JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  7:44:21 PM  Show Profile
I have to share something with you and it's called a "wave". You know where you raise your hand to say hello to someone. My husband and I walk and sometimes we get in the car to walk places or we just walk in our neighborhood. When we first started walking our neighborhood and as cars would pass by us we would wave to them. Some are neighbors who have moved in and we don't know who they are and others are just people passing through. Since we have started waving to people, over time some people have started to wave back.
Tonight we walked our neighborhood and every car that drove past us waved. Some waved before we waved. We just couldn't believe it. It's funny how at first no one would wave and now everyone waves. It's kind of like smiling. You smile at someone and they smile back at you.
We started something here with waving and it really feels good.

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com

Edited by - JudyT on May 26 2010 7:45:15 PM

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  8:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm a waver, a smiler and a hi'r gal!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  8:07:46 PM  Show Profile
I love waving. I think it's the sign of a healthy neighborhood. We always wave here, even if its someone we don't know.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  8:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I definitely wave! I was raised in a town that if you didn't, you were down right unsocial!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  10:49:07 PM  Show Profile
I am a waver from way back.
Everyone in our little town waves!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Like Alee says:

I definitely wave! I was raised in a town that if you didn't, you were down right unsocial!

I wasn't raised in a town like that, but now LIVE in a village like that lol. If I wouldn't wave peeps would think I am "stuck-up" (some think that anyways lol)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on May 27 2010 12:09:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  02:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Everyone here waves! When I first moved here 35 yrs ago, coming from the city you just didn't wave because you didn't know too many of the folks around your neighborhood. When I moved down here, and my DH waved at everyone, I would ask "who's that" he didn't know. Well now as we drive out of our little community, I told DH that I felt like a Homecoming Queen on my float. Now I feel that something is wrong if someone doesn't wave. Love it. And as my mom has gotten older, I see that the waves she gets means alot to her. Like Karrieann said, a wave, smile, hi'y girl is important, and could actually be just the thing someone needs that day!

Hugs and a big WAVE to ya, Brenda

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  03:29:27 AM  Show Profile
Some do in my folk's neighborhood and on the main road to our house it's mostly good 'ole boys in their trucks. I also drive a truck so I'm always willing to give a hidey-ho back
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  04:12:09 AM  Show Profile
Got another "waver" here too!!!!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  05:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I always wave and if in ear shot also say hi. I get a few waves back but not many. I have a lady at the end of the street who came over from Germany as a child (so I've been told) She is always sweeping or raking her driveway and I always wave and she just stares at me. I believe she will wave back this year or next, either way I will always wave to her and all my neighbors.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  05:37:13 AM  Show Profile
You betcha

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  06:26:42 AM  Show Profile
It is considered very rude in the South not to wave! In fact, last night, we were dropping some stuff off at our lakehouse, when a woman in the next door lakehouse came out and was staring at us like we had just stepped off of a UFO, so my husband waved, not once but twice, said 'Hello', and then turned on the truck's domelight just so that she could see that we were not, in fact, aliens, and SHE STILL DIDN'T WAVE. Standing there, just staring at us like we were glowing! He was so mad, he spun his tires tearing out of the driveway, lol!

Oh, and he doesn't like our across the street neighbors because they never, ever wave, which I also consider to be extremely rude. One day, the woman was right in front of our drive, and both of us waving like mad, and she just stared. So....wave back! Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  06:55:10 AM  Show Profile
I need to correct what I said before. I forgot I do have one neighbor that doesn't speak or wave. Just this morning I was opening the window in screen door and she was walking by. Looking right at me and didn't offer to wave. I've gone over and introduced myself and she still does not offer to be friendly. She just walks on by with her nose held high. I too think it is terribly RUDE. I can't imagine someone waving and saying hi and not responding. The rest of the neighbors can see you standing at your door and wave from up the street. I guess if this neighbor wants to live in her little world alone, so be it.

