will get back about that!

I am so thankful that you mentioned those cute little ice cream sandwich cookies at the bulk food store, Rochelle. I made ice cream sandwiches today for the older kids and made a little sundae with the bear sprinkles that I bought for the youngest (yes, I finally decided on which type of sprinkles after much debate!). They had such fun and it was a nice cool treat!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  7:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Awesome,Elizabeth. I'll bet the kids were surprised that Mama could make "homemade" ice cream sandwiches that were yummy,too. I may just have to pick up those pig & cow sprinkles for my little nephews & nieces. the next time I hit Stringtown with my sister..they were so much fun to look at. I think Marlene got the butterflies for her grandchildren.
Wonder how yogurt would work on those ?? Maybe "pre-freeze" the yogurt slightly to firm it up before filling the sandwich ??? It would be worth a try !!!
Hey,keep looking around for some stuff to do. My husbnad and I took a little detour north after church on Sunday to find the approximate location for the farm wedding we are attending next week. I would even just love the drive up your way..it's so beautiful and rolling !!! Picture postcard perfect Iowa in my book.

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference ." - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  10:04:46 AM  Show Profile
In my area I would suggest the Amana colonies. There is a web site
www.AmanaColonies.com Most things are in Main Amana and you can walk from one thing to the other. There is a bakery and cafe, coffee and tea com., many winerys, a meat shop, Chocolate haus - a dessert and cpffee cafe, a quilt shop. Many neat places to visit.

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  12:53:52 PM  Show Profile
Marlene-
I think the Amana Colonies would be awesome! I was there once when I was 10 on a field trip and would love to revisit there!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  9:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Love the Amanas and all of that great German food,too. It would be absolutely gorgeous in the fall. Aren't we blessed to live in such a beautiful state ?

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference." - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  09:02:54 AM  Show Profile
It is 2011 & I was wondering if anyone wants to get together this summer! I spoke with Rochelle & we were thinking we would go up Elizabeth's way so she doesn't have to travel! June is probably pretty busy with graduations & weddings so maybe we can look at July or August! Let me know what you think!!

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  6:43:15 PM  Show Profile
I think Amana Colonies would be fun any time.

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  07:32:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot about that direction! Yes that would be neat!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Shout out to all Eastern Iowa Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page