Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Shout out to all Eastern Iowa Farmgirls
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Shout out to all Eastern Iowa Farmgirls Next Topic
Page: of 4

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  9:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Here's a little shoutout to all of you Eastern Iowa farmgirls. I met Elizabeth (another E. Ia farmgirl)while she has been updating us on her forum topic of living on $1200 a month. We were wondering if there would be enough interest to do a little farmgirl get-together. Would love to hear from all of you between gardening,county fair prep,home projects and our recent round of over soaking rainstorms with the occasional tornado siren blaring away !! :)

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference." - Wanda Urbanska

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  08:02:44 AM  Show Profile
YES!!!!! I live in Toledo, but have no kids, so am pretty free. (Especially during the summer, except for the garden, games, etc.) I would love to make contact with other farmgirls in Iowa. Great Idea!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  6:46:11 PM  Show Profile
And of course there is me. So that makes three! :)
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  9:17:53 PM  Show Profile
And I live in Sioux City Iowa!!! So that's four!!! Hugs, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  8:20:15 PM  Show Profile
I would love to meet other eastern iowa farm girls. I live near
Ia Cty and Cedar Rapids.

Happiness is having
farmgirl friends.
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  06:56:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so now there are 5 of us !!! Wow, that sort of sounded like a Lord Of The Rings quote,didn't it? Joy, my cousins wife & a really good friend of ours are from the Toledo area so you're not too far. Wow,Lin, it would be awesome if you would be willing to drive to our part of the state for a get-together!!! Thanks, Elizabeth, for suggesting the shout-out...I'm pretty excited now about getting us all together. I'll begin looking at some options and you all do the same. What a great place for us from the Hawkeye State to meet. I LOVE this Farmgirl COnnection !!!!
I have an MHS class reunion meeting this weekend,but let me do a little thinking next week. Any ideas,gals ???

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference. " - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  08:14:07 AM  Show Profile
No make that 5! I live by Pella. Kalona would be fun! Amish community & all!Just a thought!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  09:04:37 AM  Show Profile
I know I'm Northwestern, but it seems workable, depending on when it is. I think close to the Amish community sounds great, Karla! Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile
I've always wanted to head to Kalona. If it worked out right, my family could plan a little vacation around the trip.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  4:22:03 PM  Show Profile
I go to Kalona all of the time to buy groceries at Central Discount...a greatly reduced "bent & dent" grocery store(I can get 1# bags of Starbucks coffee beans for $4 & my Bausch & Lombe contact solution for $1!) run by the Amish folks. Also, a great market run by a sweet little Amish farmgirl up the road,too. Cheese Factory about 1/2 mile from Central Discount complete with a viewing window for the kiddies. Sisters Garden, The Rug Cottage all on Hiway 1 just about 2-3 miles from those places. This isn't even counting what is in Kalona itself...mususem,quilt shops,etc. My grandpa used to go to the sale/auction barn for his livestock there. It is still open with a viewing ring and a restaurant up above the viewing arena.
My sister and I usually go off the beaten path and travel right through the heart of the country where most of the "traffic" is buggy/horse-driven. The Amish are very friendly and wave their arms off at us. And it is fun to see the kids walking to school barefoot with their metal lunch pails. I guess since we take a "back " way in they figure we aren't tourists,which is right. AND I know of a couple of good places to eat,of course ! Sounds like we may have our gathering place,ladies !!!!
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  6:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow Rochelle I go to central discount too. That really saves a lot of money. You are right, Kalona has many neat stores and things to visit. We go there about once a month to shop. I would love to meet there. I am going to be gone on vacation to about the first part of July. If anyone is into bluegrass there is a festival on July 9-11. The Tuscan moon is a neat restaurant. The Fall Festival is really neat but that is not until Sept. It would be very exciting to meet some other Farmgirls and Kalona is a neat place to visit. The Sisters place is very unique.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  6:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Stringtown-don't forget Stringtown-great spices & stuff!

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  8:15:56 PM  Show Profile
I am retired so can go any day but imagine most would prefer a Friday or Saturday. Some suggested dates might be July 17,24,31 or any sat in August or Sept. There is a nice campground in Kalona and also one at Windmill Ridge if anyone is interested. There is also a nice one off the oxford exit of I-80.

