Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Moving to MN and Iowa Next Topic  

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  7:11:36 PM  Show Profile
What a great place, so glad I found it. Was looking for information on heating our new home, she is old and treated badly. The former owners tried to strip it out before they were evicted, they did a pretty good job,lol.

We have 6 acres and I am already trying to plan where to plant what! This has been my dream forever and so glad it is finally coming true.

Nice to meet all you super people and thank you already for the good advice I have found.

Barbara

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  7:15:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group Barbara! 6 acres sounds wonderful..I think that would be about a perfect amount of land!
It will be fun to hear about what you do at your new place. Our house is old too...and although I only wanted an old house and wouldn't change that for the world, it does have some drawbacks. We were lucky enough to have had the last owners put a new furnace in just a year before moving so we are lucky that way. We have a backup woodstove too, but it dosn't heat the entire house.
So are you in Minnesota..or Iowa?? I lived in Minnesota and loved it there (Many years ago!)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  09:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny,

My Husband's job is in MN and the house is in Iowa, sits by itself in the middle of fields. Hubby is already working on the plumbing and heating, we are going to reinstall the radiators on the second floor, we found them in a shed. People had run piping all over the place, don't know how they figured to hide them, looks really awlful. I bought a really nice wood stove at a yard sale a couple of years ago, knew it would come in handy one day. Husband is putting in radiant heat for first floor, easy because he can install it from basement. We are looking at either woodfired or corn fired boiler to heat with, oil or gas would be too expensive. My goal is to reley on public utilities as little as possible, I have already collected some barrels to use for rain barrels. I have also printed out lots of information on windmills and solar which I hope to install along the line.

One big goal is finding replacement wood molding for over the doors and windows, most of this was also ripped out. They even took the kitchen sink,lol.

Thank you for your kind welcome,

Barbara
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  09:53:38 AM  Show Profile
WElcome, Barbara. I sure look forward to hearing how you find replacement things for your old farmhouse. They are out there, at salvage yards and flea markets. There are even some new moldings now that look like the old ones. You are lucky to have the opportunity to be a for real farmgirl and glad to have you here!

Peace
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  3:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Barbara, welcome to the farm! I used to live in Manitoba, Canada, not too far from the Minnesota border. I can't say I miss the really cold winters anymore!
Sounds like you have a real project ahead of you with the house. That would be something I would really love to do. You have a blank slate ahead of you - have fun!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 10 2006 :  7:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Hi Barbara!! Im also from Iowa! and also in the process of fixing up our old farmhouse, its our family farm but nobody has done anything to keep it up! Im glad you found us!! Enjoy the forum!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1819 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1819 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  07:37:28 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from another Iowa girl! I am interested in your projects to remodel an old farmhouse. We recently bought the 10 acres that was the farmstead of my parents farm. The buildings are very run down and we decided that instead of remodeling the old farmhouse we are tearing it down and using the wood to rebuild a smaller home. Finding alternatives for heating fuels are an excellent idea.
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  08:12:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MBurns

Welcome from another Iowa girl! I am interested in your projects to remodel an old farmhouse. We recently bought the 10 acres that was the farmstead of my parents farm. The buildings are very run down and we decided that instead of remodeling the old farmhouse we are tearing it down and using the wood to rebuild a smaller home. Finding alternatives for heating fuels are an excellent idea.

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MBurns

Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  08:22:27 AM  Show Profile
It will be a long process but well worth it. Thank you all for the great welcome and maybe we can have some sort of reunion for the Iowa and MN people. Pot luck or something.

If in tearing down the houses anyone has any left overs, please let me know as I may have use for it. This home has carved molding over doors and windows, not real fancy but nice. Unfortunatly quite a bit of it is torn out, I guess they were trying to take as much as they could to sell. So am looking to replace that. In Madison WI the Habitat for humanity has a store for things they have salvaged so hope to find something like that in new area.

Again, thank you for warm welcome and all hints and suggestions are sure welcome. If I could figure out how to access my pictures I would post some,lo.

Barbar[:)
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
A get together would be so fun! Where at in Iowa are you moving to?

Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  09:59:34 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Barbara-I look forward to reading updates on your new old home and land. I hope you find the things you are needing to restore it. Sounds like she is being treated well and is in good hands now. :)

Enjoy!
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  12:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Barbara - it sounds like you have some exciting work ahead of you on your home and farm. You've definitely found the place for like-minded folks! Happy to have you!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  09:01:41 AM  Show Profile
We are in Thompson IA which is a very small town from what I can tell. I am still in WI packing up the old place, if anyone is moving near Madison and needs a place let me know,lol. There is a town with Mills in it's name which is close and also Mason. I can't wait until we are fully moved and I can do some exploring.
Thank You again for warm welcome, this site is so great.
quote:
Originally posted by sugarsfarm

A get together would be so fun! Where at in Iowa are you moving to?

Mahatma Gandhi

Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Barbara.Our house is old too. Some of the moulding had to be remade.Our friend works for the park service and had all the tools for reproducing the moulding.We are still sanding the wood around the windows and walls.The laquer is so old and it's cracked and the moulding along the floor has paint spots all over it! A little at a time! Last night I started tearing up the carpet on the stairs.It's dark brown and old and smelly! There was so much dirt under it.Then I had to vacuum AND scrub the stairs.Now I need to find some CHEAP carpet to put back,as they are slippery and there is a wide strip of beige color where I painted the edges but not under the rug! Good luck!!!
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  10:03:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
Well I looked up Thompson cause I hadnt heard of it...haha...and its basically straight north of me about 2 1/2 hrs... I hope you like Iowa as much as I do!

Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  09:14:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey, we are almost neighbors,lol.
quote:
Originally posted by sugarsfarm

Well I looked up Thompson cause I hadnt heard of it...haha...and its basically straight north of me about 2 1/2 hrs... I hope you like Iowa as much as I do!

Mahatma Gandhi

Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  6:37:11 PM  Show Profile
I am 2 hours south and west of you in Spencer. Hmmm....we may have to have an Iowa/Minnesota get together this summer???

Hope you like Iowa!
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - May 31 2006 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
That would be wonderful kristin!!

Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  12:09:25 PM  Show Profile
We'll have to figure out a halfway point for all of us. That way no one has to travel too far.

Maybe we should start a new thread and look for others who are interested???
Go to Top of Page

vtharvestfolkart
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

doreen
West Pawlet VT
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  04:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Send vtharvestfolkart an AOL message
Welcome Barbara. It sounds like you have a lot of great ideas to repair your injured farm house. Good luck with everything.

Take care
doreen

Please take a look at my folk art. http://www.crowsoup.com/Market1137.php

"IT'S GOOD TO HAVE AN END TO JOURNEY TOWARDS....BUT IT'S THE JOURNEY THAT MATTERS IN THE END"
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Moving to MN and Iowa Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page