Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  06:06:24 AM  Show Profile
Judy, the beet wine is made with just the juice and a little pulp. The recipee I used was for 1 gallon but I increased it to a 5 gallon batch. The recipe was in this great book I have called "Making wild Wines and Meads" . The Cranberry Claret is also a winner.

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  3:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Sorry ya'll, I forgot to subscribe to this topic and didn't see the requests for the wine recipe until now! (oops) This one is an amalgamation of several off the internet and the one I use. This recipe does require some basic supplies from a home brewery supply store (or the internet) but we're not talking major bucks here. And when you consider that you end up with homemade, basically organic (depending on your rhubarb etc!) wine that is a beautiful dark pink/light red in less than a year, it's entirely worth it!! I save my wine bottles (Ok they're usually jugs, we're a single income family so I buy the cheap wine!) so that I have them for this. As with canning, you want to be sure to start with sterilized equipment, which is pretty easy if you buy the sterilizing powder stuff from the homebrew supply store.

Rhubarb Wine

Ingredients:
3 pounds rhubarb - chopped up and frozen for at least a few days before starting the wine.
1 pound green (unripe) grapes (this addition isn't critical but it helps alot! If you don't have these you can use about 1/2 cup of white grape concentrate)
6 cups white sugar
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
1 gallon hot water (doesn't have to be boiling)
2 campden tablets (crushed)
wine yeast
Procedure:
1. Place frozen rhubarb and unripe grapes and sugar in the primary fermentation bucket - a 5 gallon food-grade bucket works great, and are available at hardware stores usually (for brining turkeys!)
2. Cover and let stand for 24 hours.
3. NEXT DAY - Add the hot water, and then scoop the fruit into a straining bag and strain it out.
4. Put the liquid back in the primary fermentation bucket and when it is lukewarm add the rest of the ingredients (yeast nutrient, tannin and campden tablets).
5. THIRD DAY - add the yeast now, so the Campden tablets don't kill it (if you added it beforehand it would). Just sprinkle it across the top and let it sit.
6. Cover and leave it to ferment for three or four days.
7. SEVENTH DAY - Siphon the liquid into gallon jugs with fermentation locks (you can use one of those punching balloons for this if you don't have fermentation locks - they're like 4 for $1 at the dollar stores). There will be a fair amount of sediment.
8. When the wine settles a bit (about a month) you will want to rack it. Be sure to top up the bottles with enough water to not leave airspace at top. You can rack again, or go ahead and bottle at about 6 months.

I store my homemade wine in our basement, as the temperature stays fairly consistent down there. Pretty fun!!

~TJ of Green Willow House
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:10:33 PM  Show Profile
so going to try some of these! We have a hearty patch of rhubard in the back garden that grows strong from mid march through november... and none of our neighbors like it! Always looking for new recipe's! thank u

...life is what you make it!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  02:56:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe, TJ. I want to try it next Spring, sounds good!

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Yummy Rhubarb! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page