knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  1:22:33 PM  Show Profile
I own a book called More With Less. It is a cookbook about how to eat and live life simply. This is a religious based cookbook. I am personally not of the same faith, but this book makes me smile every time I open it. There are so many recipes that consist of things most all of us have in our pantry. I thought I would share. If you are looking for a new cookbook, you should check this out. Take care all!

~Ashley

"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  10:27:06 AM  Show Profile
Yum - the first bread recipe in More With Less, Honey Whole Wheat Bread, is great! When we were at the Farmer's Market last week, my 6-year old daughter volunteered the info that, "Mommy's bread is better than store-bought," to an adult friend, without any provocation. Gotta love that! A friend of mine found the first edition ('76) of this cookbook at our local Literacy Council booksale. I borrowed it, and had it so long I finally just ordered the 25th anniversary edition from Amazon. I love it, and I'm not Mennonite either! :)

Happy cooking!
Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  2:44:13 PM  Show Profile
I have the spiral bound version. I have had it for many years. I love a lot of the recipes. I also have the other book she wrote. Living More With Less. Although I am not Mennonite either She makes some really good points about how life should be lived. If you ever come across Living More With Less it is worth a look.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  3:03:55 PM  Show Profile
I did not even know about Living More With Less! I now know of another great book purchase!

Melissa: You must have been very flattered to have a child tell a stranger how yummy your bread is....I know that I would be! Gotta love those kiddos:)

~Ashley

"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  8:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Jeanna - I will look for that one, too!

Ashley - Don't I know it! I can rarely get either of my kids to eat what I cook (they live on air, cereal and apples, I think), so when they love something and ask for more, I'm pretty stoked. When they spontaneously compliment me to strangers, I'm over the moon. :-)

Melissa

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  06:13:37 AM  Show Profile
There are actually three in this "series". More with less, Simply in Season, and Extending the Table. They are all full of stories and I reccomend each of them! Simply in season is pretty much what is says. It goes through each season and has recipes for the fruit and produce that are in that season. Extending the table has simple but delicious recipes from all over the world and stories from people that have visited these places. If you can try to buy all three they are great. There is also a simply in season for children, but I have not purchased this one yet.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  08:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Now I'm drooling for new books! This is one are that I do not have much self control. Send me to a used bookstore and I'm in trouble...lol

~Ashley

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic More With Less... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page