Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Vintage Tablecloths and estate sales
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Vintage Tablecloths and estate sales Next Topic  

sewingwoman
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Giovonnia
Astoria New York
USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  11:19:30 AM  Show Profile
My Sweet Farmgirls:

Over the weekend I went to my first estate sale! If someone asks you to go to one, please do. I found it very interesting and educational.

I bidded on a mystery trunk that was owned by a woman who was a housewife during the 1950's. It turns out it was a kind of hope chest. It had inside the most wonderful vintage tablecloths, napkins and holders. I got a beautiful hand crochet one! I'm going to have it carefully dry cleaned. This has inspired me to make a chest for myself. But my mom says if you do that it jinxes you from getting married. But I was thinking about making a home collection of household linens.

I know you have to be savvy when you go to this things but I'm learning. If anyone knows where I can get a sewing pattern for tablecloth, please let me know. (I checked the regular pattern companies)

Happy Hunting.
Giovonnia
Farmgirl in training.

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  11:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Giovonnia -- I am totally addicted to vintage linens and especially tablecloths. What a find for you!! I'm so jealous!

I hope you don't mind if I make a recommendation about cleaning the tablecloth. Vintage fabrics are very fragile and any chemical solution could ruin the fibers. I would recommend testing your tablecloth (or any vintage fabric) to see if there is any dry rot of the fibers. You can do this by taking a corner and gently pressing with your finger on the fabric. If it rips then there is probably dry rot and it will disintegrate in water (ask me how I know this!). If the fabric is strong, then I would put it in the washer on warm water, gentle cycle with an oxygen based bleach and gentle laundry detergent. Let it agitate for a few minutes then turn off the washer.

Let the cloth soak for 24 hours in this solution. What you may find with linens from this era is lots of nicotine coming from the fabric. Everyone smoked in their homes at that time. If the water turns yellow then drain the washer and fill again with the solution, then let it soak for 24 hours. After soaking let the machine run it's gentle cycle. Then remove the cloth, roll in a towel to remove the excess water and, since it's a crochet piece, lay flat to dry. If it was cotton cloth then you could hang to dry.

Hope this helps you!

Handcrafted soaps and sundries at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  09:50:13 AM  Show Profile
Fabulous find! I lived in Astoria for awhile. Somehow between Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Flushing where my kids were born. Nice score!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  3:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Oh no do not ever put antique lace in a washing machine that spindale in the middle can shread the item apart. I do this for a living washing and repairing old crochet that is the worse thing possible. If item is real strong showing no dry rot or mold or any previous holes it can be soaked in a tub of water over night ( this can be a big rubber maid type plastic storage tube or a wash sink or just a bath tub). Shave a felsnaptha soap and use this in the water ( do not use any oxy type product especialy not bleach at first as this will weaken already old and weak threads) If item must be bleach put a little (lemon juice in the solution of water) and lay out in the back yard to dry on a clean white sheet on a nice sunny clear day) If the item has dry rot or other issues such as hole; based it to a piece of muslin before emmersing in water as just the weight of the water can shread an item. The fabric helps to keep the item from stretching and snapping under the weight of the water plus it makes it so your fingers are not going through the holes of the fabric adding more stress and pressure to individual points which can cause it to tear all the more. Soaking for twenty four hours is a good start. I suggest if the fabric is dirty to do this over and over again for up to one week of course changing the water each day and adding new soap. Just kind of swirl the water do not rub the lace on it self to scrub out a stain as this can cause undo wear to fragile pieces and can cause tears. When drying the item use as big of white towles as you have ( so not to transfer a dye color to the old crochet) and blot dry do not wring or scrunch more damage possible. Then lay flat hand blocking if weak pin blocking if strong. Best to have ventillation above and below the item. If you are a quilter and have the old style frames for quilting great pin up a piece of good strong fabric and lay your piece on top of that to dry ( on a nice sunny day) do not place under trees bird messes could occure. If not possible out side a garage will work or an unfinished basement. If it is to dry in the house an unfinished base ment make sure the water has soemwhere to drain also put some fans in the room to circulate the air around the item to make it dry faster if you can turn the heater on to dry out the house and help the item dry faster. You want it to dry as fast as possible ( with out using a drying machine as this too can tear an item to shreads) so that mold and mildew do not grow on it causing damage to the item I hope this is a help to you

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on May 15 2006 3:15:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  09:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
what ever came of your cleaning job onthis item did it get clean did it fall apart just curious

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Vintage Tablecloths and estate sales Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page