Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Anyone make a ShillyShally?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone make a ShillyShally? Next Topic  

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  4:42:49 PM  Show Profile
I am just curious if anyone here has made a ShillyShally? While we do not do a whole lot of hiking/camping yet (our children are so tiny, and I just am not a MaryJane YET LOL!), but with all the work we have been doing outdoors, I thought it might be nice to make one of these to protect our necks from the sun (and to help keep us cool).

Can you share how you made one and pictures too!

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  07:02:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you asked! I haven't made one yet, but as it's entering comfortable camping season, I was thinking that I'd make one for me and one for my sister - I haven't started yet, but I'm anxious to see the responses, too. What a handy thing this seems like!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  07:54:55 AM  Show Profile
I made one a while back and I love it. I have found over a hundred uses for it, it's just so handy! I have a picture of the embroidery I did on it on my website SmallTownGirl.us .We should have a contest to see who can come up with the most uses for one. Rose

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  08:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Rose - love your needlecrafts! Did you get your lamb purse inspiration from Wee Felt Folk?

I just use a scarf - like a wedge - I cut from an old check tablecloth so it's a bit heavier fabric. I just wet it and tie it around my neck. Is that what a shillyshally is?
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  1:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
I can't be the only one. What is a ShillyShally?
Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  2:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Me too Kathy, I'm wondering the same thing! (I looked it up online, and it's definition is "procrastination"....I can't imagine it having anything to do with that! LOL)

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Edited by - sonflowergurl on May 08 2006 2:38:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  4:25:24 PM  Show Profile
It's a large towel for many uses.
It's featured in MaryJanes book.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  03:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
What kind of uses? It was said, "While we do not do a whole lot of hiking/camping yet (our children are so tiny, and I just am not a MaryJane YET LOL!), but with all the work we have been doing outdoors, I thought it might be nice to make one of these to protect our necks from the sun (and to help keep us cool).

I guess I need to see the book (one of these days, hopefully), but do you get it wet and wear it on your head? I'm confused. LOL

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  06:39:27 AM  Show Profile
MJ's photo in her book shows her wearing it loosely around her shoulders and neck; and yes, wet- for the cooling affect.

"The book" is in libraries now, if that is helpful to you!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  07:44:39 AM  Show Profile
It is used for most anything. A blanket to help keep you warm. A tablecloth. Over your neck to protect it from the sun and keep you cool. I believe she used a 3' square of muslin? Anyone remember? I checked out my copy from the library (saving up to buy the book).
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  1:29:35 PM  Show Profile
I have been devoring MJ's book. Received it as a gift from my mother. She says I am a true farmgirl at heart and the book reminded her of me. Anyway...back to a shillyshally. In the book it is a 36" square cut of lightweight cotton or muslin. It has been embroidered with a lovely design and MJ uses it for many, many things like mentiond in a previous post: table cloth, head covering, wetted as a neck cooler, light wrap for warmth etc. I am planning on making one really soon. I can't embroider well, so will probably do a small machine embroidery on it or an applique. Hope this helps.
Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  1:38:07 PM  Show Profile
Going to get my MJ book out and look that up, sounds like something I could even do, wonder ifs its one layer of material hemmed, or a double layer?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  1:46:10 PM  Show Profile
Rose
What nice things on your web site!! I noticed you don't price anything, do you sell your things?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone make a ShillyShally? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page