sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  08:31:08 AM  Show Profile
i went to do chores yesterday am and she was down. i had the vet come. he palpitated her. she has lost the calf and reabsorbed it. so she is open. while he was checking he found her 1 kidney 3 times normal size. he believes that there is a growth obstructing flow of urine from kidney to bladder. she is off food and water. was out on grass this am. have not seen her eat or drink for 24 hours. i am going to kfc for advise also. any thoughts sooo appreciated. right now its not looking good for her sincerely sad sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  09:00:27 AM  Show Profile
I am so very sorry, I hope she does not suffer, I know you will make the right desion, as quickly as possible, hugs to you

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  11:04:05 AM  Show Profile
My heart is breaking for you Sherrye and for Buttercup. I have faith in you that you will handle all with care, loving and grace. Whatever time you have with her will mean the world to you both and just know that you will be in my prayers, thoughts and heart. It is never easy to have to go thru this - that is why each minute with our four legged family members is a gift.

Hugs and Light to you.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  11:22:17 AM  Show Profile
hi teresa and grace. she is up and walking. my question still is.. if he palped 2 months ago and it was not there. maybe i may be able to reverse it if its not cancer. i am feeding rolled comfrey leaves and warm molasses water. i at least have till tues. to try to help her get better. could the kidney have a twist from the moving things around when we first palped her 2 months ago? thanks for the support girls sherrye any ideas helpful

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile
...so sorry Sherrye.
(((HUGS)))

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  1:47:33 PM  Show Profile
So Sorry for Buttercup.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  2:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I'm so sorry. I don't understand what's going on but I hope you can get her better. If not, I know you will do the right thing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  3:24:52 PM  Show Profile
well she did get up and go to the water trough today. she only lapped up water. but she did get water in her. i made a concoction for her kidney. i used dandilion root comfrey root garlic molasses vit b 12 and saw palmetto i also added colostrum from 09. she loved it. took it from the turkey baster. i think its some sort of irritation. but i know little. i am trying anti inflammatory herbs. have not seen her eat. may buy some calf starter for her. what do you all think? sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 30 2010 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye - cow are not an animal I have raised so I would not feel qualified to assist with herbal remedies - I hope someone else can give you advise for Buttercup. How old is buttercup?? Her age would depend on giving her any milk replacement - anyone past the age of nursing will not benefit from milk. Would she take a mash of grains, molasses and apple vinager? That would give her energy to eat maybe some hay - I would suggest not loading her up with too much if she is also not pooping - you could sour her stomachs and then you have big problems. Hope you get some help... I will still be praying for you two.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  05:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Ohh, I hope things work out. Sending high hopes your way.

~Ashley

You get out what you put in, nothing more and nothing less.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  06:51:50 AM  Show Profile
i agree grace, i did give the dandelion comfrey mix. i had gone to kfc and used there stress plan for her. i have not gone down yet today farm girls.i am going to hope that this will clear. live each day i1 at a time. in my heart i know she is probably in real trouble. its so sad when i see a beautiful young animals have this happen. if it is cancer then dang. i believe cancer is caused by the bodies inability to cope with the man made chemicals. first cells have no name, they can be anything. then they get assigned a job. if a nose cell comes in contact with a chemical it gets hurt. its not dead. if it can still replicate it may bond randomly with a finger cell. they join try to reproduce. PROBLEM ..also if a chemical comes into the body and can not be handled by killer cells. the body will take it, store it in fat cells to protect and preserve the body. this causes obesity in people who may not eat that much. if they diet when fat is emulsified for removal it releases the chemical. hence body gets sick trying to lose weight. kfc suggested a scan. if she is doing good tomorrow i might check on cost. she is a fine cow. not a lot of milk but she loves me and i her. thanks for the support. i must say this is difficult. happy days on the farm are a little down sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  5:05:41 PM  Show Profile
oh sherry i am so sorry about all the trouble you are having-i will be thinking of you often. i know how attached i get to my critters-so hard when they are having a hard time

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  8:27:08 PM  Show Profile
thanks girls, she was up and out today. she drank water and ate some hay. still lifting back leg up. some poo. still giving the comfrey dandie tea. tomorrow hoping to draw blood to see if she has kidney failure. thanks for the support. i am attached to her. so hoping for good news sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  10:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Sherry, I am so sorry! Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  01:42:30 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Sherry!
I will be praying and thinking of you both often.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  07:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Sherry sending my prayers to you and Buttercup. Is there anyway they can do a test or ultrasound to figure this out or even bloodwork ? Anyway good luck and hope you figure this all out.

Hugs to you both.
Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  07:33:39 AM  Show Profile
hi farm girls, thanks so much for the support. she is doing ok this am. we drew blood yesterday am. waiting on labs now. they will show if she is in renal failure. if not that kidney that is swollen may die and the other take over. IF its not a cancer tumor. not sure i can come up with the money for a scan. will wait to see what we find in blood. i am sure its more money than i have right now. so we will see later today the verdict on blood. so far no fever, no chunks in urine ph is good no ketones in urine so now we wait. thanks for checking back happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  3:58:05 PM  Show Profile
labs came back. she is not in renal failure. her bun was good her creatine was good. her cbc is good. only needs magnesium.no high white cell count. no infections. so reason for double size normal kidney with scar tissue none. no answer. she is up and grazing lightly. so it may be fixable. a ultrasound scan is $200.00 to $300.00 dollars. so not sure i can swing it yet.we shall see. she is open and came into heat. so sad she lost her baby. wondering if she was never bred. he had a hard time palpitating her. took a long time to think he found a calf. that was her first palpitation 2 months ago. maybe he was wrong and she was not pregnant. so if i do an ultrasound i will also have them look at her uterus and girl stuff. so were are still hopeful. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  5:00:06 PM  Show Profile
so i found a local vet with a ultrasound machine mobile. he is coming tomorrow at 3 to check kidney and uterus. hope we learn something. happy days sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  5:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sherry! I am just now seeing this, I am so sorry! I know you are attached to this cow, so praying there is some good news for you! HUGS!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW:
JUNE 6th 6pm EST "Coop" author Mike Perry!
http://therenegadefarmer.com/
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  06:00:18 AM  Show Profile
vet came. the ball is a cyst. when he checked her her bowel has broke down now and her cervix. so he thinks the cancer has grown all over in her. she was shaking and in pain.we gave her paon meds last night, so we will put her down today. sooo very sad. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  06:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Sherry- I am so sorry that she is going to have to be put down. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  07:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sherrye - my heart is breaking for you and your sweet ButterCup... You are doing the loving and right thing but I know it still just kills us to do that. It is never easy but she is lucky to have such a loving two legged friend. I will keep you both in my prayers and I am hugging you from a distant and wished I could hold your hand thru this - I am so so so sorry....

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  09:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Sherry my tears and hugs are with you. I am so sorry for the both of you.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  2:28:23 PM  Show Profile
i am so sorry about your poor cow. i will be thinking of you often in the days to come. take care my friend much love

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  9:07:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that is sooo heartbreaking. There is never an easy way to let beloved animals go. Many thoughts and prayers for you.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW:
JUNE 6th 6pm EST "Coop" author Mike Perry!
http://therenegadefarmer.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic buttercup- kidney cancer Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page