Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Going Against the Grain Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  08:12:06 AM  Show Profile
I had just started reading Vegetable, animal, miracle when my results came back from a food sensitivity test. I was thinking about where I could get local wheat. The nutritionist recommended reading Going Against the Grain as I have a sensitivity to gluten. Wow. The book gets a bit deep and into a lot I have skimmed over, but when I think back to when I started having trouble (why I sought the nutritionist in the first place) it coincides with my increase in grains and reduction of meat. Like other foods thrust on us, grains were never a big part of our diet when humans evolved and many diseases have been linked to the increase in their usage. I'm still wrapping my head around all the information she presents, but wondered if anyone else had read the book and their thoughts.

Laurie

Best Growing

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2010 :  8:06:39 PM  Show Profile
I think maybe the increase in wheat sensitivities are do more to the wheat monoculture than any other reason. Thoughout history. each society had special grains that only the ate. This kept the grains pure and healthy. Now almost all corn, wheat. etc, are monopolized for power and profit. A good alternative to wheat is quinoa. I'm no expert but I do believe that's the main source of the problem.
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Going Against the Grain Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page