Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A Forgotten Flag---Update!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Forgotten Flag---Update!!!! Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  1:58:52 PM  Show Profile
My letter to the editor was in today's paper and so my DH and I decided to take a drive to the high school when lo and behold as we rounded the corner----TA DA!! A brand spanking new flag was gracefully blowing in the the afternoon breeze!!!

This afternoon I picked my kids up at school and remembered a poem called A Forgotten Flag

I saw a flag the wind had tattered
No one to care or think it mattered!
Wind torn and faded stripes were flapping
Pale stars upon dim blue were napping!
I wondered if a bugle blowing,
Would rouse our country to bestowing…
Upon our flag more true devotion;
And stir our hearts with real emotion!
Forgotten there, so bravely flying,
A symbol worn, but never dying!
A challenge to a nation sleeping
A loyal sentry, watch is keeping!

~Edna R. Zunino~

The flag at the school was in very poor shape so I sent a letter to the editor of our local newspaper requesting that this be submitted with the hopes that it would draw attention to the sad shape of the flag presently flying above our school and that we can get it replaced with a new one.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com

Edited by - melody on May 26 2010 2:31:29 PM

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  2:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Melody contact your local American Legion they have given out Flags free and retired the old for years.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  2:44:35 PM  Show Profile
I remember when the flag used to be taken in every evening and after school. But now they keep them up all the time and even in the rain. That used to be a no-no. What happened? Is it just one more thing to have to deal with? It's sad and that poem says it all. So many people have fought and died for our country and for that flag to be flown. It's a shame the way it's treated now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  3:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
They still have a group of children come out in the afternoon to take down the flags where my younger kids go. But these kids had not been taught the proper way to hold and fold the flag. There's a gentleman that waits everyday for his daughter. This gentleman is a retired marine. And well let's just say the kids know how to handle a flag now. He had a talk with the principal. He taught the kids how to fold and handle our flag and even arranged for a member of the American Legion to come out and go over it all again with them. The school still honors Veteran's Day in our town. The veterans from the VFW and American Legion all come out and talk to the kids, but I wonder how many of them are really paying attention. I know I teach mine that the 4th of July is about way more than fireworks. I hope that they will pass it onto their friends and someday onto their children.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  5:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Diana...I thought the American Legion did that-Thanks for telling me I will get a hold of them if nothing comes from the letter to the editor.

I grew up in the military and get goosebumps when our national anthem is played. When at the end of the day, flags were lowered on base and someone played taps EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE stopped what they were doing- driving their car, walking down the sidewalk-we just STOPPED out of respect. That has always stayed with me; the reverence and the pride of being an American. It just makes me very sad and dismayed to see a flag flying in that condition.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  6:14:19 PM  Show Profile
I think what you describe speaks to more than our Flag but, our society as a whole and the lack of respect for what the Flag stands for and the loss of the lives that have fought to keep our Country free and our Flag waving. I hope that this Memorial day more reverence will be paid for the cost that has been paid on our behalf.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  10:07:23 AM  Show Profile
At the school where I worked for many many years the flag is put up in the morning and always taken down after school when the Janitor went home. He was very particular about that.
Try not to lump us all into a negative comment. We love our flag and we love our country. Thanks. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  1:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Hooray!

My letter to the editor will be published in the paper! Maybe this will bring about a new flag for the High School--Keep your fingers crossed!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  2:00:41 PM  Show Profile
(keeping them crossed)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  7:08:18 PM  Show Profile
I think if you let the local veterans group know that the flag is left out someone may volunteer to bring it in. that happened in our town.

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  03:37:35 AM  Show Profile
I wish certain traditions and ways of life would return ....like these examples. And you know, I seriously believe that some may be due to the fact that newer parents have never grown up knowing about war, or fighting in one like the folks who were raised by WWII or Korean or Viet Nam veterans.

There for a while there was a huge gap when peace prevaled. That was a very good thing, but it has caused us to loose our focus and guts to fight for what is right and just

I too get a lump in my throat every time the National Anthem is played

And yes, I am a daughter of a veteran
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  04:17:36 AM  Show Profile
I so understand your feelings of love for country and the flag. I was born on the 4th of July, and all my life I have loved this country and what it stands for. God bless our country, and I keep hoping that patriotism comes back strong.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:04:53 AM  Show Profile
Good Job Melody!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:32:25 AM  Show Profile
The regulations state that the flag can be flown 24/7, but it must be an all-weather flag and it must be illuminated. If it begins to show signs of wear, it should be retired. I am a veteran and at one time only several places in the world could fly the flags 24/7, otherwise is was sunrise to sunset. I get so tired of seeing ripped up flags flying, it breaks my heart. There is an online site that will give you official regulations regarding the use of the United States flag.

Good work, Melody.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:42:01 AM  Show Profile
I guess it's true what they say about a squeaky wheel.

You would not believe some of the comments my kids were bombarded with when the staff at the school found out I was their mother and had submitted the letter to the editor-Positive yes, but in a sarcastic kind of way. My DD when approached by one teacher asked her if my name was Melody well she responded with " Oh no, what did she do now!" LOL! I don't care at least the flag has been replaced!

Now I find that whenever I see a flag pole I check out the condition of the flag!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Melody. And that's funny about your daughter!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Forgotten Flag---Update!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page