Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 Poison Oak/Ivy....natural remedies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Poison Oak/Ivy....natural remedies Next Topic
Page: of 2

Grammygail
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Gail
Chattanooga Tennessee
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  12:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
Your soaps are wonderful!!!!!! Forgive me for taking so long to get back to you. I have been trying them all out!! I am going to send you an order at a later date, want to use these now. The oatmeal soap really helped with soothing my grandkids bug bites and such. But like I said, they are all fantastic!!
Thanks again,
Farmgirl Sister Gail
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  8:28:16 PM  Show Profile
We use Fels-Naptha laundry soap on poison ivy. driesit up in a matter of a couple of days.

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  02:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
I had a very bad reaction to Poison Ivy when I was a child - missed an entire week of school from it. I have a homemade soap that I made with Calamine lotion for just such problems. I'm going to try and make another batch, but use Calamine lotion and Benedryl added together and see how that works out or if it helps at all. I've also made some "mud" soaps using Dead Sea clay which is supposed to be great for healing problems with the skin. If anyone is interested in these, I could sure send some small samples and let you try them. Just shoot me an email!

Also, my mom had good luck with covering the rash with light bandages. This seemed to clear things up pretty fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

cottagefarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Cathy
Marion NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Calendula oil is a wonderful natural first aid remedy. Wash the area well first though. A health food store owner told me that she read that it heals so quickly that it can heal dirt into wounds. I believe it since I started using it. My husband uses it on fever blisters as well.

Another homeopathic remedy is Rhus Tox (it can be used for poisonous plant rashes or fever blisters). May or may not be exactly right for you but worth a try and safe. I have a well-worn homeopathic first aid book that I use all the time. Hope this all helps.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  6:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Jewel weed grows around creeks and moist places in wooded areas. I've always heard that it is best to use the newest lightest green growth on the plant. It will ooze a clear thick liquid when broken at the stem. I've used it straight from the plant when backpacking. It is very soothing and I think the rash heals faster.
Something else to consider when avoiding getting a rash is our pets. If you have a pet that has contact with the plant they can give it to you. Any solutions for this besides frequent baths for the pets?
Also don't forget your shoes and shoe laces. I like muck boots and the crocs that are solid ( no holes in the toes) or rubber garden shoes cause I can wash them. The crocs can go right in the washer with the clothes.
By the by, poison ivy and ticks are already out here in Middle TN.

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  05:53:24 AM  Show Profile
We use a product by Hylands - homeopathic - that is drops.
Actually keep a bottle in the bathroom and one in the truck so my guy can get started once he leaves the woods. We also keep a bottle of blue dawn dish soap - only time it is used - in the shower to wash off with once we get home. Takes the oils off the skin and hair. Sounds crazy I know but it works for us. Feel better soon.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Poison Oak/Ivy....natural remedies Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page