Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Animal,Veg,Miracle book--other thoughts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Veg,Miracle book--other thoughts Next Topic  

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  6:07:32 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't in on the book discussion, just got the book yesterday and I hope it gets better. So far, I think it's a bit over the top. The author is denying her children fruit because they aren't locally grown????? Doesn't seem healthy to me to exclude fruit because of this. I kept thinking--so does this mean they will never eat a pineapple, banana or orange again because it isn't grown locally? I understand the concept of eating locally grown food, but so far it just seems a bit too "out there" for me.

Hug a horse or a dog today!

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  8:37:16 PM  Show Profile
I can see thinking that, it's a reasonable reaction! But keep reading because I think she does a good job of showing that her family does not go without, just because they may go without what Americans have falsely learned to live with. By that I mean that you have to remember that only a short time ago, these things weren't available except locally, except for the very rich and powerful. Most folk didn't go far from home, maybe not 20 miles to the next village until relatively recently in human history. And they probably ate better for it! The family eats fruit, but when it is in season and at the height of quality and taste. It's hard because we have been conditioned to think otherwise, but what they did actually goes back to the real ways humans have usually eaten. It's how we eat now that's so unnatural and unhealthy.

And we all have our demands and expectations....I thought it gross that they didn't eliminate coffee, that it wasn't even a consideration LOL. I HATE coffee!!! But I wouldn't eliminate tea or pineapple, so there you go. They kept "silk road" spices too I think. And while it greatly changed their overall eating habits, they did loosen up some after that one year timetable.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  07:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I'm sorry, I didn't get past the first chapter or so because I got sick of asparagus. I agree with knowing where your stuff comes from. Here in Texas, you have to be very careful not to get fruit from Mexico. But isn't there a point where it gets crazy?? If I want a pineapple grown in HI, I will buy one.

I want to buy local and do as much as possible. It isn't always possible. I hate pineapples in the can.

As long as we know where stuff comes from, don't we as Mom's have enough other stuff to think about??

I don't have the time or the energy to waste worrying about every little detail of everything. I am careful but kids do get exposed to stuff at school, other people's home, and life. If they don't, they will be very weak and sick later.

This is my opinion.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  08:06:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm about 8 chapters in right now. I think the point of all this is also about the transportation costs. As a nation we are freaking out right now about the oil spill in the gulf and all that wasted oil that could be turned to fuel for our transportation needs and the potential of increasing gas prices. If we cut out those long hauls and ate more local then that would help stretch our supply. I find it an interesting book. I love asparagus right now, but as she said, they got tired of it about the time it stopped growing so that worked out. If anything happened to our infrastructure could you get enough to eat locally?

As for the fruit issue, I think that would resolve itself as they started freezing and canning more. We are rather brainwashed into what we should have according to USDA. I don't want to be buying fruit from New Zealand because I know that farmer isn't getting penny's on the dollar. Why give it to the corporations? I'm reading another book that turns what we think we know even more on its head. That's another thread.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile
I can also appreciate the concerns with using gas to transport things, via big trucks, but I think the reality of living here is that some people wouldn't have food if it wasn't trucked in from somewhere else. Funny thing was I saw a program recently that showed people in Hawaii, where alot of pineapples are grown, pay $15 for one pineapple, yet it gets shipped here and we pay $3 or $4. Go figure. We live in a gas guzzling society and the reality is MOST Americans aren't willing to change their lifestyle or be inconvenienced in any way. Sad, but true. So some of us may try in our own ways to cut down on fuel costs by buying locally, but in the end, I wonder if it makes one bit of difference? If I buy a pepper that is grown here rather than being trucked in, does it REALLY make any difference? I don't know. I think for anything really significant to change, it would have to be a major change of attitude and lifestyle in this country and I don't see it happening.

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile
After working the farmer's market I'd say yes, it makes a difference. You are supporting your local community and farmers. If you pay 1.00 for a green pepper in the farmer's market the farmer gets it all. If you pay $1 in the super market the farmer might get .05. That's the scary reality. So sometimes it doesn't feel like we are making a difference, but since I live here I hope I can help those farmers. Cities are tough as all their food is shipped in I agree.

