vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  06:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, it's in the news again. Silicone breast implants are a health hazard.
This was no surprise but got me thinking about the silicone baking pans that have hit the market in the last few years. Do ya think we're safe to be ingesting food baked a high temps in those???

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  09:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Not at all! If the implants aren't safe how could anything else be. I haven't and wouldn't use them ever. Old basics...glass,cast iron and stainless steel! Don't micro in plastic or styrofoam either. Especially bad for young children.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  11:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I was actually wondering about that, too... I'm glad you asked, Michele - I'm eager to learn more! I haven't bought any of the silicone baking items, either. I'm with Darlene - the basics! You're so right farmgirl!!!

I really don't use anything aluminum, though, either - because my grandfather had Parkinson's and at the time his doctor had said aluminum was a concern. They had one aluminum pot, aluminum was in his deodorant and my grandfather ate Rolaids like candy (which at the time contained aluminum - don't think it still does). I don't know how much that contributed to his illness, but his illness was bad enough for me to steer clear of aluminum as much as humanly possible - and that includes aluminum-clad pans, aluminum baking pans, baking powder that contains aluminum, deodorant, etc.

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  03:18:15 AM  Show Profile
I stick with stainless steel, glass, cast iron, and the stones (like pampered chef). I don't think the silicone performs as well either! And really, all those shaped pans, when you use them, are so flimsy! I never liked them.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  04:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
I've bought my silicone muffin pans at thrift stores for a dollar or two apiece and, while I don't cook with them, they make GREAT soap molds especially if you coat the inside with vasoline before you put the soap in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  10:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Ooooo, GREAT idea Susan! Will need to look for them now. Thanks for sharing :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  05:39:40 AM  Show Profile
I saw a video online of a snake that bit a lady with implants-the snake died of silicone poisoning.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile
The silicone that scares me the most is the silicone they add to dry goods-like say taco spice seasoning in a packet, and what have you. It is in there to keep it from clumping they say, but scary! I don't buy the mrs dash etc that has silicone added.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic silicone Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page