"What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matter compared to what lies within us."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  07:10:44 AM  Show Profile
well here in our neck of the woods we wave. since things are changing here and new folks moving in not so many wave back.used to be that way here now we are looking and acting like a city.kind a sad. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  07:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Most of the folks around here wave (people over 30 anyway. ). My kids (teens) think I'm weird 'cause I strike up simple, random conversations with people at the store or post office or wherever. I tell them the world is becoming a less friendly place because so many folks seem afraid of others. It costs nothing to be pleasant and offer a wave and smile. And it can mean so much to someone. I can only hope they're learning the lessons....

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on May 27 2010 07:34:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile
We unfortunately live in a very snooty neighborhood. If you wave at people here that look at you like you just spit at them. One have on set of neighbors that wave or say hello and they moved here from Scotland about 18 years ago. I use to work with the wife at the school library so we know them and my husband has helped her husband with moving furniture around the house etc. My other neighbors we have never spoken to and in 10 years I have only seen the wife 4 times. I can't wait to get away from here and into my farm house. I wish I had known 16 years ago what I know now. Waving nope stopped doing that about 10 years ago.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  07:42:39 AM  Show Profile
I never understood "non-wavers". Are they really that unhappy that they can't accept a simple act of kindness? I have lived in my home for 11 years. My neighbor across the street looks at me like he cannot be bothered. He'll wave to my husband though. I guess me being a woman and all..just not worth the effort of raising his hand! Oh well, I still continue to wave... In part of -that's just who I am, and part--I just want to annoy him at this point! I even add a big smile!

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  07:51:01 AM  Show Profile

Yes, sometimes adding the "annoying" smile is a Bonus!

Blessings, staci FG# 973
:o )

Joshua 24:15 - ...choose this day whom you will serve,...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Edited by - staci860 on May 27 2010 07:51:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  11:25:53 AM  Show Profile
I have always waved at EVERYONE- something my parents did all the time. After we built our home with Habitat For Humanity, people that helped with it, would drive by, wave, stop in take a look, and I welcome every bit of it. I wave at people I don't know, but I don't want to take the chance that I miss someone and hurt their feelings! It makes me happy!!
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile
I wave now. When I was growing up you only waved at people that you knew. But having moved to the south years ago -- well everyone waves! If you do not wave -- they DO think that something is wrong with you. So here is an internet "wave" to all my farm friends.... and a smile:) Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Thweattheart
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Julie
New York NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  1:09:37 PM  Show Profile
Where I grew up in San Diego County, we always met someones gaze and smiled if they were close enough or waved if they were not...when I moved to NYC, my husband, who was born and raised here, told me I would have to stop doing that because people in the "Big City" just don't do that ... well that was 20 years ago and I've never quit but I am careful...some people look right past you like you're not even there, some will glare back at you but the ones who respond in kind usually look like they've just been given a blessing...It's a great joy when I get that kind of response...

Julie~
If not me...then who?
If not now...then when?

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:15:20 PM  Show Profile
I am a waver and a smiler too! I firmly believe that "attitude is everything... so SMILE!"
Can you see my waving over here on Long Island??? HA HA
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

nelliesue17
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Nellie
PA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:40:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm a "hey girl" in my emails, a waver, a smiler, and usually the first person to say hello to neighbors and people that I pass on the sidewalk in my small town.

I try to be the person that may touch the heart of someone that needs the warmth of a hello or a smile.

So hey all you farm girls out there here is a smile and a hello for you!!

Nellie Sue

Life is a bowl of beautiful bright berries
Go to Top of Page

Thweattheart
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Julie
New York NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile
I see you Laurie ...wavin' right back atcha!!

Julie~
If not me...then who?
If not now...then when?

Go to Top of Page

JudyT
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Judy
Southwest Wisconsin
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  5:34:13 PM  Show Profile
I too am waving back!

Judy~Farmgirl Sister #599
I was born a city girl, but I'm a "farmgirl" at heart, sharing my life at...http://dailyyarnsnmore.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  6:41:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm a waver and a smiler. I try to smile especially at people normally wouldn't get smiled at, like bus drivers or salespeople. Sending virtual waves to my farmgirl friends!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you wave? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page