kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:35:48 AM  Show Profile
that you are smarter than a goat, think again! Those are some very smart animals. I think if they were put in a maximum security prison facility, they would get out. They could sqeeze under, jump over, go through and go in between anything they put their mind to. If they want out bad enough, nothing will stop them.

I have fixed fences and thought, surely that will keep them in. Then a few minutes later, there they are on the other side and down the road. It's amazing the places they have gotten out of.

So just be careful where you put a goat. If you think they are secure and in there for life, HA! They will outsmart you in no time at all. That's just the way they are.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  06:45:23 AM  Show Profile
goodmorning kris, i agree totally. lol well mr. bill is still here. want to be sure everyone is covered.so yesterday he pushed fences all day. i pushed back. i am so ready for hi to leave now. sweet boy but too pushy. when i want to pet a girl he is there. when i take one out he is there. i am sorry you are having such a time. i hate it when i try and try and they still get out.hang in there.i had to put some hay bales against a fence to stop him.
hows DH doing with his diabetes these days. kissie is doing better now. kids bounce back like nothing happened.her mom is just spent. they are afraid to sleep now. so they are up checking her a lot. i know it will get better for us all. at least with kissie mom is in control
still digging plants for the farm girls here. it seems that if i think i can get something done in a day it will take a week. such is life. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:03:00 AM  Show Profile
I learned many years ago that goats have invisable wings,lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! What type of fencing are you using, Kris? But I agree, they are crafty buggers!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  07:47:10 AM  Show Profile
You are so right Kris - Goats will keep you on your toes.. I think that is what I like about them so much - however somedays it feels like I have 45 toddlers running a muck.. One trick I use is to watch them from the house and give them 5 minutes and they will show you how they get out. I had for a whole Spring a couple who just would find every tiny crack to get out. This is where those horns come into play - once their horns really came in they could not esscape. Now since my herds are so stable no one tries to get out in fact I can let my old guys out of the fenceline and they just graze around and then at dusk they put themselves back - what a joy.

Hang in there - Goats can try out nerves but they make up for it in love.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  08:05:26 AM  Show Profile
I think I have every kind of fence there is. I KNOW barbed wire is worthless for goats. But I have it all along the tops of most of the fences. I have page wire, field fence, electric, chain link, wooden picket fence, cattle panels. Is there any more? I'm sure it's here. But the other day I had them all up front for the day. The grass and weeds were getting knee deep up there. I couldn't even see the kids in there. I had the does out back then milked them and put them up front. I had to go get my hubby from his truck and when we got back I could not see or hear the goats. They had gotten out through a little tiny place that I thought was fixed and had all (10 of them) gone back through the yard to their yard out back. And didn't touch a thing in the yard on the way!. It must of been pitch dark or else they were in a big hurry. It's a good thing I had left their gate open back there. They were all out there laying down. I hope I have that spot fixed again where they can't get out.

So all the does are up front now with the kids out back. They are still there. I had to put all kinds of barbed wire and other wire along the top of the other fence to keep them from getting into the garden. Hope that works. It's good so far.

Sherrye, I'm glad your granddaughter is doing better. And that you find a home for the buck. I think if I don't sell all these bucklings I will keep them out in the pasture with the cows til we can get them butchered. I'd like to keep Sadie's buck though. He's too sweet. I'll wether him and keep him with the cows.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  1:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
hmm, yes my goats are very smart but I have never had that trouble. lol They respect the fence and won't challenge it. Sorry you ladies are having trouble.
Hugs!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  1:45:43 PM  Show Profile
I just got back home and they are all still where I left them!! I was afraid the whole time they would get out and start eating azaleas and all get sick and die. But I had a metal fence post and the heavy red fence post banger thing pushing against the gate. Plus it's raining so they are all inside the barns. Now I have to go milk 4 goats that are all full of milk right now.

Channah, never say never! Especially where gaots are concerned.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  2:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
ok, but I really have had no problem so I feel blessed.
Hugs
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

1cutecricket
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Cristi
Brevard NC
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  7:02:20 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I solved our escaping Nigerian dwarf goat problem by giving them their own car. We had a totally stripped 1973 VW bug parts car, no wiring, insulation, interior, glass motor etc. We took of the doors put a plywood floor in it, he welded the hood open and the engine compartment closed. Painted it bright red and they love it. They even perch on the roof with the spare tire well in the front being a favorite spot.

Cristi

"Critters make life better!!!"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  7:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cristi. Welcome to the forum! That is a great idea for the goats. But a VW? My favorite car. But I guess if it was all for parts it'd ok. I bet they do love playing in and on it. I would love to see pictures of that.

I have lots of stumps and things for the kids to play on. The does don't "play" anymore. Too busy eating. Hm, sounds like me.

Sadie is still jumping through the fence out into the hay field next door. I saw her do it today. With barbed wire on the top, too. There is a big enough gap for her to leap right through. She's the only one that does that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  07:56:44 AM  Show Profile
Every goat farm I have been to uses SEVERAL lines of 'hot wire' plus a good dose of woven fencing. Yes, barbed wire is worthless for a goat. I did enjoy my goats however, there were 3 big negatives, which led to me selling them:

Screamed at me day and night, not content unless I was in the pen.
Escaped all fences and got waaaaay too close to my herbs/veggies
Though they ate the poison ivy, they were covered in it, so I couldn't pet them/medicate w/o putting myself at a big risk.

It's too bad, too, because I really did enjoy them a lot.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  09:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
We have a couch, a easy chair with ottoman, and 2 matresses in our goat pen. It is so funny to go out and see a goat sitting in a chair, or laying on the couch...lol.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  11:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh that is so funny Brandee! Can you post pictures?!?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  3:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I will get some to post! it is so funny to see. We have seen 2 goats in the chair at once or one lays on the back and one sits in the seat...lol

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, sounds like some pretty spoiled goats around here.

Amanda, I know what you mean. I am trying to downsize here to just 2 does. I have way too many for my good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1cutecricket
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Cristi
Brevard NC
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  6:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris, thank you for the welcome. The goat bug as it is affectionately known was just to far gone to fix. We have restored several bugs, they are my favorite car too. I still have a 1973 super beetle. Fun little car, we both drive and show it. The goats also find their car the perfect place to escape from our miniature horses when they harass them.

Cristi

"Critters make life better!!!"
http://MyCritterCreations.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  08:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Cristi, I had a '70 VW beetle for 15 years. Then gave it to my DD and she drove it about 6 years. I put 2 motors in it and a transmission and painted it and did the floors and all kinds of things to it. Then she had to have a motor put in. That car was worth at least $50,000. by the time we were done driving it. Maybe not quite that much but near enough. I want an old VW camper now and another bug.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  09:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Here are a few pics of my goats. There is one of them on the chair, and one with one on the footstool and one on the mattress...lol

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  09:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Sorry about that top one. i cropped them and the quality went down hill....lol Plus i was taking them from my porch....lol

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  10:48:37 AM  Show Profile
That's so cute. They really do look comfy. I bet when one gets up another is there waiting.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic If You Ever Start To Think Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page