Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 40's- 50's Halter Top Pattern?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic 40's- 50's Halter Top Pattern? Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:39:53 AM  Show Profile
I saw some really cute halter tops yesterday at a craft fair. They were one size fits all, which was just too big for me. I'd like to make one , and I'm looking for some tips.
The halter top had a bit of a 40's- 50's look to it. It tied at the back of the ribs with a medium width band, and again at the neck from straps that came up from the cups. The cups were triangles that gently overlapped. There was a small pleat or gather at the base of the cups. The cups seemed like they were meant to give coverage all the way onto the rib cage, vs the type bikini cups that really just cover the breast. The cups were too tall for me, coming up too high on my chest and then buckling. Because of the design that gave a lot of coverage onto the ribcage, they really did seem one size fits most.
They were just really cute, and seemed perfect for being at home in the Texas heat. Has anyone seen or made a pattern for this type halter top? I've tried to google, but nothing suitable has come up.
Thanks!!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile
When I was a kid my mom made halter tops for us. Two triangles in the front gathered below the bust and then a band around the bottom with a triangle point in the middle. She would cut patterns from newspaper and then fit it to each of us girls individually. She made them out of cotton prints and pretty sure they were scraps as we didn't have much money back then. Not sure if this will help but give it a try.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  8:04:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Ingrid!
That gives me food for thought. I was planning on using scraps, too. I have figured out how to assmble the top, and now I just need to work on fitting it.!
I love the image of your mom working to fit each of you.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic 40's- 50's Halter Top Pattern? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page