$15 for a pineapple! that's crazy. There is common sense out the window.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  11:18:17 AM  Show Profile
I did read the book--twice. I really liked it but I did wonder why they didn't prepare to start this process. I think having things canned, frozen, etc. in their pantry would have made their food choices easier early in the spring when things are not in season. But it did get the point across better to not have that available at the beginning.

quote:
Originally posted by HorseLady

I can also appreciate the concerns with using gas to transport things, via big trucks, but I think the reality of living here is that some people wouldn't have food if it wasn't trucked in from somewhere else.

We live in a gas guzzling society and the reality is MOST Americans aren't willing to change their lifestyle or be inconvenienced in any way. Sad, but true. So some of us may try in our own ways to cut down on fuel costs by buying locally, but in the end, I wonder if it makes one bit of difference?

I think for anything really significant to change, it would have to be a major change of attitude and lifestyle in this country and I don't see it happening.

My husband and I own a trucking company. Do you have any idea what it costs to fill one of those things with diesel or put tires on it?? Most people don't. We, as a society, are so out of touch with the real cost of transportation for goods and services and how much 'oil' is involved in the production and transportation of our food. If we learned to eat more locally and in season we would all be better off. And healthier.

Sadly, I agree with you that it would or will take something major to change the lifestyle and attitude in this country. I think that change might be a radical increase in the price of oil in the future which will effect us all in ways we, unfortunately, can't even imagine. I think that's the real reason that it's so important for as many of us as possible to support local farmers, teach our kids and grandkids how to garden and become as independent as possible. That's what we're doing.

Read the book with an open mind. As far as I'm concerned, the whole book was worth it just for the chapters about the heritage turkeys. Too funny!

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  11:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm too the point where they found the diner that serves local products in Vermont. How wonderful! It takes effort to shop locally as I am now having to look around for more meat products since grains and dairy are off my list for a while(sensitivities).

Even if we don't go to the degree this family did, if we try to shop more local at least during the summer when there are farmer's markets, I think that is a start and helps those farmers.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  5:20:23 PM  Show Profile
I did something today I don't do alot of anymore. And I really feel sick about it. But I did learn alot by observing people. And it made me think of what Rose is saying about attitude and lifestyle and not seeing it happening. I kind of agree with her.

My granddaughter and I were out today. Had to go run some errands and went to the park. She got hungry and wanted to go to McDonalds of all places. She wanted to play at the little play area with the other kids. So we went. Well, as I sat there I got to watching the other people coming and going and noticed that about 90% of them were pretty overweight. And I don't mean just adults. The kids in there were pretty big. There was one little girl probably 8 or 9 that really needed a bra. She was very developed. As was her older sister. And her mom. There were so many people in there too. It really got me to thinking about how I eat and am I making a difference.

My husband drives a truck. He doesn't own one. He wanted to buy one several years back but I talked him out of it. But that's how we exist. He delivers alot of loads to Walmart and other food places. He goes to General Mills and delivers that cereal all over the country. But that's the only job he can really do right now. I have market gardens and try to grow enough to sell and to put up for us and my family. So I can understand how Rose is thinking.

I really like the book and this is my second time reading it. I am enjoying the discussion. I am learning alot here. I will do all I can to eat locally from now on. I have been trying to do that for a long time now anyway. Just have some slip ups every now and then.

Just my 2 cents.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  5:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I loved the book...and recommended it for the book club at my yoga studio. I agree that the heirloom turkey section is hysterical.

I think the message is that we need to take some responsibility for what we choose to purchase and feed our families. I dont think that we need to go to the extremes that this family did but even if people learned to grow a bit of their own food it would help Mother Earth.
My students were so moved by the book that they suggested we tear out an overgrown bed on the side of the building that I rent for the yoga studio and put in a vegetable/herb garden. After getting permission of the landlord, the students transformed the garden into a beautiful community garden for all to benefit. They all contributed organic soil and plants based on what their budget could afford. After class they are out there checking on the plants, watering and weeding. Its a beautiful example of community and teamwork that is just lacking in todays world. I feel so proud to be a part of it.