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  06:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Retired...............that has a nice ring to it!!! For me it would have to mean I am just re-tired from yesterday. Tired all over again. I think you are so lucky to be retired!!!

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  3:34:53 PM  Show Profile
It is only recent so still getting used to it. My husband and I both have parttime jobs to keep busy. Am so excited to be in contact with some other Iowa farmgirls. I don't think there are many of us on the forum.

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  08:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Have we decided on a meeting time & place? We could go more central & go to the Amanas or Living History Farms??? Where is it that everyone is coming from? I am by Pella. Elizabeth you are in Manchester, right? Lin is Sioux City? Marlene is Swisher. Rochelle is Muscatine. Joy is Toledo. It seems as most of you are in the East.....maybe the Amanas or Kalona would be best??? What are your thoughts?? Let's not let this get away from us! You could all come to my house if you like!!!

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile
the amanas have a lot of shops and good places to eat and there
is a camping area and motels nearby. We could meet at the Little Amana exit off I 80 and go from there to Amana or kalona.
I have family coming the last week of July but am free otherwise.
I live between IA Cty and CR and we could meet at my house and go from there. I don't have room for people to stay but there is a campground near me and a motel in north liberty or CR. I live close to an I80 exit.

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:12:23 AM  Show Profile
How does Saturday the 17th of July look for anyone?

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile
there are several motels and wasserbaum a small waterpark at the little amana exit of I80. It is also close to Kalona and Amana.
there is a nice little campground at the oxford exit of I80. any other thoughts. Are you in Pella or rural.I am not sure what we want to do? do we want to tour somewhere or just get together and visit?

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:20:30 AM  Show Profile
That is open for me.

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I am 5 miles south of Pella in the country. Let's set the date first & then decide where? Does that sound ok?
July 17-
Karla-ok
Marlene-ok

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:40:06 AM  Show Profile
ok

Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  1:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Sorry I haven't been on for awhile girls. I've been busy helping with planning a class reunion from MHS. July would probably be better for many of us, I'm sure. I still like the idea of getting together at Kalona. I was just in Amana about two weeks ago and it is pretty full of tourists right now...Fall might be a little better for another get-together there. ;)
How does Saturday July 17th sound to everyone ? We could meet in Kalona at the Bakery in the morning and take it from there. Hit all of the shops ,etc. in town and then caravan out to Central Discount/Stringtown/Cheese Factory/Rug Cottage/SIsters Garden/Country Store and end up back in Kalona for a meal. Let's just do this and really have fun with our newly birthed Iowa Farmgirl group...ohh,I'm excited now !!!Let's try to firm this up ladies so it just doesn't fade off like a fluffy cloud. Speaking of which....
Have all of the rest of you had the rain alternating with the tornando warnings on nearly a daily basis like we have here ? Phew... I FINALLY got the last of some my flowers planted and hope they don't drown.
Marlene & Karla, a big thanks for keeping things moving while I have been busy. And to Elizabeth, I really hope things can work out so you can join us !!! I will be heading more up your way in the Fall a couple of times so maybe we could meet then,too, for a coffee or tea ??
And to Lin out Sioux City way hope you can join us ! Joy,too !!! Am I forgetting anyone ? Hope not and also hope July 17th will work out. I know our county fair is close to that date but won't be a problem for me.
OK, SO now I'll wait to hear from all of you. Can anyone give me the skinny on sharing emails so we might try putting out a little more that way ? Thanks !!!
I also thought it would be fun to bring a recipe to swap or maybe a photo of our yards/gardens on that day. And DO NOT forget your cameras to record this "historic" event. LOL

Much love to all of the Iowa Farmgirl sisters !!!

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference." - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  3:57:38 PM  Show Profile
which bakery-the one downtown?

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1836 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1836 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  4:00:57 PM  Show Profile
what are the hours for central discount? I would hit that in the morning as there are a lot of people who shop there on saturday and things go fast.

Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  06:47:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes I am sure she means the one downtown. I am all for Kalona also. Will that work for you Lin?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Shout out to all Eastern Iowa Farmgirls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page