Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Gathered Up
 Where can I find silent movie DVDs for celebration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Gathered Up: Previous Topic Where can I find silent movie DVDs for celebration Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  8:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Our town is celebrating their 125th and the committee wants to have old time silent movies as part of the celebration at our new movie theater. The theater is compatible to dvd's and blue ray. Anyone know where we can get movies like City Lights, Sherlock Jr, Duck Soup, Mark of Zorro, or Abbott and Costello Meet the Keyston Cops on DVD or blue ray?

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  06:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Find someone who has a Netflix subscription or call your local video rental place.

You can even pick them up at Sam's pretty cheap.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  07:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Check E-bay.

Enter silent movies in you browser.

Check the dollar stores.

My hubby is a huge silent movie fan. We find them at Best Buy from time to time. They can help you find them too.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile
MrsRooster, Dumb question, are all silent movies set to music. Do some have the orignal scores and same moive produced by different companies complete with different music? How do I tell if we are getting original score and movies?
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Some one would just play the music on a piano or organ. Some movies had a set score, most would be the music that the player just thought fit.

Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney SR. 1925??) The DVD plays the music thru the film. Some do, some don't. You would have to check it. Lon Chaney SR's are all really good. "The Shock" plays music too. I think all the one my hubby has does.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
On another note, films were not rated as they are now. So you may want to watch a film before showing to know the content. Some things were allowed that might not be ok for all ages.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  07:32:35 AM  Show Profile
I did find three movies that were played at the movie theater the day of our celebration. They were a hit. The movies were donated to the local library and now can be rented out by the community.
Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Where can I find silent movie DVDs for celebration Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page