Hugs
Jenn

www.sundariyoga.com
http://yogifarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://jlogosso.etsy.com

Farmgirl Sister # 285
Sister on the Fly #1002
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  6:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions. It has really given me alot to think about. I'm not sure how to interpret this experience I had today. In walmart, I saw ONE organic pepper cost $1.88. Who can afford that?
The local farm that has a store here charges about $3.99/lb for peppers. Not organic, but they have alot of migrant workers there. Their prices go up every single year. We are coming into strawberry season and I wonder how much it will go up. We splurge on the berries since they have a very short season here, but I can tell you it's hard to pay $5.25 for a scant quart of the berries, and I'm sure it will go up more this year. Their apples went from 99 cents a pound to $1.47 a pound. I want to support them as they are local, but it's cheaper to try to shop sales (very rare we have actual sales at grocery stores in my area). I'm going to try to find some farmer's markets in my area. Haven't had alot of luck with that, but I want to give it a try. I can see where eating seasonal is alot harder than it seems, at least for me.

I would LOVE to have some kind of community garden. My gardening efforts have not been very good and I would love to learn from people who are more successful than I am. We have a good sized plot of land that our church owns that is just sitting. I had been thinking for a few years to ask permission to get a garden started.

Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  8:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Rose

Try this link to see if you can find a co-op or farmers market in your neck of PA.
http://www.buylocalpa.org/

Many people make light work, Im sure if you put it out to the congregation you would be surprised how many people were thinking the same thing. Good luck with it!!

Hugs
Jenn

www.sundariyoga.com
http://yogifarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://jlogosso.etsy.com

Farmgirl Sister # 285
Sister on the Fly #1002
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 29 2010 :  4:29:17 PM  Show Profile
I was struck by the statistic in the early chapters of the book of how many barrels of oil could be saved if every family cooked just one meal from local ingredients a week. If we could just take it one step at a time.....One meal is not that big of a sacrifice.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  05:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Rose,

Great idea about the garden at your church. I hope it works out for you. Also, any chance you could pick strawberries? We have a couple of places around here that are U-pick and much more reasonable then purchasing pre-picked berries.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  07:53:49 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure where in PA you are but I know over the border in MD there is a Upick place my brother always goes to. SOme research into those as Judy suggested might help. I'm shocked at your prices. We can get organic strawberries on sale for 2 to 2.50 for 1 lb. The farmer's market is the best place as they try to remain competitive too though some will overcharge. The boyfriend and I just looked into a beef. At the market the gent was selling for about $6 a pound for a 1/2 beef. Organic, grass raised. BF's cousin, same details, was selling for about $2.50 a pound. Definitely worth looking around.

Good luck

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Rose, I think the most important thing about this discussion is that we all remember what we have in our own lives others might not. It's easy to think, well why can't you buy local? It's another story if you are there. Being on the road as much as I am I always find it facinating how often I can't even find organic produce or any of the organic processed stuff in grocery stores. It's sad that areas of the country have not been able to tap into this resource.

As you mention Walmart, I find their line of "organic", from what I have seen, has a lot to be desired. The thing to remember is the season. If you are looking at the pepper in the midst of winter that pepper came from a long ways. If it was the heart of pepper season (july, August) then that is just wrong. My dehydrator runs non-stop in the summer. Pepper and zucchini rehydrate nicely when tossed into soups in the midst of winter. This is where the book brings up very valid points about seasonal eating. We aren't use to it.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  1:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Farm Sisters...I haven't read this book yet. But read all your discussions and I agree with both sides.
We, like the little boy who threw the starfish back into the Ocean, make a difference one eating
habit change at a time. In the long run...if we grow gardens and eat our own produce and share with others, we
have cut down costs and changed another's life, one vegetable or fruit at a time. If we are all doing
it there is an impact. It starts with just one step at a time and one person making a difference.

But on the flip side of the coin...it I want an occasional mango, papaya, or pineapple etc...I am going
to purchase one.

My philosophy comes from the Bible..."Everything in moderation", not going too far left or too far right.

Blessings,
~Peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jun 08 2010 1:58:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Animal,Veg,Miracle book--other thoughts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page