TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  3:14:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm painting and decorating my little half-bath off our master bedroom and need to keep things as inexpensive as possible... and came up with the funnest idea last night!

I love empty seed packets, and often use them as bookmarks. Well I'm using lavender walls with sage green trim, and the lightswitch cover is old and discolored... so I thought, why not try decoupaging a pretty Lavender seed packet over the plastic cover?? It fits perfectly! Fun, huh?!

~TJ

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  3:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great! That's farmgirl creativity all right. I've seen old seed packages decoupaged on boxes and things, maybe you could add other touches.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  3:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great idea TJ Very cute!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile
Oooh, I like the idea of decoupaging onto other things in the bathroom too, maybe make a tissue box cover and stuff? With our limited months of gardening here in Montana, it would be a neat way to extend the bliss of lavender season...

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  6:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Very cute idea!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  07:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Thats cool. I found some fabric at the thrift store and made kitchen curtains with it. The print is gardening tools,seed packets and vegies all randomly arranged on a bright yellow background. Its not really curtain material but I love it.
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2010 :  11:50:43 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like the neatest fabric!! We just went by the fabric store on our way home from church (DH was off hiking so we could work in the "chick" stop - grin) and I couldn't find anything with seed packets/gardening/at all on it... weird! I did find a neat cream with little tiny lavender flowers on it though, which I think will look so cool!! I love fabric. I could get weird about fabric!!! (grin)

~TJ

Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  1:26:55 PM  Show Profile
That is such a great idea! I have a whole stack of seed packets from this year's garden that I couldn't bear to part with, now I have an idea for at least a few of them.
Thanks!
Blessings,
Catherine

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  3:02:50 PM  Show Profile
What is everyone's favorite brand of seed, as far as packets go?? My mom had a Renee's Garden packet that was really neat... I ended up just buying a Plantatian's Products packet (blue columbine) because I couldn't find Renee's here locally, although I know I've seen them before. I've even seen batches of empty packets on Ebay!! There should be ALOT of things to do with them, wouldn't you think?? Not that the things are necessarily leaping into my mind, but still...

I do like using them for bookmarks!

~TJ

Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  09:42:48 AM  Show Profile
What a cute idea!

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  11:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas, you know seed packets would make a cute border as well, pasted onto the walls. You could find some free antique seed packet prints online and print them out and use them too. We did this back about 15 years ago but with veggie can labels in the kitchen. It turned out really cute, and it was great because we were so poor. Farmers almanac covers are so neat too, I always think I should do something with those.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Jul 01 2010 11:49:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  12:32:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh how fun, what a great idea to do veggie can labels in the kitchen!! I've been using my big veggie cans lately to plant succulents in and hang from my garden fence... punch a couple of drainage holes and there ya go. Of course they have to be hand-watered but they're really cute out there!!

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  6:39:09 PM  Show Profile
TJ that is such a cute idea, I can imagine a cute display of herbs in some of the large tomato cans....Im stealing THAT idea!

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
Go to Top of Page

shelbyc
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

shannon
murdale british columbia
Canada
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  3:09:12 PM  Show Profile
I love the idea of vegetable can lables in the kitchen! Quite a few years back, I did vegetable seed packages in the kitchen, and flower in my bedroom. I think I brushed a thin coat of Mod Pog on them too.
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile
An update on my veggie cans-as-planters in the garden... a nice summer storm this weekend ripped the labels off! Of course I hadn't done any type of covering on them, so I rather expected it. Is there an outdoor Mod Podge??

Clean food cans make great containers, don't they?? They have those plastic cat-food covers that fit over some of them too, to make it enclosed. If you can smooth down the can-opener edge, they're really handy as pencil/pen/crayon cups!

~TJ

~TJ of Green Willow House
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  9:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Awesome idea and I bet it's the perfect size too! No outdoor ModPodge, but, Mod Podge it several times with glossy Mod Podge. Then spray it with Krylong Acrylic spray. If you don't want a glossy finish, use satin or matt Krylon.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  3:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Cute idea. I'd love to see a picture.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile
For outside use, you can seal with clear polyurethane.
I used this on terracotta pots that I painted with
those little acrylic paints, sealed them inside and
on the outside over the painting. Works great!

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Decorating for Gardeners Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page